Why Did JTR Stop the Killings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Did JTR Stop the Killings?

Patricia Cornwell's cuckoo theories aside, just why did JTR stop the killings after Mary Kelly? Or did he........
    He had a set purpose and agenda that was fulfilled and so he stopped.
    11.43%
    He got bored with it all.
    2.86%
    He couldn't top Mary Kelly and so 'retired undefeated'.
    0.00%
    That !@#$%^&* Abberline was getting too close for comfort.
    0.00%
    He died of an illness.
    8.57%
    He was murdered himself.
    5.71%
    He was incapacitated by injury.
    0.00%
    He was killed in an accident.
    0.00%
    He was imprisoned for some other crime.
    2.86%
    He was executed for another murder.
    0.00%
    He committed suicide.
    2.86%
    His mind finally crumbled altogether.
    5.71%
    He had to leave the area for one reason or another.
    14.29%
    He was blackmailed by someone who knew his identity.
    0.00%
    He had a purpose, but the murders were ineffective in achieving it, and so he stopped.
    0.00%
    He became sick of killing.
    0.00%
    He had been insane but got better after the shock of Mary Kelly's death.
    0.00%
    The urge to kill simply disappeared.
    8.57%
    Who said he stopped? Patricia Cornwell was right!
    0.00%
    The true reason is none of the above.
    37.14%

Aha - NOW we know why

http://www.corrieweb.nl/chamber/ripper.htm

As Karen Trenouth would write, "Fresh Theory, New Suspects".

Comment

Considering the case of the BTK slimeball, maybe...just maybe...he did stop.

On the other hand, I have always "liked" the concept ( only a personal thing ) that maybe a couple of men from the neighborhood actually found the Ripper and dispensed their own brand of justice on him, unbeknownst to anyone else,obviously.

In addition...maybe immediate family members...perhaps a family with a lot to lose ($,prestige,name) took care of business and whacked him...again,without anyone knowing about what they did. Tossed his butt into the Thames or something.

Or...man am I long winded...that the Ripper himself ran into someone else who had criminal intentions a year or so later and again...it went unnoticed.
      To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

How, I wish we were allowed multiple choices here.

Comment

Robert:

Thats a good idea. Tim might want to take care of that since he put this poll together,not me.
          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

This poll has been here since August 2003, and it has only six votes. Oh, the humanity.

No can do - once a poll is in place, it cannot be edited such. Robert - do you really think that there was more than one reason why JTR quit the killings; I didn't make it a multiple choice poll since it seemed to me at the time that there could only be one reason why.

Comment

My best guess is that he was scared straight by a near capture so I'm not sure which choice to vote for.

A few others I'd have put on the list were:

Guilt ridden, he ended his compulsion by self castration.

Broke up with an accomplice in a case where the whole was equal to more than the sum of its parts.

Fell in love and channeled his desires in a more positive manor.

Underwent a religious conversion.

Went into the military and was controlled to a degree that he couldn't continue.

Stan

Comment

Easy enough then, Stan; the last choice should fill your bill.

Comment

gotcha

Comment

Maybe he became a priest or a monk and spent the rest of his life repenting for the crimes he commited unbeknownst to anyone.

Comment

Opinions have often been offered that the murderer must have either, died, been imprisoned, or been committed, shortly after the November 9th murder.

Has anyone actually researched newspaper obituaries, criminal records (Old Bailey?), or any existing Institution (Asylum) records, for males between the age of 25 - 45 years old, being listed in the subsequent weeks after Kelly's murder?

We might end up with a list of 100-200 names, or more, but, where else could he be?

Regards, Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.
                      "
                      The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                      " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                      Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Why couldn't he have moved? It's hard to envision him stopping. He could've died I suppose.

In 1892 In Colorado Springs similar murders took place. Prostitues with their throats slashed. They were not otherwise mutilated. Still it was interesting that it was not all that long (in lay terms) after the Whitechapel murders.

Comment

In 1892 In Colorado Springs similar murders took place. Prostitutes with their throats slashed. They were not otherwise mutilated. Still it was interesting that it was not all that long (in lay terms) after the Whitechapel murders.
                          Cajun May

Cajun May:

I hope this doesn't sound as if I dispute what you said....but do you have a link to the Colorado Springs murders of 1892 ?
                          The reason I ask is that I have been 'collecting' stories of this vein and if you could get a link for me, I'll be grateful.
                          Grateful But Not Dead,How
                          If you would like, look for it at your leisure...I'm looking for one now. Thanks !
                          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
                            Has anyone actually researched newspaper obituaries, criminal records (Old Bailey?), or any existing Institution (Asylum) records, for males between the age of 25 - 45 years old, being listed in the subsequent weeks after Kelly's murder?
                            Yes. Two names stand out. David Cohen and Henry DeFries.

Comment

Working...
                            X