X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    Have I got this right? Cutbush was found unfit to plead (so no trial) and was sent to an asylum for the criminally insane despite not having been found guilty of a crime.

Goodson was acquitted (so a trial) and what's more he was acquitted on grounds of insanity.
    That's right, Robert.
    IIRC the Criminal Lunacy Act 1884 gives three types of criminal lunatic; those found insane on arraignment (like Cutbush), those known to be insane at the time they committed the crime and those who became insane after sentencing and whilst serving a prison sentence.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Have I got this right? Cutbush was found unfit to plead (so no trial) and was sent to an asylum for the criminally insane despite not having been found guilty of a crime.

Goodson was acquitted (so a trial) and what's more he was acquitted on grounds of insanity.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
    If there are records somewhere I can try and have a look.
    I'll let you know if I can find out where he was sent in 1876. He was back out again within a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    I don't know where he was sent. I will have to try and find out.
    If there are records somewhere I can try and have a look.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Okay thanks. Whether the asylum records if survive have a photo I am not too sure.

Rob
    I don't know where he was sent. I will have to try and find out.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    The male licences have been on FMP for a while. I don't think Ben Goodson ever had a penal servitude sentence so wouldn't have been out on licence. He seems to have got imprisonment sentences all the time. I think those were served in full without remission.
    Sometimes photographs crop up in the prison records themselves. That's where I found the photograph of William Wallace Brodie.
    Okay thanks. Whether the asylum records if survive have a photo I am not too sure.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    I was thinking along the lines of a prison licence. Hopefully they will pop up online one day.

Rob
    The male licences have been on FMP for a while. I don't think Ben Goodson ever had a penal servitude sentence so wouldn't have been out on licence. He seems to have got imprisonment sentences all the time. I think those were served in full without remission.
    Sometimes photographs crop up in the prison records themselves. That's where I found the photograph of William Wallace Brodie.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Thanks Robert. Those are the pics they copied from this thread that I cropped from the licences.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Could be, but I haven't come across one yet, Rob.
    I was thinking along the lines of a prison licence. Hopefully they will pop up online one day.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    http://henrysugargoodson.blogspot.co...1846-1915.html

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    No, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant you are right. She was a mate of our old friend Bridget Kelly.
    Another of her partners in crime lived in George Yard, Whitechapel.
    Ah, those were the days...

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Ben Goodson's unfortunate friends..

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Sorry if I jumped the gun! I think I remember the photo.
    No, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant you are right. She was a mate of our old friend Bridget Kelly.
    Another of her partners in crime lived in George Yard, Whitechapel.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Yes, thanks Gary. I was just typing up the story. She is the woman in the licence. There used to be a pic of her on here and the licence.
    Sorry if I jumped the gun! I think I remember the photo.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    The victim of the 1876 attack was an Ann Cohen.
    Yes, thanks Gary. I was just typing up the story. She is the woman in the licence. There used to be a pic of her on here and the licence.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X