Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack's Jack Poll: Where did he get his money?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack the workaholic I guess

Comment

Well, at least 10 out of 13 think Jack wasn't a burden to society.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Criminal enterprise and Charity or dole are tied with Pension and Gambling.

Comment

- and, in second place, a temp.

Comment

I wonder what regular job - doctor, lawyer, slaughterman, boatman?

Comment

Day or night job?

Comment

Which suspect was supported by family?

Comment

Another please post answer

Cotton broker .

Comment

Sailor
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact [email protected]

Comment

I have been reading recently of the Soviet "Red Spider" killer, Lucian Staniak

This serial killer appears to have chosen public holidays as the times for his murders to increase the dramatic impact

Just thought I'd throw that out there as the timing of some of the Ripper murders might be due to a similar consideration rather than due to time constraints stemming from his employment

For example, perhaps during the October lull, the Ripper was just waiting for Lord Mayors Day

Comment

I have been reading recently of the Soviet "Red Spider" killer, Lucian Staniak

This serial killer appears to have chosen public holidays as the times for his murders to increase the dramatic impact...
                        Nemo

Thanks for that,Nemo.
                        Allow me to ask whether Staniak stated that he chose holidays...or were the murders he committed found to have fallen on holidays ?
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Staniak was a translator for the government of Communist Poland according to my sources and was quite like the Ripper. He did state in one of his letters that "----there is no holiday without a funeral". I don't see why exactly unless it was just the time he had off from work or, as you say, to enlarge the drama. Yes Nemo, he could give us a lead for JtR perhaps - good thinking.

Comment

Thanks Stan

It isn't clear why he chose the holidays Howard

There are some other interesting aspects of this killer's psychology to consider

He committed Ripper like mutilations on some of his victims and also wrote letters in ink that was made from red artists paint

He referred to one victim as a "juicy flower"

A singular aspect of Staniak is that he stalked his victims

One was selected after her picture appeared in the newspaper and two were sisters who attended the same art club he did

The reason for beginning his campaign of murder appears to be revenge for the death of some of his family members in a hit and run car incident

He also represented death and disembowelment in some paintings

As far as I know he didn't compare himself to the Ripper or consider the Ripper crimes as a template

Comment

Holy flowers & funeral parade.

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                              He referred to one victim as a "juicy flower"

A singular aspect of Staniak is that he stalked his victims

One was selected after her picture appeared in the newspaper and two were sisters who attended the same art club he did

The reason for beginning his campaign of murder appears to be revenge for the death of some of his family members in a hit and run car incident

He also represented death and disembowelment in some paintings
                              About the painting and the flowers:

Inside Staniak's locker at the artists club a variety of knives used for daubing paint on canvas were found, plus several of Staniak's recent works. The artist favored red paint for the most part, and a painting he titled "The Circle of Life" made Major Ciznek of the Warsaw Homicide Squad confident that he'd found the Red Spider. It portrayed a cow eating a flower, the cow devoured by a wolf, the wolf shot by a hunter, the hunter run down by a female motorist, and the woman lying in a field with her abdomen slashed open, flowers sprouting from the wound.

On 22 July 1964, two days after what seems to have been the first in the series of murders perpetrated by Lucjan Staniak, a Warsaw newspaper received a red-letter note saying:
                              "I picked a juicy flower in Olsztyn and I shall do it again somewhere else, for there is no holiday without a funeral."

As noted in the article at trutv.com
                              "Staniak had craved revenge but feared to kill the target of his rage, knowing that he would be the prime suspect. Instead, he had chosen a look-alike victim, picking his surrogate from a newspaper photo, and found that he enjoyed the act so much he kept it up for sport."

My guess woud be that the victims did, in a sense, represent "holy funeral flowers". The "holiday connection" may, on the one hand, relate to the fact that the husband of the woman that killed Staniak's parents and his sister was a pilot in the Polish Air Force, on the other hand, and perhaps more importantly, to funeral parades. The first killing happened on the twentieth anniversary of Warsaw's liberation from Nazi occupation in World War II. A great parade was scheduled in Warsaw itself, with smaller demonstrations planned throughout the country. The second victim had her picture published as she had been selected to lead a student parade through Warsaw. The fourth murder happened 1 May 1966, celebrated both as Labor Day and as the Communist Party's primary day of rejoicing. There would have been parades in all Polish cities. The third killing happened on All Saints Day, and the fifth on Chrismas Eve. All of it suggesting, I would say, that Staniak were in a sense "painting a picture with holy flowers", transferring his hatred, and his attempt to achieve a sense of closure, onto reality perceived to be a picture, much as he was used to when making his paintings. In my view that is clearly also a possible lead in this case; a major difference, of course, being that what may have been the last killing of the murder series happened a mere few hours before the great Lord Mayor's Day parade. The latter thus possibly contributing to a sense of closure.

See also regression & complex thinking
                              (*V*)

Comment

Very interesting Pilgrim

Thanks for that

I would just point out that Staniak was convicted for 6 murders but admitted to 20

I'm not certain these other 14 cases were the same 14 cases investigated by the police which did not occur on public holidays

Apparently one of the detectives calculated that such a brutal serial killer would not be able to confine himself to public holidays and managed to collate evidence from 14 unsolved but similar murders in Poland

The locations of these murders suggested that the murderer was travelling via train from his home town - which proved to be correct in Staniak's case as he had a free rail pass (if these are the same 14 that is)

Comment

Working...
                                X