No announcement yet.

Who was JtR's first murder poll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder where Tabram will be 10 or 20 years from now since her favorability has a history of going up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
      I wonder where Tabram will be 10 or 20 years from now since her favorability has a history of going up and down.
      Which, I suppose. is why she's not considered a canonical.

Comment

As near as I can figure out in doing research, the C-5 thing is from Macnaughten who said, "five and five only".

I think maybe Emma Smith & Tabram were attacked by the same person or persons and he or they were not JtR. I still think Jack's first victim was someone not known to us at this time, probably a strangulation. Perhaps his first victim didn't die. Perhaps she was badly injured or rendered unconscious, but she recovered.

If Jack was the sophisticated man of means some think he was, I would give consideration to the torsos that showed up. If he was capable of doing that sort of thing his first victim might not have been a street crime.

I personally don't think Jack was a man of means.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I voted for Polly. I'm afraid I'm a traditionalist and believe Jack only killed five, the C-5, in fact. I just can't see Martha, who seems to have been attacked by someone, maybe two people, with a penknife and a dagger or bayonet type weapon, being one of the Ripper's even if he was just starting out and learning on the job, so to speak! Martha's throat wasn't cut (or slashed) just stabbed, nor were there stomach mutilations.

Comment

Originally posted by Curryong View Post
            Martha's throat wasn't cut (or slashed) just stabbed, nor were there stomach mutilations.
            Indeed, her throat was stabbed multiple times, as was the chest. There were some stabs (but not one cut) to the abdomen - and, even then, only the upper part. The attack on Tabram focused almost exclusively on the top half of the body, with wounds overwhelmingly of the puncture variety. Very, very different from the "classic" Ripper pattern.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

The Ripper seemed to want to focus on the reproductive organs as well (when he had the time) and this was the case with Smith but not with Tabram. Actually, Tabram is more like Millwood than she is like the C5.

Comment

Originally posted by Curryong View Post
                I voted for Polly. I'm afraid I'm a traditionalist and believe Jack only killed five, the C-5, in fact. I just can't see Martha, who seems to have been attacked by someone, maybe two people, with a penknife and a dagger or bayonet type weapon, being one of the Ripper's even if he was just starting out and learning on the job, so to speak! Martha's throat wasn't cut (or slashed) just stabbed, nor were there stomach mutilations.
                Polly is rating higher here than on the same poll over on Casebook.

Comment

If you believe Tabram was a 'trial run', that would mean that the Ripper honed his method in the space of just three weeks.

Comment

I wish we knew more about the Paris murder.

Comment

I have not even found an exact date-just a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Reid View Post
                        I wish we knew more about the Paris murder.
                        Like Pinchin Street, the killer actually went to some effort to make sure the victim was found. I don't really see that in any of the other "closely connected" murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Drake View Post
                          If you believe Tabram was a 'trial run', that would mean that the Ripper honed his method in the space of just three weeks.
                          To say he "honed" his method is a bit of an understatement, Harry. "Came up with a totally different method" might be nearer the mark.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Working...
                          X