Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Went
    replied
    I haven't had the time to do a lot of research by which to judge it in recent times, but going on past experiences, the internet is used primarily to hunt down leads and contacts which I feel might be useful for the subject being researched, and once that is the done, the majority of the hard yards are still done by phone, postal mail or personal visits when possible.

So i'd say about 40% over the internet as a rough estimate.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Oh, when I say 100 percent online I mean in digitized primary sources, some un-indexed so involves trawling in much the same way you would do in the archives.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Grice
    replied
    At the moment i'd say its 50/50 with internet (this forum included) and books i have.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    100 percent unashamed sat on my arse online 'researcher'...I can't see what difference it makes. Its quality not quantity, giving your research context and results with relevance that count...isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    I cannot percentage it at all.

I do prefer getting in amongst the original docs however its not always easy. However I'm lucky to know people like JB, Philip, Mark R and of course Rob who all live in and around London and are always willing to share anything they feel is of interest to me, which is everything to be honest.

As I say, you can't beat getting off your arse. If we hadn't have done the the wall writing photo wouldn't have come to light for God knows how many more years.

Also, things like London Jobs are a great resource. Ther knowledge others hold. Gives you a good starting point.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• George Hutchinson
    replied
    With the work I've done, most of it is online but that must include e-mails, which forms the greatest part of the online research by a long way. I'd say I used the www for only about 25% of the research but 50% by e-mail enquiry.

PHILIP

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    Henry DeFries, b. March 1850 Whitechapel

Henry DeFries, b. 1824 Stepney Green (father)

Hannah Harris, b. 1822 Whitechapel (mother)

Leave a comment:

• Stan Reid
    replied
    I'm more of a classic-unsolved-murderologist but I said 40%. I was going to say 50% but I didn't want to look wishy-washy.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    I am always open to offers to research matters locally, and have done so for a number of Ripperologists, be it taking photo's of a location, or getting stuck into some research, as I know what it's like to be miles from a place you want to be.

A co-ordinated research effort is a good idea, and I know East Yorkshire Family History run a trip to National Archives every year, to get as much done as they can in one sitting.

I draw up a kind of wish list prior to visiting, and hit that really hard, but quickly, always planning two steps ahead, as waiting for officers to bring archival material can take a while. When I have done that, I start on related material that I might have found in the files I have just researched, that way, I can double my efforts in one visit!

I love the fact that some people in the field are willing to travel, it really encourages others, and certainly motivates me in my efforts to search new locations, and boldly go, where no ripperologist has gone before!

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Mike:

Good thread buddy.

Nina does almost all her research at the moment on line as well. Since the Ripper murders didn't occur on this side of the Pond, I would wager most Yank researchers do that as well.

Which brings up the issue of those on the other side of the Pond and how to coordinate a group-effort....,much like a Convention of sorts.....to go to the PRO or another repository and do work together.

It also is admirable that Andrew Spallek, from this side of the ocean,found the Druitt material on that side.....while Alan Sharp came here from there in 2006 and went to one of the Carolinas to investigate SRA material after the Baltimore Convention .

If people are willing to spend time and money on the worthwhile cause of attending a Convention to share their work or commiserate on the frustrations that are omnipresent in researching.....then it should be a project at some point down the road to organize a dozen or so Brits to "bum rush" the PRO or another London site and work together on one specific or even general areas....I'd do that in a second if I lived there.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    started a poll Research

Research

less than 10%
    6.25%
    10%
    0.00%
    20%
    0.00%
    30%
    18.75%
    40%
    12.50%
    50%
    12.50%
    60%
    6.25%
    70%
    6.25%
    80%
    12.50%
    90%+
    25.00%
    Off the back of a discussion I had with Jonathan Menges, I would love to know how much research ripperologists do online, versus how much research is done in libraries, archival centres etc.

So, the big question is.....

How much of your research is done online?
Working...
X