Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Its a standing offer,Mags....remember to call in your marker at any time.

Leave a comment:

• Mags
    replied
    Thanks for the offer, Howie, but I'm not sure I really want him to be interested in the case. It gives me one topic that he can't TALK ABOUT for hours on endless end.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    So far there's been 10 individuals mentioning that their significant others or dog are less interested in the Case than they are.

Thats over half of the siggys being in need of corrrrective instruction.

What can we do to help you folks out what don't have full support?
    Ummm...Electric Shock Collars?

Just a thought.

Archaic
    (And before anyone jumps on me for 'animal cruelty', let me hasten to say that I own the world's most spoiled dog & horses. Besides, the shock collar suggestion is only for people- I would never do that to my faithful puppy-dog!)

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    So far there's been 10 individuals mentioning that their significant others or dog are less interested in the Case than they are.

Thats over half of the siggys being in need of corrrrective instruction.

What can we do to help you folks out what don't have full support?

I am frankly stunned. I make people otherwise indifferent interested and have been doing so at work for about 6 years or so.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My fella does that too with his frisbee and lead....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Well, I'm single, but I know my dog Buckwheat HATES Ripperology!
    If I stay on the computer too long doing research, he deposits his frisbee in my lap & makes truly pathetic faces at me. If that doesn't work, he throws himself on the floor and starts moaning & groaning like he's about to die of misery. (That one usually works, because it makes me laugh & wrecks my train of thought.)

And my best friend recently told me I'm "obsessed". She thinks I'm the only one interested in this stuff.
    - I am not obsessed! -

Gotta go; my research is calling. Archaic

Leave a comment:

• Caroline Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by String View Post
    On the subject of marital bliss have a listen to this:

http://horserace.ytmnd.com/

Don't let the kids listen though.
    String, that was almost too close for comfort at one point (just glad Drinking Heavily didn't win!) but laugh out loud funny. Just emailed it to the old man, who is Snoring Heavily downstairs.

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
    My wife takes a very very dim view of my interest in the Case.
    I can relate to that. And so can my husband's wife.

Actually, that's not quite fair. Hubby takes a very very very dim view of the fact that I gave up the solitary vice of knitting and staying at home to look after him and our daughter and took up talking to people on the internet that he doesn't know - a bit like he does on Facebook, which I can't be doing with.

But that's only when he's been Drinking Heavily. When he's Stone Cold Sober he's actually quite proud of me.

Love,

Caz
    X

Leave a comment:

• SirRobertAnderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post

So I began to tell about my latest research and findings, and new courses of inquiry, to which she replied,

"I asked you to talk about something boring, now I am interested!"

I rolled over and fell asleep!
    You, Sir, are a very fortunate man.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Mags...

If'n you need me to apply some corrrrrrrective measures to Dennis...I'm your huckleberry. I'll straighten him out.

I'm down on civilians and I shan't be happy lest they all turn into righteous Ripperologists.

Leave a comment:

• Mags
    replied
    While Dennis could not possibly care less about the case, he's glad that I have a "hobby" that keeps me interested.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    Last night the wife and I retired to bed early, she had to be up for work at 5 this morning, so figured on an early night. As we lay in bed she rolled over and asked,

"Can you talk about something boring?"

To which I replied,

"I don't know anything boring!"

She smiled and added,

"You do, tell me about history or something"

So I began to tell about my latest research and findings, and new courses of inquiry, to which she replied,

"I asked you to talk about something boring, now I am intrested!"

I rolled over and fell asleep!

Leave a comment:

• String
    replied
    On the subject of marital bliss have a listen to this:

http://horserace.ytmnd.com/

Don't let the kids listen though.

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.
    replied
    Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
    My wife takes a very very dim view of my interest in the Case.

One funny story : my daughter went through a goth phase about 6 years ago, and one day she and some of her friends went into my library to look for some music, and when they saw my bookshelves one of the gothlings said "Your Dad is an industrial strength Goth!"

Respect.
    Donna was at least pleased to learn from attending her first Ripper convention (Bournemouth, 2001) that the delegates at the conference, at least were "normal" enough -- no people with two heads etc.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    My daughters are both pretty good illustrators...and I have been trying to urge my youngest, Valerie, to put together some Ripper related caricatures and then I could add captions to make a story outta the etchings....

On second thought,maybe someone else could do the captions...

But in any event, I am still trying to get her hiney in gear. She draws in that "anime" style as if she was a pro illustrator already.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied
    My wife has a similar "Buy it if you want to" approach when where in the local bookstores. I think it's becuase she knows I will sit and read it quietly, giving her time to do whatever it is she does.

On the subject of extended family, both my mother and father are very supportive, and in the past have bought me material related to the case, offered help and advice, and listened as I discussed my findings. My mother is a computer wizz, and has helped me a great deal, not just donating software and hardware, but at one point she donated a laptop so I could type at the local libraries, instead of spending ages writing on notepads.
    My father is a bit of a local history buff, and works in a mill, doing the same thing as Robert D'Onston Stephenson's father, so he has given me useful inside knowledge on the industry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X