• Howard Brown
    replied
    Phil:

I recieved it and thank you !

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    Magpie:

*Facepalm* That's right, of course it was! I seem to remember that it generated quite a lot of interest, so there's no reason why it couldn't be done a second time - perhaps, er, with a different book.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Hello How,

Have sent a pm that may be of interest to you in this area.

best wishes

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
    Hey guys,

Not sure which book could be used, but perhaps something along the lines of Robin Odell's "Ripperology" would tie in nicely with the purpose of such a plan?

I wish I could remember what book got used last time, but as I say, it was a long time ago now - perhaps it will ring a bell to another forums member who has a better memory than me!

Cheers,
    Adam.
    It was "The Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders" aka "The Mole"

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    Hey guys,

Not sure which book could be used, but perhaps something along the lines of Robin Odell's "Ripperology" would tie in nicely with the purpose of such a plan?

I wish I could remember what book got used last time, but as I say, it was a long time ago now - perhaps it will ring a bell to another forums member who has a better memory than me!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    That's a damned good idea.

Which book?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    That's another damned good idea AW !

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    Digging into the memory vaults here because this happened quite a long time ago now, but once upon a time somebody organised the idea of sending a Ripper book (don't remember what it was) from one Ripperologist to another, whoever wanted to participate - each Ripperologist in turn would put a short message in it and autograph it, and then forward it on the next Ripperologist, until it eventually made its way all over the world and back to the owner - where it was then auctioned off as some sort of fundraiser.

So it's sort of along the same lines as a couple of others have suggested here already, but certainly might be worth considering!

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• admin tim
    replied
    Here we are:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    John:

That is a good idea. Thank you for bringing it up.

Allow me to add this....

Instead of a format which found 33 or so Ripper authors and researchers presenting their candidate of choice ( in consideration of how many of us don't have a preferred suspect and don't mind if the Case will still be open-ended in terms of a solution 100 years from now ), I'd suggest that researchers ( if this idea ever materializes) who specialize in certain areas prepare something on that particular aspect or area of the Case. Mike could do something on D'Onston, Tim on the "33'' possible motives, etc, etc...

The idea of volumes written on special areas ( Alan Sharp's book on the Irish Press, Robert Mclaughlin's book on Ripper photographs,etc...) isn't new, as you've already mentioned, but its good to bring it up again from time to time. So many ideas surface, passions are stirred, and then the feeling dissipates.

John Bennett,among others I'm sure, brought up the idea of a JTR For Dummies ( the series of Dummies books covers a wide range of subjects) . That sounded like and still sounds like a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• John Malcolm
    replied
    I've always hoped someday to see another book like Camille Wolff's Who Was Jack the Ripper?, where a short and specific amount of space is given to all contributing authors to say what they have to say. Who to include (and who would be willing to do it for free!) might be a bit of a touchy issue, but something along those lines for members of JtR Forums could be potentially a great way to contribute and raise funds- of course the overhead for producing a book would mean the project would start out in the hole, but it's an idea I've been tossing around for a long time. Obviously that's not an original idea and I'm sure many others have had the same thought, but...

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    I'm happy either way. I prefer no ads, but if ads are going to help, I have no problem with them (as long as the ads themselves don't interfere with the smooth function of the site).

Possibly a third option is for the forums to create a "ripper store" on Amazon and/or Zazzle. Or perhaps a collaborative fundraising project, like putting together a ripper book or something.

Just spitballing....

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    String, with How as proprietor, I think we're looking for commode manufacturers. Also thermal underpants and zimmer frames.

Leave a comment:

• String
    replied
    I think if it works the contribution method is the preferred option but a sponsorship deal might work too. Of course JTRforums doesn't get millions of hits but the people who do visit are mostly of a certain age etc and this might fit one of those demographic things they are always banging on about. So if anyone knows a company or indeed works for a company I don't know maybe Howard and Tim might be interested. Book sellers/publishers spring to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    If the rent is $180 a year, that sounds like about £100. That sounds like the kind of figure we could easily attain, if the regular posters chipped in once a year. Newcomers wouldn't need to pay a fee to join.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X