Case solvable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case solvable?

Is the Whitechapel murders case solvable?
    I myself think it is but not at this time. I think we need new evidence to break this case. What do you think?
    Yes the case is already solved to my satisfaction, I am confident I know who the murderer/s is/are.
    13.95%
    Yes the case will be solved on the current evidence.
    0.00%
    Yes the case will only be solved when new evidence is found.
    48.84%
    No the case will never be solved.
    37.21%

I think there's a very slim chance that it could be solved but likely it won't happen so, since that one isn't on the list, I ticked choice #4. It won't break my heart either away.

That said, I might have voted for #3 if it said "may only be solved should new evidence be found" instead of "will only be solved when new evidence is found".

Comment

Of course the case will never be solved.
      And that goes for any criminal case that is 100 years old.

I have no idea why people expect that any evidence ever will appear that will be so strong and conclusive that it will unite a whole community of experts. Surely no such evidence can ever exist, that will fill those criterias since we have no access to any physical evidence. No matter how interesting and promising any document might seem, it can never be strong enough evidence to close the case - history and experience during the last 20 years should have taught us that.

Comment

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=465

Comment

I have to go along with Stan on this. There's always a chance something will turn up, albeit very very very slim. So I chose 4 also.

Comment

Celesta,

What on earth would that 'something' consist of?
            A police document? A personal letter?

We've already tried that a number of times, and it hasn't really come close to work as evidence. In fact, the only result of such findings have been that they have complicated the issue even more instead of providing answers.

Comment

Story time with Uncle Joe

My little blue fish was swimming all by itself in my fish bowl yesterday. Last night, I went to the store and bought a little red fish. I plopped it into the fish bowl and went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, my little blue fish was gone, and my red fish was twice as big as it was when I bought it last night.

Oh dear oh dear, how is this case ever going to be solved?

There were no witnesses who saw what happened, no fingerprints were left behind, and nobody has confessed to doing away with my little blue fish. No hard evidence whatsoever has been uncovered.

And the experts say that this breed of red fish doesn't fit the profile of the types of fish who devour blue fish. It sure looks like nobody will ever be brought to court over this crime.

But the old man who lives next door to me isn't concerned at all about this. He says he doesn't need to see evidence nor hear a confession to reach a moral certainty about solving this case.

"Much has been said with regard to undetected murders, but without proper understanding of the law and the powers of the police. Murders have been committed in my time in which it has been morally certain who the perpetrator was, but owing to the lack of positive and direct evidence it has been impossible to bring him before a Magistrate." - Chief Inspector John Littlechild.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
                But the old man who lives next door to me isn't concerned at all about this. He says he doesn't need to see evidence nor hear a confession to reach a moral certainty about solving this case.
                A tragic story, Joe - I hope you find another blue fish soon, and that the red one doesn't get off the hook, given the scale of this crime

Comment

I think the case might one day be solved - this is the dawning of the age of aquariums.

Comment

Robert, you are my hero!

And of course, Glenn is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn L Andersson View Post
                      Celesta,

What on earth would that 'something' consist of?
                      A police document? A personal letter?

We've already tried that a number of times, and it hasn't really come close to work as evidence. In fact, the only result of such findings have been that they have complicated the issue even more instead of providing answers.
                      Glenn,

This latter half of your statement it certainly true.

I said I chose option 4. I meant option 3. Being a realist, I chose to use as key words "very very very slim". It would have to be something that would turn eyes and minds to a particular suspect and make researchers look at him in a new way. I have no idea what that could possibly be. Hopefully, it would be something which would give researchers an "Ah-ha" moment. The likelihood of it happening is slim. I know that some researchers are tenacious enough to keep at it. I admire tenacity.

You are right about the available evidence. No argument.

Comment

The personal exchanges that formerly occupied this space have been moved to http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?p=48342#post48342

Comment

What, so Joe Chetcuti pretending that the case is as easy to solve as a missing fish in a bowl after another fish ate it gets to stay, but the fact that it bears no resemblance either to the actual case or his approach to theories about the case doesn't get to stay?

You guys sure don't make it easy for anyone to read anything in context, with all the deleting and moving things around.

Comment

I wonder how many ripperologists really,truthfully want the case to be officially and without any doubt, solved!
                            Isn't half the fascination and wonder of JTR the fact that it is an unsolved case?
                            Then more than likely a lot of ripperologists would never accept a closure to the case if it didn't tie in with the same theories and the same suspect as they had in mind.
                            Maybe there will never be an closure that is accepted by all.
                            Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing!!

Mark.

Comment

Hi Mark

Ah, but on the question of the thread, is it solvable : the case could be solved and only one person might know the solution. It doesn't matter what everyone else says, because if one person solves the case, then it's solved.

In fact the case might be solvable, but with nobody being knowledgeable enough or clever enough to solve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X