No announcement yet.

Ripperology's Significant Others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I get on Susan's nerves she turns and says..."Why don't you do some work on the book"

It's a polite way of telling me to get lost and leave her alone!

Comment

Donna supports me in my interest in Ripperology, actually she supports all of my historical pursuits, but as for having an active interest in Ripperology herself that is nil. She is "all for" the free trip to England that a UK Ripper convention entails though!

Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

C.G.

I'm gonna offer the same help I offered Jon... maybe with a little more oopmph..in order to get your significant other ( whom I hope is fully recovered ..for Mrs. G) to get in gear with the program !

Attached Files
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

My wife takes a very very dim view of my interest in the Case.

One funny story : my daughter went through a goth phase about 6 years ago, and one day she and some of her friends went into my library to look for some music, and when they saw my bookshelves one of the gothlings said "Your Dad is an industrial strength Goth!"

Respect.

Comment

I'm basically blessed with a very supportive wife who doesn't necessary have any particular interest in the case (although she does find my possible family ties to the case interesting).

If I start talking about the case, her eyes glaze over, but if we're in the bookstore and I see a Ripper book she will insist (I mean insist) that I buy it. She will also keep an eye out for articles and print or save them for me, or let me know if there's anything on TV connected to the case.

She was also very supportive while I was researching my article for Ripperologist and was bragging about to my extended family at the family BBQs that summer
            "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

My wife has a similar "Buy it if you want to" approach when where in the local bookstores. I think it's becuase she knows I will sit and read it quietly, giving her time to do whatever it is she does.

On the subject of extended family, both my mother and father are very supportive, and in the past have bought me material related to the case, offered help and advice, and listened as I discussed my findings. My mother is a computer wizz, and has helped me a great deal, not just donating software and hardware, but at one point she donated a laptop so I could type at the local libraries, instead of spending ages writing on notepads.
              My father is a bit of a local history buff, and works in a mill, doing the same thing as Robert D'Onston Stephenson's father, so he has given me useful inside knowledge on the industry.

Comment

My daughters are both pretty good illustrators...and I have been trying to urge my youngest, Valerie, to put together some Ripper related caricatures and then I could add captions to make a story outta the etchings....

On second thought,maybe someone else could do the captions...

But in any event, I am still trying to get her hiney in gear. She draws in that "anime" style as if she was a pro illustrator already.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post

One funny story : my daughter went through a goth phase about 6 years ago, and one day she and some of her friends went into my library to look for some music, and when they saw my bookshelves one of the gothlings said "Your Dad is an industrial strength Goth!"

Respect.
                  Donna was at least pleased to learn from attending her first Ripper convention (Bournemouth, 2001) that the delegates at the conference, at least were "normal" enough -- no people with two heads etc.

Chris
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

On the subject of marital bliss have a listen to this:

http://horserace.ytmnd.com/

Don't let the kids listen though.

Comment

Last night the wife and I retired to bed early, she had to be up for work at 5 this morning, so figured on an early night. As we lay in bed she rolled over and asked,

"Can you talk about something boring?"

To which I replied,

"I don't know anything boring!"

She smiled and added,

"You do, tell me about history or something"

So I began to tell about my latest research and findings, and new courses of inquiry, to which she replied,

"I asked you to talk about something boring, now I am intrested!"

I rolled over and fell asleep!

Comment

While Dennis could not possibly care less about the case, he's glad that I have a "hobby" that keeps me interested.

Comment

Mags...

If'n you need me to apply some corrrrrrrective measures to Dennis...I'm your huckleberry. I'll straighten him out.

I'm down on civilians and I shan't be happy lest they all turn into righteous Ripperologists.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post

So I began to tell about my latest research and findings, and new courses of inquiry, to which she replied,

"I asked you to talk about something boring, now I am interested!"

I rolled over and fell asleep!
                            You, Sir, are a very fortunate man.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                              On the subject of marital bliss have a listen to this:

http://horserace.ytmnd.com/

Don't let the kids listen though.
                              String, that was almost too close for comfort at one point (just glad Drinking Heavily didn't win!) but laugh out loud funny. Just emailed it to the old man, who is Snoring Heavily downstairs.

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
                              I can relate to that. And so can my husband's wife.

Actually, that's not quite fair. Hubby takes a very very very dim view of the fact that I gave up the solitary vice of knitting and staying at home to look after him and our daughter and took up talking to people on the internet that he doesn't know - a bit like he does on Facebook, which I can't be doing with.

But that's only when he's been Drinking Heavily. When he's Stone Cold Sober he's actually quite proud of me.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Well, I'm single, but I know my dog Buckwheat HATES Ripperology!
                                If I stay on the computer too long doing research, he deposits his frisbee in my lap & makes truly pathetic faces at me. If that doesn't work, he throws himself on the floor and starts moaning & groaning like he's about to die of misery. (That one usually works, because it makes me laugh & wrecks my train of thought.)

And my best friend recently told me I'm "obsessed". She thinks I'm the only one interested in this stuff.
                                - I am not obsessed! -

Gotta go; my research is calling. Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X