Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Sir Charles Warren have the GSG erased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Sir Charles Warren have the GSG erased?

You all have your own theories and ideas here; let's see them.
    He really was afraid of the possibility of anti-Semitic riots
    63.64%
    He knew who the Ripper was and was trying to protect him
    4.55%
    He knew that the Ripper must have been a fellow Mason and was trying to protect him
    4.55%
    It was a panicked and not rational decision
    13.64%
    He just really wasn't very good at LVP law enforcement
    9.09%
    He didn't really order it to be erased - it was all a mistake
    0%
    He thought it had already been photographed
    0%
    He had no real reason or agenda - he just did it
    0%
    He did it just to spite future ripperologists
    4.55%
    The true reason was and is unknown
    0%

I do believe that he did fear anti-semitism, but that his decision to erase them was a bit panicky.

Comment

Phil
      That's what I feel too.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

nothing deep

Hello Tim. Thanks for starting this poll.

First choice seems correct. I see nothing deep going on here.

Regards to conspiracy theorists.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Agree, something of a combination of panicky and fear of anti-Semitic outbursts, but more on the side of panic.

There's no reason the graffiti couldn't have been left there long enough to photograph - in fact, the reality that it was erased and all we are left with are a few conflicting versions of the wording and the circumstances of its discovery has probably caused more problems than what would originally have been caused if it had been left alone in Goulston Street for a bit longer.

After all, there is nothing specific in the message which blames the Jews for something in particular.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

IMHO there were probably dozens of similar messages scrawled on walls all over London at the time - the circumstances of this particular one (the bit of apron nearby) are the only reason in has been thrust into the limelight. Still, given the facts, it just about beggars belief that it was ordered to be removed.
            Tel
            Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Comment

Hi all,

I've gone for choice 1, but I fully agree with Tel.
              Dave
              "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Apologies

Originally posted by admin tim View Post
                You all have your own theories and ideas here; let's see them.
                Hi Tim.
                Excellent threadstarter!

However I got embroiled in such a debate upon THE STRANGE CASE OF JAMES JOHNSON thread by A P Wolfie in the suspects section at the same time this thread was just up and running.

Hence much of my opinion and thoughts are written there.

The only aspect remaining to debate on my part is of the shambolic way in which the police dealt with such a clue / evidence???
                I wish to offer the fact that if Warren had not already tendered his resignation . . . He without doubt would have been sacked!

Regards
                Jackdaw :-)

Comment

Jumped before he was pushed would be the scenario there I reckon, Jackdaw.

Tel is correct. I don't see any correlation between the apron and the graffiti and I don't believe the same person was responsible for both, it was just coincidence. However, being chalk writing, it indeed must have been fairly fresh.

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Fine post, Jon. My sentiments exactly.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing when you're able to see everything that happened before and since and not have the responsibility of making quick decisions that WILL have repercussions of some kind no matter what that decision is.

And speaking of sacking Warren if he had not resigned... I can guarantee that Henry Matthews would not have made any decision regarding that matter if he had been there. He would have left it to Warren and then left him to hang out and dry. He did it with he house-to-house search controversy as well as the reward and pardon debate.

Most historical figures who are vilified are done so for being indecisive and vacillating, which is usually the case. At least Charles Warren was not one of these. He took the responsibility and made a decision... for what he thought was a greater concern at the time.

It never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded and literally ignorant many people in this field are and continue to be.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                      Jumped before he was pushed would be the scenario there I reckon, Jackdaw.

Tel is correct. I don't see any correlation between the apron and the graffiti and I don't believe the same person was responsible for both, it was just coincidence. However, being chalk writing, it indeed must have been fairly fresh.

Cheers,
                      Adam.
                      Fine post Adam. But not my sentiments entirely.
                      The chalked message was FRESH and may well have been written by the murderer.

It never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded and literally ignorant many people are re GSG.

LITERALLY IGNORANT - How many of the Cops, including Warren and Arnold, wrote the message down correctly word for word before it was washed off the wall?
                      The Coroner himself was not impressed by their lack of literal / grammar skills!

NARROW MINDED - If the message was considered to be racially immflamatory then how could it ignite a riot if it was covered up for a few hours till first light to be photographed?

And I oft wonder where all these so called rioters were going to come from at such a time of day come night?
                      Especially if there is nothing to see?

I am afraid the City Police lost such arguments.
                      And Warren got his Way.

Regards
                      Jackdaw :-)

Comment

Matthews

Hello Cris. Hmm, you must have the same opinion of Matthews as I have.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Matthews was a politician, Lynn; need I say more.
                          Warren was a soldier, where being decisive was a matter of course for those responsible for the men under their command and the actions they were to undertake.

Warren was hired for the very traits he possessed and then ridiculed when he exercised them. He was glad to get back in the army where he knew the enemy was before him instead of behind...and honor, loyalty and trust weren't just hollow words from some stump speech.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Cris Malone

Comment

Warren was hired for the very traits he possessed and then ridiculed when he exercised them. He was glad to get back in the army where he knew the enemy was before him instead of behind...and honor, loyalty and trust weren't just hollow words from some stump speech.
                            -Cris Malone-

Excellent, Cris....thank you
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

roll

Hello Cris. Thanks.

"Matthews was a politician, Lynn; need I say more."

Frankly, no. (heh-heh)

"Warren was hired for the very traits he possessed and then ridiculed when he exercised them."

Right again.

You ARE on a roll.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X