No announcement yet.

Why Hasn't the Case Been Solved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of the crucial evidence was destroyed or lost. It's unlikely ever to be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      I would suggest that it is possible that the Berner Street mystery has been solved, but all the other murders {...}
      So, am I to understand that you currently consider Stride as non canonical, How? ;-)

I've voted at least 4 reasons in this poll, which amounts to:

- Due to logistical reasons and to the perp having constituted a new phenonenon of an “impersonal“ serial killer attacking unknown victims, it was very difficult for the contemporary police to investigate the case without bias and to document it accurately.

- Ripperology started too late, when most of the sources were already discarded or lost.

- If JTR was an unknown local, which is still the most plausible possibility, there might be no evidence or information ever collected on him.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Maria:

I think its possible that what Anderson claimed regarding the "case" being solved...the Polish Jew and all that.... refers to Berner Street alone...and he might have been on the money.
        Since he was of the view that the Berner Street murder was a Ripper murder, that meant any positive identification made by the witness for that crime, this meant that all the other murders could be attributed to the same person.

I'm on the fence about Berner Street ( not that it matters ) being a Ripper murder.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Maria:
          I think its possible that what Anderson claimed regarding the "case" being solved...the Polish Jew and all that.... refers to Berner Street alone...and he might have been on the money.
          Since he was of the view that the Berner Street murder was a Ripper murder, that meant any positive identification made by the witness for that crime, this meant that all the other murders could be attributed to the same person.
          So you believe that the Jewish witness who refused to make an identification was Schwartz instead of Lawende? I had no idea you are tending towards Kozminski-philitis of lately!!
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

In terms of historical methodology a contingent solution has always existed, in terms of the police identifying the fiend.

You just have to convincingly explain why the police disagreed, and why a single opinion -- say Anderson -- trumps the others in terms of reliability.

It was subsequent, colourful writers like William Le Queue and Leonard Matters who rebooted the whole case as a 'mystery', whose solution was known to these writers but unknown to anybody at the Yard.

A strong case can be made -- actually several -- that the primary sources trump the secondary sources, as some secondary sources have argued (Cullen for Macnaghten and Druitt, Evans and Gainey for Littlechild and Tumblety, Sudgen for Abberline and Chapman, and Begg for Anderson/Swanson and Aaron Kosminski -- apologies for putting it a bit crudely.)

Comment

So you believe that the Jewish witness who refused to make an identification was Schwartz instead of Lawende? I had no idea you are tending towards Kozminski-philitis of lately!! __________________

I don't maintain any concrete position, Maria, regarding the i.d.
              What I do consider possible is that Kozminski might have been identified by someone but only in regard to that particular murder.
              I'm a nosuspectphile...I don't believe the man's name who committed the Nichols,Chapman,and Eddowes murders has surfaced.
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

Comment

What I do consider possible is that Kozminski might have been identified by someone but only in regard to that particular murder.
                Wow, ALL this research about a particular suspect overwhelmingly present and documentedly messing up the investigation on Berner Street, and How Brown is not yet convinced! Wow, wasn't expecting this... :-(
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

Working...
                X