• Show
Clear All

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Correctamundo, Phil !

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    But he only meant it if he was allowed to commit the murders in the basket of a balloon.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    What policeman is quoted as having said he could 'commit forty murders like the Ripper's without being apprehended..' ????
    Inspector Reid.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    May 25, 2018

What policeman is quoted as having said he could 'commit forty murders like the Ripper's without being apprehended..' ????

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Ludwig was one....

So was this guy...although not a Ripper suspect....

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....121#post341121

Leave a comment:

• Anna Morris
    replied
    Two? Klosowski/Chapman had his own shop and Kosminski was a trained hair dresser but had not attempted work for some time.

Leave a comment:

• Cris Malone
    replied
    Don't know how many, but Mary was always my favorite. A nipple pincher I believe and ahead of his/her time on the transgender front.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    February 27, 2018

How many hairdressers can you name who were considered suspects in the murders ?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Good man, Bob. Correct.

lucky no-good sumbit.....

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Zero.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    New one......

How many times does Jack The Ripper, Leather Apron or the title, Whitechapel Murderer, get mentioned in Jack London's 1902 work, People Of The Abyss ?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Mike:

If you're up to speed on the Tumblety saga, that's the Governor of Kentucky, Luke Blackburn :

Although too old to serve in the military, Blackburn supported the Confederate cause during the Civil War. In the early days of the war, he acted as a civilian agent for the governments of Kentucky and Mississippi. By 1863, he was aiding Confederate blockade runners in Canada. In 1864, he traveled to Bermuda to help combat a yellow fever outbreak that threatened Confederate blockade running operations there. Shortly after the war's end, a Confederate double agent accused him of having carried out a plot to start a yellow fever epidemic in the Northern United States that would have hampered the Union war effort. Blackburn was accused of collecting linens and garments used by yellow fever patients and smuggling them into the Northern states to be sold. The evidence against Blackburn was considerable, although much of it was either circumstantial or provided by witnesses of questionable reputation. Although he was acquitted by a Toronto court, public sentiment was decidedly against him throughout much of the United States. Today, historians still disagree as to the strength of the evidence supporting Blackburn's role in the alleged plot. Any plot of this nature was destined to fail, however; in 1900, Walter Reed discovered that yellow fever is spread by mosquitoes, not by contact.

However, Tumblety got himself in the midst of the alleged Confederate plot :

New York Tribune
    May 12, 1865

As Tim Riordan points out in his 'Prince Of Quacks', there had been 50 outbreaks of Yellow Fever in East Coast cities before the Civil War.....which might explain the vitriol in the Tribune article.
    I am not exaggerating when I say that I think Tumblety was lucky he wasn't killed in the years just after the War...being tainted by the insinuation of being Blackburn and having anything to do with attempting to start an epidemic which, at the time, was devastating. I see a lot of articles in the 19th century US press discussing outbreaks of Yellow Fever...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Banks
    replied
    Hi Howard,

Who is it?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    October 5, 2017

The answer was Inspector Marshall.

Here's a new one

Who dis ?

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    September 14, 2017

No peeking....who was the Coroner presiding over the Inquest into the Whitehall Mystery ?

Which police Inspector was in charge of the Whitehall Mystery ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X