No announcement yet.

The Goodson Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man sent to the asylum was definitely the same Benjamin Goodson, brother of Henry 'Sugar' Goodson. I posted details from the parole licence of Annie Cohen earlier in this thread. Annie listed Goodson as her cousin and wanted to write to him but was refused permission because he was investigated by Abberline (or Thick, can't remember which) and and found to be a crook.
    It was the same Annie Cohen who Goodson was charged with maliciously wounding in 1876. He was acquitted but found insane and sent to an asylum at her Majesty's Pleasure for a while.
    In Annie Cohen's 1884 licence she is described as having what seems to be a scar running the right side of her nose, lower lip and left side of her neck. I wonder of this was the wound Goodson did?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      The victim of the 1876 attack was an Ann Cohen.
      Yes, thanks Gary. I was just typing up the story. She is the woman in the licence. There used to be a pic of her on here and the licence.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        Yes, thanks Gary. I was just typing up the story. She is the woman in the licence. There used to be a pic of her on here and the licence.
        Sorry if I jumped the gun! I think I remember the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Sorry if I jumped the gun! I think I remember the photo.
          No, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant you are right. She was a mate of our old friend Bridget Kelly.
          Another of her partners in crime lived in George Yard, Whitechapel.

Comment

Ben Goodson's unfortunate friends..

Comment

No, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant you are right. She was a mate of our old friend Bridget Kelly.
              Another of her partners in crime lived in George Yard, Whitechapel.
              Ah, those were the days...

Comment

http://henrysugargoodson.blogspot.co...1846-1915.html

Comment

Could be, but I haven't come across one yet, Rob.
                  I was thinking along the lines of a prison licence. Hopefully they will pop up online one day.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Robert. Those are the pics they copied from this thread that I cropped from the licences.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                      I was thinking along the lines of a prison licence. Hopefully they will pop up online one day.

Rob
                      The male licences have been on FMP for a while. I don't think Ben Goodson ever had a penal servitude sentence so wouldn't have been out on licence. He seems to have got imprisonment sentences all the time. I think those were served in full without remission.
                      Sometimes photographs crop up in the prison records themselves. That's where I found the photograph of William Wallace Brodie.

Comment

The male licences have been on FMP for a while. I don't think Ben Goodson ever had a penal servitude sentence so wouldn't have been out on licence. He seems to have got imprisonment sentences all the time. I think those were served in full without remission.
                        Sometimes photographs crop up in the prison records themselves. That's where I found the photograph of William Wallace Brodie.
                        Okay thanks. Whether the asylum records if survive have a photo I am not too sure.

Rob

Comment

Okay thanks. Whether the asylum records if survive have a photo I am not too sure.

Rob
                          I don't know where he was sent. I will have to try and find out.

Comment

I don't know where he was sent. I will have to try and find out.
                            If there are records somewhere I can try and have a look.

Comment

If there are records somewhere I can try and have a look.
                              I'll let you know if I can find out where he was sent in 1876. He was back out again within a few years.

Comment

Have I got this right? Cutbush was found unfit to plead (so no trial) and was sent to an asylum for the criminally insane despite not having been found guilty of a crime.

Goodson was acquitted (so a trial) and what's more he was acquitted on grounds of insanity.

Comment

Working...
                                X