How did YOU meet Jack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did YOU meet Jack?

Ripperology isn't for everyone, but it is for many of us. We all had to start somewhere, though - how did you first hear of Jack the Ripper?
    Book
    26.09%
    Magazine
    0.00%
    Television
    21.74%
    Movie
    6.52%
    Radio
    2.17%
    Word of Mouth
    8.70%
    Family Tradition
    8.70%
    School
    2.17%
    Internet
    2.17%
    British Culture
    8.70%
    Other
    13.04%

From reading about him at a very young age.

Later on,from reading Harrison's book and then the material at Casebook when it was still on "wildnet".
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I look upon "Martha Tabram Week" as the start of another Ripper season. I don't know if others feel the same way. But things seem to be picking up a bit more on the message boards of Ripper web sites these past few days. I suppose now is a good time to reflect upon where our interest in the Whitechapel mysteries originated.

My Dad used to speak of Jack the Ripper to me once in awhile when I was growing up. When he was a young teenager he used to work on a RAF base on the island of Malta during WWII. The English pilots would now and then bring up the Ripper to him. The pilots developed a good relationship with my Dad because his family members were liquor distributers. The pilots spoke in general terms about the Ripper. Dad used to pass on these stories to me when I was a kid.

But if I had to pinpoint the event that caused me to seriously look into the Whitechapel mysteries, I probably would say it was during its 100th anniversary in 1988. I recall a friend of mine speaking of the Michael Caine movie and commenting about how the Eddowes murder was portrayed in it. He said, "How in the world did they get a horse and buggy inside Mitre Square??!! Did they drop it in there by parachute??"

I remember his words sort of inspired me to start looking for the actual facts of these crimes. It's kind of hard to believe that 20 years have passed since then.

Comment

This is a difficult question.

My first thought would be book, as my father had a collection of both "True Crime" and "Unexplained Mysteries" and as a child I would sit and devour them.

I also heard about JTR from local sources, listening as people talked of an evil Dr Victor Donston from Church Street, Drypool. We all know they must have thought of Robert D'Onston Stephenson from Church Street, Sculcoates, and in hindsight, they probably got the story from one of Harris's books.

I only began watching films and documentaries after my intrest began.

Comment

My grandmother mentioned him when I was very young. Then years later Dan Farson's book was serialised in a newspaper, and I then read the book.

Comment

Radio when I was about 2 y/o

Comment

Stan:

Thats amazing that he's been a "thought" or "person' to you for 60 years. I suppose its been around 50 for me,come to think of it...75 for Tim.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

On television as a child. Which piticular movie, I can't recall.

Comment

Yes How, for good or bad.

My serious study didn't begin until Barlow and Watt on TV though around 1974 then from there to Rumbelow's book about 1976 and the rest is history.

I think the radio program might have been a broadcast of The Lodger with a little tie-in by the host but I can't say for sure. My dad gave me a little information but he didn't really know much beyond that JtR was an old unsolved multiple killer in London.

Comment

Stan:

There are some old time radio program links which have a couple of the old radio programs,but I don't remember The Lodger being mentioned.

Familiar with those links? They're in the Ripper Radio section here.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How,

Yes, I've checked out those links.

I have a version of The Lodger from Radio Spirits on CD that was broadcast on the Suspense series in 1948. There were supposedly 3 or 4 versions of The Lodger broadcast over the radio so I'm not sure if this is the one I heard way back when.

Comment

Aside from general folk knowledge, my first introduction was Tom Cullen's book. I had nightmares about poor old MJ Druitt for years.

Comment

I first read about him in book about mysteries when I was about 14. Then I was given Cornwalls book for Christmas one year. Must have been 16 I think.
                          Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

The first memory I have of seriously taking any notice of JTR was when the mortuary shots were returned to Scotland Yard for the centenary and it got in the papers. It all clicked for me when I watched the TV documentary THE BLACK MUSEUM in the summer of 1988. I knew vaguely of JTR before that as I'd been to Madame Tussauds when they had a Jack The Ripper section, which I think must have been about 1982. I seem to remember they had Burke & Hare in the 'street' as well... spot the slight anachronism and geographic ineptitude...

PHILIP
                            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd

Comment

The first time I consciously took an interest in Jack was after seeing the Mary Kelly photograph in a book I bought in 1979 (The Murderers' Who's Who by J.H.H. Gaute and Robin Odell). That sparked my interest in the Whitechapel Murders although after watching the Barlow and Watts docu-drama recently, I vaguely remember watching that when it was originally aired but I would be only 13 at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X