Why Are you Interested in the Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are you Interested in the Case?

So why is everyone so interested in Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders? Only 5 women were killed over a 10-week period and maybe only as many as 8 altogether were ever so victimized. The Green River Killer killed maybe 10 times as many women over a period of many years and the Kingsbury Run Murders were easily the equal of the Whitechapel Murders so far as drama and mystery are concerned, but most Ripperologists look upon these other events with complete disdain. So why are you so interested in these crimes?

You may vote more than once on this poll.
    Are you kidding? - this is the world's premier whodunit!
    10.45%
    Maybe I will be the one to finally solve the mystery!
    4.48%
    Anything Victorian is simply irresistible.
    8.96%
    Intellectuals are supposed to like this kind of thing.
    1.49%
    It's the total experience - murder, mystery, sex, gore, Royals, and lots of good chat.
    4.48%
    I'm an armchair detective and have my own ideas and theories about this.
    1.49%
    I enjoy reading others' theories, even those that are obviously crackpot.
    4.48%
    I want to see justice done for those poor women that were murdered so brutally.
    8.96%
    I'm convinced that there's more than meets the eye here and am determined to sort it all out.
    2.99%
    Fine websites such as this and casebook.org continually pique my interest.
    8.96%
    Some Ripper authors are such patent jackasses that it will be a pleasure to see them eventually proved wrong.
    4.48%
    This stuff is addictive and I simply can't quit.
    8.96%
    I have no job or life and something has to occupy my time.
    1.49%
    The various wacky theories do it for me - you couldn't make this stuff up.
    0.00%
    Because, like the mountain, they are there.
    1.49%
    I live and/or work in the same area where these murders occurred and can't help but think about them.
    1.49%
    I have grudging admiration for the man, whoever he was, that he pulled these crimes off so expertly.
    0.00%
    The Ripper is practically a British national hero. We are obligated to study him.
    2.99%
    I'm a cop or ex-cop and can't stand an unsolved crime.
    1.49%
    I'm under Patricia Cornwell's hypnotic spell.
    0.00%
    I'm a Diary Believer and am waiting patiently for it to be proven authentic and universally accepted.
    2.99%
    I love the cultural impact and mythology that has built up around the case.
    10.45%
    Hard to say, really, but they have kept me enthralled for about 30 years now.
    7.46%

Hi!

Well, for me, the reason I am so interested in the Ripper case is mostly because of all the mysteries involved with it - obviously "Whodunnit?" is the major one, but also all the other minor mysteries that are also included in the case. And I think for most people there is always a wish to learn more - for example, as far as victims go, Mary Kelly has been researched, re-researched, and re-re-researched for more than a century, yet we still know so little about her. And she's just one example of the many people involved in the Ripper case we'd love to know more about.

The second thing, for me atleast, is the life and times of people in the Victorian era. It's like a completely foreign world compared to what we know today, and so I think it's always interesting to research just how people lived back then - especially in places like the East End of London.
    All in all, it's pretty much a perfect setting in many ways for something that's going to fascinate people for generations.

There is many other things that contribute, but in my own opinion, I believe those are the most important.

Regards,
    Adam.

Comment

The 5 Ws

Who was the murderer? Who were the victims?
      Was there really a murderer? Why? That's only four so-- will we ever really know anything?

And when I get bored or frustrated there's always the charming company of my fellow lunatics .

Comment

Although it has nothing to do with my interest in the crimes, specifically, but I should mention that I also like the social aspect.

I've met some intelligent, creative, funny and just plain good folks from all over the world on this site and casebook.org. I would still be interested in the case without that, but it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.
        "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

It's a part of history and I like history. I always have liked history.

Comment

I've always had an interest in crime, and remember seeing some kind of doco on this back in the late 80s and it piqued my interest. I'm studying criminology with the hope of getting my Masters, and am complementing this currently with a short 6 month course in forensic medicine on the side. It all boils down to the nature of crime, and those cases we cannot crack, that fascinates me. This case is only one of many which hold great interest to me. It's the lack of any real idea at all.

