Did the Police Even Come Close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Police Even Come Close?

Did the authorities in 1888 even come close to catching JTR? Did they interview him and let him go? Did they almost catch him in the act in Mitre Square? Did they have him under surveillance? Surely Abberline knew more than he was telling.....
    YES - and the police should have done so.
    0.00%
    YES - several times. That is why he quit killing.
    12.50%
    YES - but it would have taken extraordinary luck to catch him.
    12.50%
    YES - but it would've taken a bloomin' Sherlock Holmes to do so.
    0.00%
    YES - although neither he nor the police ever realized it.
    31.25%
    YES - actually, they knew who he was, but were prevented by politics from arresting him.
    6.25%
    YES - they actually brought him in for questioning at least once.
    25.00%
    YES - they actually interviewed him several times.
    0.00%
    YES - one of the PC's suspected him, but the clueless bureaucrats in authority didn't bother listening to him.
    6.25%
    NO - they never even came close.
    6.25%

There were also several different factions of police working on the case at once. Or should I say "competeting" for the prize of saying they were the ones to capture the Ripper. Needless to say, I'm sure in many instances where information could have been shared it was not, and that would only benefit the Ripper in evading capture.

Comment

Out Of Their League ?

..Or it could be that the police were out of their league for this series of crimes. This isn't a slap at the police,despite their internecine squabbling( much like Old New York cops..) in trying to "one-up" the other force. No, I really believe that they were facing the type of killer that sped the advancement of crime science. The studies of Lombroso were replaced with the science of Spilsbury as a result of a killer like the Ripper.
      To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
      X