No announcement yet.

Why No October Murders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm never any good at picking one of anything. My thinking is always scattered. So I checked "more than one".

An obvious thought is things got awfully hot for Jack after the Double Event and the heat was increased by whoever was writing to the press. (I personally doubt Jack wrote any of the letters.)

There has been a lot of discussion about Jack possibly cutting himself with Eddowes and that this may be why he took a strip of her apron. (It is rather plainly stated that the apron piece was "cut" though exactly how is not made clear. I could see an injured Jack tearing off a chunk of fabric but have more difficulty thinking of him cutting fabric with an injured hand.) Possibly he was injured and needed time to heal.

Since his next known murder was indoors I have always suspected he was being watched and he knew he was watched. I do believe the police kept a good watch.

I also wonder if he changed his m.o. a bit in October. Did he chat up women and try to go home with them? Is there anything to what Mrs. Kennedy and the other woman said about a man who walked oddly luring her and her "sister" to an alley or whatever it was? He made an offer as I recall but I think she said he wouldn't "treat" them. He offered to pay or reward the one who would go away with him but he wasn't interested in buying them a drink in the pub? WAS Jack mentally ill and was this a desperate attempt to meet his desires? How many other women may have been similarly approached? I think I believe Jack was known to people in Whitechapel. Probably had the odd but harmless label. Possibly a label of creepy but he never hurt anyone.

Again I will mention that when people in those times became ill; colds, pneumonia, TB, VD, whatever, they got very ill. Possibly Jack was ill during October.

My strongest feeling is the police were doing an excellent job and only MJK's private room gave him the courage to start up again.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I could see an injured Jack tearing off a chunk of fabric but have more difficulty thinking of him cutting fabric with an injured hand.) Possibly he was injured and needed time to heal.
      --Anna Morris--

Anna...its possible that the Ripper cut himself while cutting off a piece of the apron.
      If he was injured, as in getting cut during the mutilation or tearing a piece off the apron, you'll recall that there was nothing anyone could do if their blood became contaminated.
      To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

True. It would be easy to cut a hand if one cut fabric with a knife. Easier than to get cut while butchering, so to speak. Unfortunate choice of words, but descriptive. Human to human infection is nasty.

Comment

Another possibility is that he was almost caught in Mitre Square giving him a scare and he laid low and changed his MO. Instead of picking his victims from street walkers he chose one (MJK) who had their own room.

Comment

Is the piece of apron still in the hands of the police? if so, and JtR cut himself, couldn't DNA samples be taken?

Cheers.
            Tim

Comment

Is the piece of apron still in the hands of the police? if so, and JtR cut himself, couldn't DNA samples be taken?
              -Tim Atkinson-

It isn't Tim.
              If it were, and tests could be made today, that would be a futile effort.
              Whose DNA would you have to compare it with, you know what I mean ?
              To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
              Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                -Tim Atkinson-

It isn't Tim.
                If it were, and tests could be made today, that would be a futile effort.
                Whose DNA would you have to compare it with, you know what I mean ?
                A process of elimination I guess. Most suspects will have living relatives.

Comment

If the piece of apron was in existence it could tell a lot. For example how many peoples' blood is present? If for example there were two female sources it could point to a knife previously being used on Liz Stride the same night. If no male blood was present it would possibly indicate Jack did not cut himself. Mitochondrial DNA, mtDNA comes from a mother only so it can be used to narrow down some aspects of an investigation.

Recently it has been said that a new technique can even tell what a person looked like but I am not sure how far along they are on this. I think it may be possible to tell hair and eye color from DNA at this time. Eye color on some of the suspects may be known though I don't remember reading about any suspect's eye color.

Also it might be possible to get some knowledge of the nationality of Jack if a male blood sample was found on the piece of apron which is no longer in existence. Especially if Jack was of a nationality very different from regular British people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                    If the piece of apron was in existence it could tell a lot. For example how many peoples' blood is present? If for example there were two female sources it could point to a knife previously being used on Liz Stride the same night. If no male blood was present it would possibly indicate Jack did not cut himself. Mitochondrial DNA, mtDNA comes from a mother only so it can be used to narrow down some aspects of an investigation.

Recently it has been said that a new technique can even tell what a person looked like but I am not sure how far along they are on this. I think it may be possible to tell hair and eye color from DNA at this time. Eye color on some of the suspects may be known though I don't remember reading about any suspect's eye color.

Also it might be possible to get some knowledge of the nationality of Jack if a male blood sample was found on the piece of apron which is no longer in existence. Especially if Jack was of a nationality very different from regular British people.
                    Damn good post, Anna. DNA would (in my opinion) eliminate a few suspects if there were to be any male blood samples.

Comment

What was the weather like that October? If it was foggy, for example, it might have been quite risky to go out hunting, especially with the increased Vigilante and police patrols. Those 'London Particulars', as they were known, could last for days. If October 1888 was exceptionally foggy Jack might have got a touch of bronchitis as well. A barking cough and wheeziness wouldn't be so great if you wanted to kill without attracting attention!

Comment

My post #68 was a bit prescient. Hmmmm....

The answer to the question posed here is obvious. Kosminski lost the shawl he took to the previous murders. It was like a security blanket and he could not function without it. So no murders in October. Perhaps he had a new shawl from cousin Wolf's shop in early November... Maybe he burned it in the fire at 13 Miller's Court and quit the murder business for good.

Comment

fog

Hello Curryong. Seems that October had almost no fog at all--if I recall properly.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

None of the Above

He was nervous that two witnesses on the night of the double murder would identify him.

Comment

Working...
                            X