Why the Fire in MJK's Room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Fire in MJK's Room?

As we all know, there had been a large fire kindled in the fireplace of Mary Kelly's hovel in Miller's Court, sometime in the wee hours of November 9, 1888. What was the purpose of this fire?.

You may make multiple selections on this poll.
    Jack kindled the fire to provide light.
    24.24%
    Jack kindled the fire to cook some of Mary's body parts.
    6.06%
    Jack kindled the fire to destroy his bloody clothing and/or other evidence.
    18.18%
    Jack kindled the fire to provide warmth in a cold room.
    9.09%
    Jack kindled the fire as a red herring for the authorities.
    0.00%
    Jack kindled the fire as part of a black magic ritual.
    6.06%
    Jack kindled the fire to dispose of his collected body parts.
    6.06%
    Jack kindled the fire to dispose of objects he found in Mary's room.
    3.03%
    Unattended, the fire simply burned fiercely, out of control.
    9.09%
    Some unnamed reason.
    9.09%
    What large fire? It's likely to be just another myth of the case.
    9.09%

More lighting?

Timmers:

One I would consider is for additional lighting. Not that I think thats a reason...but I didn't see it mentioned.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Ahem....

Howard, that is the first choice on the poll. Next time, just eat one cheesesteak, okay?

Comment

Caution: Cheesesteaks Cause Blindness

Ha ha !!

I wish i could say I was just testing to see if you were paying attention...but I really overlooked it. Thanks Tim.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The poll results to date look like the election returns in North Korea where "El Supremo" normally polls something more than 100% of eligible voters. I gather that more than one choice is allowed, but that makes something of a mockery of the results.

Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Souden
            I gather that more than one choice is allowed, but that makes something of a mockery of the results.

Don.
            Not at all.....I voted for what I felt were likely scenarios. How could you pick just one ? We'll never know for certain.

Originally posted by admin

You may make multiple selections on this poll.

Comment

There's no option for "What large fire? It's likely to be just another myth of the case."

Not that it matters, really, as the fact that people seem to think there was a large fire despite the lack of solid evidence means it won't get any votes.

Comment

When you're right,you're right...and Tim has obviously overlooked that possibility that the fire was not a large one as assumed in the poll...

Perhaps Tim can adjust this oversight.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Flame War

Wasn't the fire 'large' enough to damage the teakettle? By that occurence alone, I had thought the generally accepted concensus was that the fire was a large one, 'roaring' if you will. And it must have been robust enough to consume some articles of clothing, which otherwise might have just smouldered.

Do we now feel strongly enough otherwise to say that the fire was NOT a large one?

Comment

Maybe Dan or someone else who feels that the fire was not necessarily "roaring" would like to comment on their view...

I'd add it up there Tim just to have all options available...if you would. Thank you.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Done

And Dan is right - usually I do a better job of playing Devil's Advocate on these polls, but here I had thought the fact that there had been a large fire was beyond question. But there is really no reason to say so - what proof is there that all that was not as it has been observed to be before Jack ever came on the scene?

If you have already voted and wish to include this choice, please post here to that effect and I will cook the books appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
                        There's no option for "What large fire? It's likely to be just another myth of the case."

Not that it matters, really, as the fact that people seem to think there was a large fire despite the lack of solid evidence means it won't get any votes.
                        ...just to be contrary Dan ...

Actually, the only 'evidence' for a large fire appears to be the burnt off spout of a tin kettle - those tin kettles were pretty flimsy affairs and it doesn't take much to destroy 'em, especially if it has been in use for a while. Now if it had been a cast iron kettle .....
                        Tel
                        Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Comment

Working...
                        X