Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack's Jack Poll: Where did he get his money?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
    There were some jobs that had pensions though.
    I think mainly police and long term military.

Comment

• Anyway, about 4 in 5 think that Jack supported himself.

Comment

• Kosminski would be under family support as I recall.

Comment

• Maybe more like watched over.

Comment

• I agree with most posters in that the times/dates of the killings point to Jack having paid employment, at least during the summer and autumn of 1888. I don't think he had access to a cart or cab though, otherwise he might have been tempted to dump the bodies of his victims away from the district.

Comment

• Originally posted by Curryong View Post
              I agree with most posters in that the times/dates of the killings point to Jack having paid employment, at least during the summer and autumn of 1888. I don't think he had access to a cart or cab though, otherwise he might have been tempted to dump the bodies of his victims away from the district.
              So then the question would be; did he commit the murders during his off hours or did he have an occupation that gave him the freedom to kill women while he was on the job?

Comment

• If he killed during his on work hours then that would substantially limit the field.

Comment

• Victorian working days were extremely long by our standards. If Jack had the opportunity to kill during his working hours, however, surely one or two victims would have turned up during daylight hours?

We don't know the Ripper's occupation of course, but the times that the C-5 were found seems to point to a man enjoying late night, early morning endeavours before work the next day. With the exception of Kelly, of course, as it was a public holiday.

Comment

• Some occupations like hospital and steel mills can't give people holidays off; not if they want to stay in business.

Comment

Some occupations like hospital and steel mills can't give people holidays off; not if they want to stay in business.
                      Individuals may get the day off but there has to be a crew of some sort there every day of the year.

Comment

Some occupations like hospital and steel mills can't give people holidays off; not if they want to stay in business.
                        If steel mills shut down for the weekend then almost all their time would involve starting up and shutting down the mill rather than actually producing the metal.

Comment

• I think many workers in places like steel mills worked 7 days a week too.

Comment

• Anyway, pretty decisive on Jack the working man.

Comment

• Hmm, my post vanished.

Comment

• No it didn't Stan...I moved it.
                                To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
                                Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
                                X