Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1921 census

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1921 census

    The 1921 census is due to be released on 6 January 2022 by Findmypast. There is a page of information here:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

    Unfortunately it is going to cost "£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image". To cover their costs, apparently. Does that imply they aren't going to make any profit from it, I wonder.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    The 1921 census is due to be released on 6 January 2022 by Findmypast. There is a page of information here:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

    Unfortunately it is going to cost "£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image". To cover their costs, apparently. Does that imply they aren't going to make any profit from it, I wonder.
    That’s very annoying. I think they started off the same way with the 1939 register. It’s free now.



    Comment


    • #3
      I’ll probably limit my purchases to a few family records and one or two others. I’m hoping you’ll be able to search by employer. I had a Harrison, Barber exercise in mind which might still work depending on how the search results are presented.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        I’ll probably limit my purchases to a few family records and one or two others. I’m hoping you’ll be able to search by employer. I had a Harrison, Barber exercise in mind which might still work depending on how the search results are presented.
        I think generally on FMP you can't even search by birthplace as a specified option, but only under "Optional keywords". And then it isn't displayed in the list of results.

        I don't know how the National Archives chooses its "partners" for such projects, or to what extent they are guaranteed monopolies.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

          I think generally on FMP you can't even search by birthplace as a specified option, but only under "Optional keywords". And then it isn't displayed in the list of results.

          I don't know how the National Archives chooses its "partners" for such projects, or to what extent they are guaranteed monopolies.
          Yes, that’s right chris, but it sort of works if you can access the results and weed out the false ones. Searching by keywords “Harrison Barber” and selecting appropriate locations might be a good starting point.

          At one time they had a very useful address search which disappeared for a time and then resurfaced in a slightly less satisfactory format.

          Comment

          Working...
          X