Why Are All Ripper Films So Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are All Ripper Films So Bad?

Hollywood has had its chance since 1926 to make a decent film about Jack the Ripper, but has failed miserably at every turn, the last being the incredibly disappointing From Hell. Just why do you think that this is?
    Because the actual story itself is so unappealing except to ripperologists.
    4.55%
    Because Hollywood can't do much of [I]anything[/I] right - look at Gigli. Heaven's Gate, etc.
    27.27%
    Because Hollywood thinks that prostitutes should all look like a 25 year old Julia Roberts.
    9.09%
    Because these have all invariably been low-budget pictures.
    0.00%
    Because Hollywood just can't divorce itself from that !@#$%^& Royals Theory.
    18.18%
    Because sex and blood is more appealing to today's audiences than a good plot.
    9.09%
    Because no one knows the actual solution and accompanying details.
    18.18%
    Because of the stereotyped images (fog, top hat, black bag, cape, etc.) that the hack writers insist on employing.
    4.55%
    Because no one has written a really good novel upon which to base a screenplay.
    9.09%

Perhaps because as my brother,a script editor at FOX in Hollywood has told me a hundred times, films are usually made,regardless of historical fact( JFK by Stone...) to appeal to the LCD in Consumer-Titilate Me Now-America. The lowest common denominator......Tim, I just re-watched From Hell again after 6 months or so. It was worse than the first time. I thought A STUDY IN TERROR was terrible,but FROM HELL is atrocious. Any Ripperologist who would associate himself with this film was or would do it just for the recognition...or cash. Even THE LODGER with Laird Cregar( whom my Dad knew growing up in Chestnut Hill/Germantown ( Philly neighborhoods) stunk. I guess a film about D'onston and his occult motive would be to hard to "sell"........Quick fact= In Hollywood,the clowns and coke-heads in charge back in the 1980's decided to change the long-standing 2 hour format to the current less than 2 hour length of many films due to the limited attention span that survey takers made of the average American. British films,considered too wordy by most Americans,usually don't fare as well as they used to long ago.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I kinda liked Murder by Decree, loved Time after Time, and didn't think From Hell was too bad for what it was.

Perhaps a better question would have been "Why can't Hollywood make a Ripper movie that is both good and accurate?"
      "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

there is a big difference between 'bad' and 'inaccurate'.

Hollywood has to have a known villian, they love the good against evil scenarios. Why should facts get in the way of a good storyline.

Personally i love the From Hell film, but then i love the graphic novel where it came from. So to blame the film for inaccuracies, one must also read Alan Moore's graphic novel as in the back, it states quite clearly where he got the storyline from. Some details are official, some are assumed and some are just made up, but in all cases he is open about it.

Comment

What we need is something along the lines of the Elephant Man (David Lynch).

Robert

Comment

Okay, Howard. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to write a liberal movie script about Jack the Ripper. (Theme to 'Mission Impossible' gets inserted here.) In your script you MUST show Jack the Ripper as a poor, downtrodden, abused (sexually, mentally and physically) person who snaps one day to start killing his abusers, the London prostitutes of 1888. You MUST make the viewing audience feel sympathy and empathy with Jack the Ripper. On top of everything else, you have got to sell the script for lots and lots of money which you will give to me.

Comment

Dear Instructor:

4 years ago,when I first saw FROM HELL,I disparaged the film ( not that my opinion matters ) specifically because they made Gull the Ripper ( again ) and because of distortions in the film. Now,however,I do enjoy the film ( actually all of them) for personal reasons.

I'd like to see a film/program where they focus on a family...who are affected by the Ripper's deeds...and changes that develop because of him....

Then I'd focus on the Ripper ( the method being that the camera is his "head" and the viewer sees what he would have seen)...as he leaves his lodgings on those 4 nights and traipses throughout the neighborhood, recreating the murders and his escape(s). A faceless entity that offers no real clue as to his motives or identity...but provides the viewing audience with literally dozens of explanations and endings.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I'm impressed

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                Dear Instructor:

4 years ago,when I first saw FROM HELL,I disparaged the film ( not that my opinion matters ) specifically because they made Gull the Ripper ( again ) and because of distortions in the film. Now,however,I do enjoy the film ( actually all of them) for personal reasons.

I'd like to see a film/program where they focus on a family...who are affected by the Ripper's deeds...and changes that develop because of him....

Then I'd focus on the Ripper ( the method being that the camera is his "head" and the viewer sees what he would have seen)...as he leaves his lodgings on those 4 nights and traipses throughout the neighborhood, recreating the murders and his escape(s). A faceless entity that offers no real clue as to his motives or identity...but provides the viewing audience with literally dozens of explanations and endings.
                Actually, I loved "From Hell" the first time I saw it and bought the DVD as soon as it came out. However, it had little to do with the truth behind the crimes.
                How, I love your idea for a film with the Camera as the "perp" and how it affects the victims family. Great idea!

Mikey

Comment

Thanks Mike...

If I had to pick one actor to play a "Jewish" Ripper....I would probably select Adrian Brody ( who played in "The Pianist".

Who would you pick for a "Jewish" Ripper....or a "lunatic"...or a "doctor" ?

Everyone else please pitch in as well...thanks
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Oh my God!

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                    Thanks Mike...

If I had to pick one actor to play a "Jewish" Ripper....I would probably select Adrian Brody ( who played in "The Pianist".

Who would you pick for a "Jewish" Ripper....or a "lunatic"...or a "doctor" ?

Everyone else please pitch in as well...thanks

How,

Adrien Brody was my first thought. I find him HOT in some roles and a deep character with many layers in other roles.

Mikey

Comment

Working...
                    X