Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Any of the Suspects Know Each Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Any of the Suspects Know Each Other?

There were many unsavory characters in London's East End during the time of the Whitechapel Murders, and numerous others in and around London. Is it possible that some of them were acquainted with the others?
    YES - birds of a feather flock together.
    15.38%
    YES - the arsenic-addicted Maybrick knew the quack Tumblety.
    0.00%
    YES - some of them knew each other professionally, but they never socialized.
    0.00%
    YES - some of them knew each other socially but not professionally.
    38.46%
    YES - and they privately suspected each other too.
    0.00%
    NO - some had heard of others, but they had never met.
    15.38%
    NO - none of them knew any of the other suspects.
    30.77%

Yes/No

It's hard to say. I voted for "No" because I don't think they knew each other with any significance. I s'pose u could say that suspects such as Michael and James Maybrick obviously knew each other and there was that suspicion of Druitt and old JK, but I don't subscribe to the old "they lived so close together that they MUST have known each other" theory".

Dude, I've lived near some neighbours for years and don't even know their names.

Comment

Allow me to further confuse.............

Not to wax anal, but Tim, did you mean to say if the suspects knew each other in a jail or on the streets ? Maybe both ?
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Hello, Howard:

I suppose that what was meant is that did they know each other at all, in any capacity? An addict like Maybrick may well have known a quack like Tumblety, or a rogue doctor like D'Onston. So consider the possibilities of personally, professionally, or casual acquaintance.

After all, with the teeming millions there were then in London Town, they might have passed each other by on the street without ever knowing each other, or even speaking. But I personally believe the odds are decent that some of them were at least around one or more of the others at some time, such as in a pub, since they were all allegedly in the east end at one time or another during that fateful autumn of 1888.

Comment

I think they might have known each other even by name, but I highly doubt any of them were very close.

Comment

Working...
          X