No announcement yet.

Did the Victims Know Each Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The City Missionary said he knew both Mary Kelly and Catherine Eddowes and he operated out of the Mission Hall on Thrawl Street only once a week.

I guess he could have met Catherine at her sister's house across the street but there's no reason I can see to doubt Catherine and Mary knew each other.

It could be one of the reasons Mary thought she might be next.

Comment

Originally posted by San Fran View Post
      I guess he could have met Catherine at her sister's house across the street but there's no reason I can see to doubt Catherine and Mary knew each other.
      I doubt it, personally. There was a big age-gap, Eddowes was in a steady relationship, and Kelly, who was also in a steady relationship for the most part, had only been in Spitalfields for just over a year. Under those circumstances, I see no reason why the two women should have come to know each other, except perhaps by sight.
      It could be one of the reasons Mary thought she might be next
      I daresay many women thought they might be next, sadly.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

When abductions and murders are happening in a certain area, those in the area may well think they are next. It is the unknown in the first place and if a person was in a supposed class that was targeted it would be more personal. Being female tends to be a targeted class in general.

I was at the beach where and when Ted Bundy took a couple girls. My husband and I had been out on the water. We heard about it on the radio. Nobody knew why the girls were taken and there was just a sketchy suggestion of who might have taken them. I would not use a public restroom unless my husband was in close proximity to the door and I would not get more than armś length away from him. Nobody knew anything so it was anybody´s guess what would happen to who next. (It was not known for some time that the girls had been murdered but it was a pretty good guess they had been killed before law enforcement caught up to the facts.)

I wonder how Mary Jane protected herself? Was she careful about using the outdoor toilets after dark? Was that why she had friends staying with her much of the time? Did she only invite people in who she knew or vaguely knew? In other words, were complete strangers not allowed in?

The amazing thing about JtR is that Mary kept up on the news, was concerned, had lived and done whatever in the rough dock area, and she still apparently invited Jack into her room. What do we learn from this? Did she know him from a time past? Was he a smooth talker? Was he decent looking? What tale did he tell to get invited in, or did he just agree to ´lend sixpence´?

Maybe JtR was someone the women knew at least in passing. Maybe that is why those killed on the street did not scream. Perhaps by the time his hands were near their throats they only asked, Ẅhy?¨ and by the time they would have screamed, it was too late. Maybe Annie was heard saying, ¨No¨ in the backyard; if so, the one word, apparently not yelled, would not indicate fear of imminent physical attack. Liz may have resisted the killer and cried, no, no, no but not very loud. Mary may have hollered ¨Murder!¨ but that is rather creative if you expect your throat to be cut in a second or two.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Who knows? Any one of the thousands of women living similar lifestyles in the area could have fallen to Jack’s knife - did they all know each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Who knows? Any one of the thousands of women living similar lifestyles in the area could have fallen to Jack’s knife - did they all know each other?
            There is so much I think we cannot really feel or know at this distance. I have figured out the area where the murders took place and can compare it in size with part of a small town where I lived.

What I cannot imagine is that fairly small area packed with people and doss houses where more than a hundred people might sleep. I have never lived in any place that was so crowded.

In big cities today it is common not to know the neighbors. Ditto for visiting the local bars or public places. You could be in the same place with your neighbors and never know it.

IMO it does not matter much if these women knew each other a little, a lot or not at all. I do not see anything in the sources that points to the Ripper crimes being any kind of conspiracy or of having any intentional, pre-planned pattern. I think the C-5 were random victims who got the Ripper´s attention or ticked him off at times when he wanted to relieve his frustrations or get some thrills.

Maryś friends and associates, some of which were middle aged, never made comments about knowing any of the other victims. It seems likely that people had whatever circle of friends, family or acquaintances and did not know a lot of others outside the circles.

Comment

One theory that strikes me as being utterly nonsensical is that Eddowes was killed because she used her partner's surname and the killer assumed from this that she was Mary Jane Kelly, who was the real target.

Firstly, I doubt the killer knew or cared what his victims called themselves, never mind their real names, when he set about attacking them. Secondly, why would the killer be targeting Mary Jane Kelly if he had no idea what she looked like? Thirdly, what are the chances of him bumping into Eddowes near Mitre Square, casually asking what her name was, and concluding he'd hit the jackpot [sorry!] and found the very woman he was seeking?! It's beyond bonkers.

If the killer picked on women he happened to encounter on one of the main roads, and didn't know one woman from the other, I don't quite see why his victims, chosen at random in this way, would have known one another either. The likelihood is that he didn't trawl the same main road each time, but mixed it up, so his victims would have been using different roads too.

Love,

Caz
              X
              I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Serial killers often have sight patterns like birds of prey and other predatory species. They see the pattern they seek and attack if they feel the need; hunger in the case of animals, perversion in the case of serial killers.

Whatever motivated JtR, his victims ended up in his path at the wrong time. The patterning would be on his part and I see no reason he would have had a little list or larger motive than self satisfaction.

Comment

Working...
                X