Suspect you would really like to eliminate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect you would really like to eliminate

Going from the opposite direction which suspect would you really like to eliminate from the list?
    Druitt
    22.00%
    Sickert
    18.00%
    Gull
    18.00%
    Tumblety
    8.00%
    Barnett
    0.00%
    Maybrick
    12.00%
    Kosminski
    10.00%
    Chapman
    8.00%
    Other (please specify)
    4.00%

Thanks for setting up the poll,String.

Looking at the list, I would have to go with Kosminski,Druitt,and Tumbelty.

I believe Tumbelty would not have been as keen on associating with proletarians as we concieve him of having to do in order to be the Ripper...but thats not the way to eliminate him. If he could have traipsed the streets at night, he would have had to go in disguise, which is one possibility thats only been touched on lightly here on the Forums before.

Kosminski would be unlikely to me ( this isn't a scientific way of removing him, by the way) since I do not think his family would trust him not to use a knife on them after coming in from a fresh kill...but thats not any way to eliminate him either.

Its what makes the "game" stay interesting,innit String?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I really don't want to eliminate anyone but I said Gull because, to me, nothing really fits there.

Comment

Shame it wasn't multiple choice as Maybrick and Sickert were right up there on my list as well along with my chosen option Gull. Also silly choices like Lewis Carroll and other "suspects" of that ilk, should be eliminated, it takes suspect based Ripperology into the realms of fantasy.
        Last edited by Ali; March 1, 2009, 09:21 AM. Reason: Badd spelllelling

Comment

I have a few I would like to eliminate too but I was looking for the one that stands out in your opinion as a suspect who really should not be there.
          Druitt was my choice because of lack of evidence and a near alibi.

Comment

Well,I went with Tumbelty...I always have had this feeling he was too much of a dandy ( read: sissy) to get his hands all icky and messy and the like in the innards of "common" people. There are virtually no, if any at all, references to his associating himself with the Great Unwashed. Its just a hunch I have and is in no way proof,obviously.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I dont know about WANTING to eliminate Druitt,but I think he needs to be eliminated before any other suspect can be considered.I believe he is "the one most likely" based on his inclusion in the list for no obviously apparent reason.Purely a personal opinion and shared by no other, probabley ,but.....

Comment

Not sure about the concept of 'really liking' to eliminate certain suspects. If there are genuine reasons for doubting an individual was capable, or in the right place at the right time, then fair enough. That would be a decision based on proper evidence rather than emotion, or other people's dodgy theories.

Gull and Sickert are the two who, on the evidence, were almost certainly not in a position to have committed the ripper crimes. But since every other suspect in our catalogue (apart from one at the most) was equally innocent, I'm reluctant to single anyone out for this preferential treatment. If I were to allow personal feelings in, I would tend to push to the back of the line any suspect not known to have ever harmed a woman, and particularly those still at liberty and enjoying reasonable health well after the killing stopped.

Love,

Caz
                X
                I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by dougie View Post
                  Purely a personal opinion and shared by no other, probabley ,but.....
                  Just what I was looking for Dougie.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily rule out any suspect. I would however like to see a classification system. Perhaps assign each suspect a number as to their likelyhood, For example 1's would be most likely, where as 5's would be least likely...... You might end up with a few 1's, several 2's, 3's, & 4's, and a long list of 5's. Each "number" would have sub categories of requirements for suspects to be considered for placement in that category.

Comment

Debs:

Lets debate that point since you're good for beating up on...nah,you know I'm kidding. Me love you from long distance,if not for long time.

1. If we do what John Eddleston did in his Encyclopedia of JTR...and a couple of others did as well... and give the suspects this "ranking", how would we determine what criteria would be more important ?

Lets say someone felt Druitt was a better suspect than say,Kosminski. Lets say you chose Druitt over Big Jon's Kosminski...and that you don't give Kosminski a snowball's chance of being the Ripper.

Druitt cannot be placed in the general vicinity for certain,yet Aaron The K can.

Therefore,by virtue of suspect-location, which would be a or the criteria of the utmost importance...someone selecting Druitt for his or her Ripper, would automatically be selecting someone who cannot be placed in the general area over someone who can.

Capece? Fahrstayn?

Now... please counter my premise when you can.

Between me and you and your canines....I have whittled the field down in my mind to 4 people...none of them I rank very high...but by virtue of location, two have to be considered. They are Hutchinson & Fleming for the Kelly murder....and Druitt and Kosminski for the others. If Sickert and others who have been mentioned can be placed in the area...I might expand my list.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                        Debs:

Lets debate that point since you're good for beating up on...nah,you know I'm kidding. Me love you from long distance,if not for long time.

1. If we do what John Eddleston did in his Encyclopedia of JTR...and a couple of others did as well... and give the suspects this "ranking", how would we determine what criteria would be more important ?

Lets say someone felt Druitt was a better suspect than say,Kosminski. Lets say you chose Druitt over Big Jon's Kosminski...and that you don't give Kosminski a snowball's chance of being the Ripper.

Druitt cannot be placed in the general vicinity for certain,yet Aaron The K can.

Therefore,by virtue of suspect-location, which would be a or the criteria of the utmost importance...someone selecting Druitt for his or her Ripper, would automatically be selecting someone who cannot be placed in the general area over someone who can.

Capece? Fahrstayn?

Now... please counter my premise when you can.

Between me and you and your canines....I have whittled the field down in my mind to 4 people...none of them I rank very high...but by virtue of location, two have to be considered. They are Hutchinson & Fleming for the Kelly murder....and Druitt and Kosminski for the others. If Sickert and others who have been mentioned can be placed in the area...I might expand my list.
                        Surprisingly good points considering the poor state of your captions....

Ok lets change it around.... come up with a list of 100-150 questions or criteria statements and go through the list for each suspect.

For example: If the suspect can be placed in the area at the time of the murders they get one point, if they can't be placed they get no point. OR Questioned/Suspected by police 1 point, not questioned/suspected, no point. At the end tally up the points.

Actually you could have 500 or more criteria if you wanted. I think it would be an interesting experiment to say the least. These are my ramblings at 530am. Besides, we all know Baphomet was in some way involved so I would definitely include a criteria about suspects would could be connected with Baphy.

Comment

Elementary,My Dear Dobbins

Deb:

I think a list of "elements" of the attributes we ascribe to the killer, in general, may be in order,ma'am.

Then we could whittle the list down to boot them out in theory at least.

Thanks for the praise.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

To start a list here's a couple of suggestions for criteria. If people add their own we can come up with a list then someone can maybe add a weighting:

Known to the police,
                            History of mental illness,
                            Contemporary suspect,

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                              To start a list here's a couple of suggestions for criteria. If people add their own we can come up with a list then someone can maybe add a weighting:

Known to the police,
                              History of mental illness,
                              Contemporary suspect,
                              Great list String.....
                              I would ad....
                              -a history of alcohol/ drug use
                              -can be placed in Whitechapel during that time period
                              -anyone known to have specific disorders or noted physical disfigurements,OCD,lisp,constantly argumentative,etc.
                              -was incarcreated, died, left the area, sick/incapacitated or was otherwise "tied up" the time that the murders stopped.

It's past my bedtime. I'm sure I'll think of more as later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X