Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was The Date November 9th Chosen For A Reason ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was The Date November 9th Chosen For A Reason ?

Even if you doubt whether Mary Kelly was a Ripper victim, this poll is still relevant.

Did the fact that the Lord Mayor's Day fell on the 9th of November signify anything ?
    No
    46.67%
    Yes
    26.67%
    Undecided
    26.67%
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

My vote is undecided. It is intriguing to think that Jack chose that time perhaps with knowledge that police would be occupied, and that he did so after a hiatus of more than a month since the Double Event. Also IF Hutchinson's testimony was true and accurate it implies to me a well dressed man wanted somewhere to sleep for a few hours before going somewhere. This could explain the conversation that Hutch relates.

Personally at this time I tend to discount those ideas but I do think Lord Mayor's Day could have had influence on MJK's activities at the time. I believe it is the Boston "Herald" account that quotes a friend saying MJK planned to go attend the events of the holiday. She was very much in debt to her landlord and it appears she would not have been able to pay had she been alive when Bowyer came calling. Yet it seems to me she was not as actively soliciting as she could have done if she was very desperate to make money that particular night. Was she planning to obtain money some way while attending the festivities? Borrow from friends? Find a new fellow to live with? Solicit men attending the show? Crowds should be lucrative for a woman in her profession.

To what extent could her supposed plans the next day have had anything to do with her murder~~or not?
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Yet it seems to me she was not as actively soliciting as she could have done if she was very desperate to make money that particular night.
      -Anna Morris-

Thanks Anna....
      She had, if contemporary accounts are true, at least two client/menfolk over the house the evening of the 8th. Maybe more....
      I don't know about you....but I don't think McCarthy would have given her the boot if she couldn't come up with the cash....how would he collect his back rent if he did ? Take her to court ? That's very unlikely.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This poll is very even so far....
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
        X