Did You Know ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did You Know ?

From 1902...............................

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

No, I didn't know - there's not many people know that.

Comment

Bob:

I'll be adding little tidbits from time to time on the thread ( You can too, if you aren't too busy )....
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, get your teeth into this :

DAILY INTER OCEAN JULY 20th 1892
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks buddy....I've already sunk my few remaining chiclets into it :

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ter+ocean+july
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bob:

Another example of Maybrick & the WM "linked' together :

Western Gazette
            June 13, 1913
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I'm half expecting Winslow to appear the following week with a theory about his own death.

Comment

Heh heh...good one Bob.
                The guy was, as we say, like horsepoop.... in the papers...just about everywhere.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi all,

I wrote an article on the Whitechapel Club back in 2000 or 2001 for Ripperologist. It was not accepted for publication because they already had a similar article ready to go, so to this day it hasn't been published. And I'm pretty sure it's the ONLY article ever to be submitted to Rip that they didn't publish. LOL.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom:

Do you still have that article ?
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Winslow was utilised for his expertise in lunacy and crime issues despite his obviously inane ramblings in regard to JtR and the Ripper letters he received

Swanson visited him to investigate the lodger story, 99% of which LFW retracted and stated was a press invention. In later years he repeated the lodger story and added to the tale

It is this aspect, in the main, that leads me to believe that Winslow explained to the police (Swanson?) that he was placing certain articles and claims in the press to encourage the real JtR to communicate with him

Comment

Nemo:

Come to think of it, you ought to consider writing an article about Winslow. You know quite a bit about the man.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

To tell the truth Howard, he's probably the person I would enjoy writing about the most and I have considered it recently

Trouble is, it would fill a book rather than an article I think

That's just on the Ripper aspect, not including his early history and subjects such as his involvement in the Maybrick case

He's definitely one person I would have liked to have met and chatted to about the Ripper

Comment

Trouble is, it would fill a book rather than an article I think.
                            Hmmm. A book like "Doctor Forbes Winslow, Defender of the Insane" by Molly Whittington-Egan? (Cappella Archive, 2000) An excellent book.

Wolf.

Comment

Thanks Wolf - I don't have a copy but would like to read it so I'll order one

What was the name of the fictional account in which LFW was the Ripper?

On CB in the suspect guide it says LFW was briefly suspected of the murders and his movements checked - I'm not sure where that came from

Here's an interesting find - a copy of a newspaper from 1895 which reproduces in full the October 1888/1889 letter

The first picture is of too bad a quality, but in the second, if you zoom in on the date, it appears to read '89 without alteration

http://www.uscomics.net/index.php?op...sale&Itemid=85

Comment

Working...
                              X