Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack's Jack Poll: Where did he get his money?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubious admissions.

I agree, Nemo, it should be noted, of course, that Staniak did, as it may seem, say that he had committed up to 14 other murders. I suspected, though, that they probably were somewhat dubious admissions. So, I searched and found a Polish Wikipedia article about Staniak. The following sentence seemed relevant, possibly clarifying the issue:

W czasie przesłuchań przyznał się do wszystkich zbrodni, jednak dokładnie opisał tylko 6 wyżej wymienionych, dlatego istnieje przypuszczenie, że do przyznania się do kolejnych 14 został zmuszony przez śledczych podczas przesłuchania.

I found what would seem a fairly accurate Polish-English translation service (here), somewhat strengthening the interpretation in my previous post, of the "canonical murders":

During interrogation he admitted to all the crimes, but only 6 accurately described above, and therefore it is suspected that the admission of another 14 has been forced by the investigators during questioning.
    (*V*)

Comment

That's correct Pilgrim, there has been speculation that the police were clearing their books a bit by connecting Staniak with the other 14 crimes

Here's the piece in regard to the investigation / profiling which led to the identification of Staniaks home base of Katowice...

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...staniak/1.html

Major Ciznek of the Warsaw Homicide Squad was placed in charge of the Red Spider case, operating from certain basic assumptions.

First, he deemed it unlikely that a serial killer would confine his crimes entirely to high-profile holidays. A nationwide search for similar crimes turned up 14 more murders that seemed to fit the Red Spider's modus operandi, though none were accompanied by the trademark letters.

Dating from April 1964, five of the murders had occurred around Pozna, two at Bydgoszcz, and one each at Bialystok, Kielce, ód, Lomza, Lublin and Radom.

Plotting the murders on a map, Ciznek noted that most of the crime scenes lay south and west of Warsaw, in towns connected by direct rail lines to Katowice and Kraków. So far, neither of those cities had suffered attacks, supporting Ciznek's theory that the killer would not strike too close to home.

Although the theory of the police clearing their books may have some truth in it, there is also the possibility that Staniak was responsible for at least some of the other murders which commenced during 1964, the year of his first murder according to his own testimony

Full marks to Major Ciznek for his investigation by the way

Comment

Apologies for steering the thread off course Stan - I'll open a thread for Staniak

Comment

My apologies too.
          Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
          Which suspect was supported by family?
          I'm not 100% sure, as it is some time ago now, but it may have been me making that suggestion. Could be an artist unable to make a living off his paintings, perhaps.
          (*V*)

Comment

Thanks Pilgrim. Yes, I've read that somewhere.

Comment

I'm not sure if Kosminski would be considered supported by family or not.

Comment

Money and/or goods perhaps I should have a asked.

Comment

If he used more than one then what was the largest.

Comment

I guess no one thinks the killer was a fellow prostitute.

Comment

I think a man who had been brought up by unfortunates who prostituted him as a child would be a good candidate for having the mentality to commit the crimes, or obviously the boy JtR having an unfortunate for a mother (who may have done the same)

I haven't seen a lot more than a few reports of a young boy being in the presence of Mary Kelly, maybe not her son but a child prostitute? Him a reason for a previously abused male stranger to be enraged at her if she was pimping children in some fashion?

It's possible, child prostitution was known to have gone on and Dorset St was supposedly the worst place in London in more ways than one

Comment

A regular job. It might not necessarily be a steady one, in that he worked in one place for a year, or more. I think during the murder period, he may have had one regular place of employment.

Comment

Yes, a profession rather than a specific employer another way to view it.

Comment

What was Jack's most likely profession?

Comment

My "Other" explanation:

I wish you could check more than one answer on the poll, as that's what mine would be...

I think it was a combination of being supported by family, plus working off and on as some type of "assistant" in his family's trade or business...

I believe he was a furrier's assistant, actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
                                I guess no one thinks the killer was a fellow prostitute.
                                I think it could of been another woman as well. Folks tend to shy away from a woman committing such murders but a woman can be just as brutal as a man.

I frankly don't know what JTR did for a living and really don't feel like hazarding a guess. although I guess he or she might of had a job or training in human anatomy.

Comment

Working...
                                X