Comment

Hmmm....

I have always been fascinated with Jack the Ripper. As I get older, I find different things interesting. It's an ongoing education for me. From my law enforcement background, I really like to dissect the information that we do have to see what I can make out of it. My expertise is victimology, so that is what I use as my starting point. I have never had a "pet" suspect. There are a few suspects that I have eliminated after studying the available information. I only wish we had real forensic evidence to work with. With the exception of Mary Kelly, we really don't even have crime scene photos and even with these, I'm not sure the crime scene wasn't compromised because it appears that the bed has been moved, possibly by the first responders or the medical people. Anyway, studying this case has been a lifetime passion and it will continue to be.

Mikey
              Last edited by Mike Raney; December 11, 2007, 04:45 AM. Reason: correct typos

Comment

Mike:

Are you like me in that you not only are fascinated ( in my case,the Case is for all practical purposes indistinguishable from "real life" and my entire "routine" revolves around Ripperology at home or even at work..) by the Case..but

...have a part of you that wishes they could get out of this 21st Century ( and the 20th wasn't that hot either in many ways ) and go back to that time...not necessarily for one reason,but for perhaps more than one?

...because you,despite knowing quite a bit about history...were stunned to discover how much the Case affected the people,press,politics,and police procedure that affects us today that you didn't realize?

In closing...what would be the one aspect that you would "miss" from this godforsaken century that you wouldn't have in the 19th Century?
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

What would I miss???

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                  Mike:

Are you like me in that you not only are fascinated ( in my case,the Case is for all practical purposes indistinguishable from "real life" and my entire "routine" revolves around Ripperology at home or even at work..) by the Case..but

...have a part of you that wishes they could get out of this 21st Century ( and the 20th wasn't that hot either in many ways ) and go back to that time...not necessarily for one reason,but for perhaps more than one?

...because you,despite knowing quite a bit about history...were stunned to discover how much the Case affected the people,press,politics,and police procedure that affects us today that you didn't realize?

In closing...what would be the one aspect that you would "miss" from this godforsaken century that you wouldn't have in the 19th Century?
                  I have always wanted to live my life in the richness of history. I really would have loved growing up in Victorian England (ok, except I'm Irish born and If I was alive in that time, I would have been, like all my family before me, Fenian). Excluding that, it was a simpler time in many ways. You had to work harder for what you had, but you valued it more as well. The youth of today act so entitled and wouldn't be able to live without a cell phone and a video game. I have never been a video game person or a talk on the phone person. I'm a reader. I read constantly which is why I was a researcher for so many years. The only thiing that I would miss would be movies. I love to watch movies and most of them are period peices. Historical fiction is my favorite genre. I could live very well without a car, without a phone and without TV. I would probably be healthier because I am a fast food junkie. I wouldn't miss it because I can cook and enjoy doing so, I'm just spoiled.

All the aspects of this case fascinate me. I learn to look at it differently every day by visiting this site and casebook. I read other people's posts or dissertations and I think "wow, I never thought about that" and I go back to square one again. I would love to have some of todays forensic tools to use on the case. I have worked for years from detailed crime scene reports, crime scene photos and medical examiners reports. We do have much better crime scene control than in the late Victorian era.

Mikey
                  Last edited by Mike Raney; December 12, 2007, 04:32 PM. Reason: correct typos

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                    Although it has nothing to do with my interest in the crimes, specifically, but I should mention that I also like the social aspect.

I've met some intelligent, creative, funny and just plain good folks from all over the world on this site and casebook.org. I would still be interested in the case without that, but it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.
                    Well said Mags.....saves me typing that myself!
                    Mind you you also get to 'meet' some certifiable basket cases too ....which I guess evens things up!!!

Suz x

Comment

Working...
                    X