Age of the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of the Ripper

Now I understand that this aspect, the age of Jack the Ripper, is only guessed. Yet, we have a murder spree, with, in my mind six murders, the first is Martha Tabram. She dies in an unusual circumstance, now after this the killer finds his "niche", so to speak, and kills in a patternistic fashion thereafter.

In my mind, and in the eyes of the profiler, this points his age in being around 20. The serial lust-murderer is usually over the age of 20, being that the youngest group of serial offenders are serial rapists, which range in their lower 20's, I believe Jack the Ripper to be in his late 20's early 30's.

Anyhow, what do you all think?

Please vote once ,

Public poll,

Thanks,

Corey
    Early 20's
    4.00%
    Late 20's
    28.00%
    Early 30's
    32.00%
    Late 30's
    24.00%
    Early 40's
    0.00%
    Other
    12.00%

I voted Cor.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks for the vote How, just something for fun. I came to the idea while reading Criminal Shadows. I mean I knew he had to be younger than 40(at least the more likely age is younger than 40) but the fact that if he did kill Tabram, and quickly developed his own, constant MO, then he must be older than 20.

Comment

Hi C,
        I've gone for late 20's, young enough to have the energy, old enough to know enough about techniques to stop blood flow before he cut. Young enough to be enticing to a jaded old harridan, without seeming threatening.

I'm a great believer in the 'invisible man' theory.
        Dave
        "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post
            I'm a great believer in the 'invisible man' theory.
            As hard on luck as these poor creatures were, a man with a heartbeat and a few 'pence' would have sufficed.
            Like shooting fish in a barrel.
            Best Wishes,
            Cris Malone

Comment

The vast majority of major witness descriptions had him around late 20's to mid 30's and I tend to go with that. I reckon he had a bit of a past, he didn't just jump out of nowhere and start ripping women up from nowhere, so he's sort of built up from a young age into the killings....but yes, probably not any more than, say, 45 or 50, and getting towards the age where the Victorian-era man would be physically incapable of making the brisk escapes from tight situations that the Ripper did.....

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

I've voted early 30's, as I feel from the quickly developed MO (if you consider Tabram as part of the series) it shows a certain amount of maturity and possible experience. To set an age range for myself I'd say late 20's to mid 30's (say 28-35).
                Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Hi Corey,

This has nothing to do with "Jacks" age, but I have a question for you to consider.

Many profilers (including John Douglas) believe that a high percentage of serial murderers start out by commiting arsons. On the night of Nichols' murder there was a fire at the docks. Many of the inhabitants turned out to see it, including one of Polly's friends. Do you think its possible that this man could have set this fire in an attempt to create a diversion to do other mischief?

Just a wild thought.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Cris Malone

Comment

Hello Jon, Adam,

Ditto your thoughts, thanks for voting.

Cris,

I used to think it was possible as well, yet if he did kill Martha Tabram, then this is even less possible. Yes, it is possible, but I do believe the fire was natural. Or at least perpertrated by someone else.

I would think if he did do that arson, the murder of Mary Nichols, or whoever it would have been, would have been on a later date, I also believe Tabram wouldn't have been murdered. This jump from arson to murder, in my opinion, is too great for it to happen in a day.

Nevertheless, it is a intruiging idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Cris Malone View Post
                      Hi Corey,

This has nothing to do with "Jacks" age, but I have a question for you to consider.

Many profilers (including John Douglas) believe that a high percentage of serial murderers start out by commiting arsons. On the night of Nichols' murder there was a fire at the docks. Many of the inhabitants turned out to see it, including one of Polly's friends. Do you think its possible that this man could have set this fire in an attempt to create a diversion to do other mischief?

Just a wild thought.
                      Hello Cris

Well it's another one of those "coinky-dinkies" isn't it? But just as the attempt to say that the links to the Jews must mean something falls apart because the majority of the links of the murders to the Jews are all on the same night, the night of the Double Event, this doesn't hold water quite either.

Jack might have started the fire as a distraction, but we know of no other similar behavior which might indicate he would likely have done that. Rather, it might seem more probable that the killer took advantage of the distraction of the fire, started by someone else (or accidentally), to commit the murder.

Cheers

Chris
                      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

All of my suspects are in the mid to late twenties.

Comment

I would say late 20's early 30's.

Comment

I voted late 20's and I think he probably did start out as an (unreported) arsonist and tearer of flies' wings before going on to assaults on women. If he was an arsonist as a child the red sky from the docks fire on the night of the 30th August may have given Jack a high.

Comment

I would have liked overlapping age ranges as we are all taking guesses though of course criminology and other associated sciences help us out. Hence, I voted other.

Comment

Working...
                              X