Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theater Reviews

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Theater Reviews

    Reviews of plays and other performances related to Jack The Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders.....
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

  • #2
    Life and Death of Bilston Kate

    http://www.davidjmorris.net/full-length-plays.php

    The script is based off a true story. I'm assuming they acquired their information from the Black Country Bugle Article about Conway-Quinn and Catherine Eddowes.

    I'd never heard the title "Bilston Kate" before. I have heard of "Kidney Kate" from that same Black Country Bugle article, though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
      http://www.davidjmorris.net/full-length-plays.php

      The script is based off a true story. I'm assuming they acquired their information from the Black Country Bugle Article about Conway-Quinn and Catherine Eddowes.

      I'd never heard the title "Bilston Kate" before. I have heard of "Kidney Kate" from that same Black Country Bugle article, though.
      Hi Jerry

      It might seem as you say that the Black Country Bugle article inspired the playwright. This dissertation by Jarett Kobek at Casebook may also have a bearing on the project --

      http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-kobek.html

      Best regards

      Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Chris,

        Yes, that would make sense.

        I also found this old thread, http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4921/16829.html, where Mr. Kobek posted an interesting clipping relating to Eddowes and Conway-Quinn. As he states in his post, there is no known source for the information in the Bugle article. However, if the information provided is true, it provides a glimpse into some interesting details of the life of Catherine Eddowes and Thomas Conway pre-London.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
          Life and Death of Bilston Kate

          http://www.davidjmorris.net/full-length-plays.php

          The script is based off a true story. I'm assuming they acquired their information from the Black Country Bugle Article about Conway-Quinn and Catherine Eddowes.

          I'd never heard the title "Bilston Kate" before. I have heard of "Kidney Kate" from that same Black Country Bugle article, though.
          "Bilston Kate" will be performed at Stourbridge Town Hall between 7 and 9 April.

          "Bilston Kate or to give her her full name, Kate Eddows [sic] is known for the tragic fact of her bloody death at the hands of Jack the Ripper on 30th September 1888 in Whitechapel. However, born in 1842 and growing up in the workhouse and then in Wolverhampton she became famous and, briefly, wealthy, as a composer and performer of Hanging Ballads (bloody versicles) she moved to public executions all over the country.
          The play follows the course of her abrupt fall and her descent into poverty and drunkenness, that led to her being in Whitechapel in 1888. Her life is a tale that needs to be rescued and this play attempts a celebration of her fascinating story."

          https://www.stourbridgetheatre.co.uk/what-s-on

          Comment


          • #6
            If I’m free I might consider going to see it as I don’t live too far from Stourbridge.
            Regards

            Michael🔎


            " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

            Comment


            • #7
              I wish someone would rescue Kate from the ballad myth. And, of course, she didn’t grow up in the ‘workus’. She did once get so pissed that she was banged up in Wandsworth with her babe in arms. I bet they don’t mention that.

              By the way, I neglected to include Bilston and Wolves in my list of family connections over on CB.

              Comment


              • #8
                I would hazard a guess that the idea of Kate writing the ballads herself is a post Rubenhold addition. The Bugle doesn’t claim she wrote ballads. As far as I’m aware, that idea was first suggested in a short story and then exploited by Hallie Rubenhold.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mike,

                  If you do get to see it, can you report back on the Ballad aspect?

                  Gary

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry to obsess about this, but I’d love to get my hands on a copy of the script. Or a programme. I’ve dropped the theatre a line to let them know they are pushing a false narrative of Kate’s life.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good for you, Gary!

                      I wonder how the theatre will react - if at all?

                      Love,

                      Caz
                      X

                      I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                        Mike,

                        If you do get to see it, can you report back on the Ballad aspect?

                        Gary
                        Will do Gary. I’m going to ask a friend of mine if f he fancies going. He does local theatre reviews (in a different area) so I’ll ask him for a short review for the non-Ripperologist viewpoint.
                        Regards

                        Michael🔎


                        " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post

                          Will do Gary. I’m going to ask a friend of mine if f he fancies going. He does local theatre reviews (in a different area) so I’ll ask him for a short review for the non-Ripperologist viewpoint.
                          Mike,

                          Could I be cheeky and ask you to get me a programme if you do go? I’ll pay for it of course. This ballad thing has become a bit of a project. I’m still trying to collect every existing record of Tom Conway’s various occupations. I suspect there is no contemporary evidence of him or Kate even selling ballads, let alone writing them and becoming rich and famous for doing so.

                          If it’s too much of a faff (pfaff?), don’t worry.

                          Gary

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

                            Mike,

                            Could I be cheeky and ask you to get me a programme if you do go? I’ll pay for it of course. This ballad thing has become a bit of a project. I’m still trying to collect every existing record of Tom Conway’s various occupations. I suspect there is no contemporary evidence of him or Kate even selling ballads, let alone writing them and becoming rich and famous for doing so.

                            If it’s too much of a faff (pfaff?), don’t worry.

                            Gary
                            No problem Gary. I’ve contacted my friend and am awaiting a response.
                            Regards

                            Michael🔎


                            " When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mike, did you ever get in contact with Dave Froggett to get his take on the Bugle article?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X