Suspect Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect Poll

Who in your eyes is the most likely guy to be Jack the Ripper. Above are a list of possibly suspects, just select the one who you think fits the bill most. If you'd like to say why (but don't feel obliged to) post below.

Note - the suspects in the poll are not the most likely in my eyes, or a definitive list, just the first ones that came to mind!
    Walter Sickert
    0.00%
    William Gull
    0.00%
    George Chapman
    7.14%
    Tumblety
    14.29%
    MJ Druitt
    0.00%
    Joe Barnett
    7.14%
    James Maybrick
    0.00%
    Aaron Kosminski
    7.14%
    Other (Please specify)
    21.43%
    Person or persons unknown
    42.86%
    Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Thanks very much,Jon...for setting this up.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

There is already a poll of this sort here:
      http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=725

Howard - we moved all polls to the Polls Forum. If this one is to be retained, then it needs to be moved there as well.

Comment

By all means Timmers, please move it on over to that section...and thanks once more to Jon for pitching in here.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Apologies for putting this in the wrong place, gents. Forgot we even had a poll section.

I'd like to get the ball rolling on some discussion by saying my choice and why.

I chose Joseph Barnett as being my most likely suspect. Had a feeling about this ever since reading Paley's book, just seems to kinda make sense to me.

I reckon that a guy being played by the gal he loves, then rejected by her and finding out how much she'd used him, added with the destructive tendencies of a psychopath or sociopath, could have caused the destruction found in Millers Court.

I also think that under these conditions, it is entirely possible for him to have killed 4 women to keep her with him - may not make sense for you or I, but for the twisted mind of a psychopath, I'm sure it's a completely logical step.

I must however, hasten to add, that there is no evidence for it being Barnett (him being the average Joe, doesn't get him much of a mention in the records) so this is no more than a gut feeling, not something I'd be willing to bet my savings on.

Anyone else want to chip in?
          Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

Comment

Hi Jon,
            I have been a staunch supporter of Barnetts guilt from day one, long before Harrison/Paley published there beliefs.
            I have always believed that the murder of Mary Kelly was a premeditated event,and if one looks at the week leading up to her death, there are a lot of coincidences that rear their head.
            On the 30th october after a alleged row Barnett leaves [ apparently on good terms?] note the date ie one calendar month after the double event... since then on several nights she has had several sleepovers eg Maria Harvey.
            On the eve of the 8th November, Barnett calls and informs her he is sorry he has no money to give her[ talk about rubbing salt into the wounds..why call?] whilst present in the room he hears from Harvey that she would not be seeing Mary again that night, he then leaves and is believed to have played cards in his lodgings until retiring at 1230am[ what with no money?]
            Barnett appears therefore to have a cast iron alibi for the night hours ,
            But what about the hours of early daylight.?
            Mrs Maxwell states that she saw the deseased alive around 815 am, also at 845 am, Maurice Lewis also claims to have seen the dead woman after 8am.
            If this is true.. then how can Barnett be implicated?
            If he was Jtr, or even just Marys killer, he would have to give the police the opinion that the murder was commiitted during the night, in order for his alibi to hold credence.
            So speculation time.
            JB makes his way to Millers court around 830am, expecting Mary to be in bed, as was her habit, she is not in her room, he lets himself in [ door on the latch] he then makes up a fire, as it is raining, and he is aware that her clothes will be damp once she returns to her room, which will not do his alibi any good.
            Mjk arrives back to her room around 850am, she is supprised to see him there , and informs him she is feeling unwell, and he suggests she gets back into bed, the fire will soon warm the room , she then takes off her boots near the fireplace, places her clothes on the chair, and strips down to her chemise, then sits on the bed, it is then he graps her, suffocates her and the mutalation commences.
            The bed is a clue as the bedding is apparently rolled up , as if the bed had already been slept in when the murder commenced, which gives me the feeling that this was not a middle of the night murder.
            How did Barnett achieve this many will ask, how did he avoid bloodstains, how did he get away unseen.?
            All good questions, my answer is yes how 'indeed... but that riddle implies to whoever the murderer was ..does it not?
            Where theres a will...theres a way.
            I could write for the next several hours on my 'Number one suspect' but that should suffice for now.
            Best Regards,
            Richard.

Comment

I'll go with Barnett for the MJK murder, however, I don't think he was JTR, I would say Bury for the other murders if pushed.

Comment

Of the named suspects I prefer Cutbush ( not on the list).

My top choice is Unknown Local Guy #2.

Comment

Where's Bury? Anyway - Other-William Hardiman. Unknown shouldn't count as an answer in my view, it's an unsolved case so - duh!

Comment

Possibly Hutchinson, possibly Cutbush, possibly Hardiman, possibly Blotchy, possibly somebody I never heard of. I guess that makes it "person unknown."

I love polls!

Comment

Apologies for suspects not on the list, but it only lets you have 10 options, so I literally just wrote down 8 names that popped into my head first, plus options for other and unknown.

Would you guys care to tell us why you prefer Cutbrush, Bury, Hutchinson, Hardiman, etc.? Let's really get some debate and discussion going.

Richard - The bed thing is a fascinating observation.

Personally I'm not sure whether or not I believe the sightings of Kelly that morning. I like to keep open minded about it.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
                        Unknown shouldn't count as an answer in my view, it's an unsolved case so - duh!
                        Unknown in this case is if you don't think it was any suspect that has so far been named.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Nunweek View Post
                          Hi Jon,
                          I have been a staunch supporter of Barnetts guilt from day one, long before Harrison/Paley published there beliefs.
                          I have always believed that the murder of Mary Kelly was a premeditated event,and if one looks at the week leading up to her death, there are a lot of coincidences that rear their head.......

Richard.
                          Nice theory Richard I'm certainly tempted by this one.
                          I went for person unknown or unknown local man only due to the fact that there is no damming evidence against the main suspects and the odds are that it was an unknown local man.

Comment

Bigglington:

"Apologies for suspects not on the list, but it only lets you have 10 options, so I literally just wrote down 8 names that popped into my head first, plus options for other and unknown."

There's never a need to apologize for putting threads up,Jon. I'm glad you did. Tim was just pointing out that we have had one like this before...but its a necessity to resurrect threads like this over time. Thank you again,my man.

As to Stan Reid's comment about using "unknown", I think that "unknown" is a reasonable choice since its possible none of the suspects on the list may be as Jon inferred, known.

Thats also a good idea,Jon...lets hear the arguments for the suspects,if those with arguments "for" have them.

Thanks to all...
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hey Jon,

I guess I was saying that it could have been one of those guys, but that my choice was person unknown.

Sorry, didn't mean you needed to list every suspect!

Comment

Working...
                              X