1921 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1921 census

The 1921 census is due to be released on 6 January 2022 by Findmypast. There is a page of information here:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

Unfortunately it is going to cost "£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image". To cover their costs, apparently. Does that imply they aren't going to make any profit from it, I wonder.

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    The 1921 census is due to be released on 6 January 2022 by Findmypast. There is a page of information here:
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

Unfortunately it is going to cost "£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image". To cover their costs, apparently. Does that imply they aren't going to make any profit from it, I wonder.
    That’s very annoying. I think they started off the same way with the 1939 register. It’s free now.

Comment

I’ll probably limit my purchases to a few family records and one or two others. I’m hoping you’ll be able to search by employer. I had a Harrison, Barber exercise in mind which might still work depending on how the search results are presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        I’ll probably limit my purchases to a few family records and one or two others. I’m hoping you’ll be able to search by employer. I had a Harrison, Barber exercise in mind which might still work depending on how the search results are presented.
        I think generally on FMP you can't even search by birthplace as a specified option, but only under "Optional keywords". And then it isn't displayed in the list of results.

I don't know how the National Archives chooses its "partners" for such projects, or to what extent they are guaranteed monopolies.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I think generally on FMP you can't even search by birthplace as a specified option, but only under "Optional keywords". And then it isn't displayed in the list of results.

I don't know how the National Archives chooses its "partners" for such projects, or to what extent they are guaranteed monopolies.
          Yes, that’s right chris, but it sort of works if you can access the results and weed out the false ones. Searching by keywords “Harrison Barber” and selecting appropriate locations might be a good starting point.

At one time they had a very useful address search which disappeared for a time and then resurfaced in a slightly less satisfactory format.

Comment

Available from midnight tonight.

I’ll look up my grandparents first, then Biddy the Chiver and Billy Maher.

Comment

Available from midnight tonight.

I’ll look up my grandparents first, then Biddy the Chiver and Billy Maher.

I grabbed those four records, as intended, but they seem to be missing one important piece of info: the address.

Both my grandfathers were unemployed at the time the census was taken.

My maternal grandfather gave his occupation as a carman, and his last employer as W. Hollis [carman & contractor] 27, Queen Street, Hanbury Street E.

My paternal grandfather’s occupation was a horse slaughterer (no surprise there) and his last employer was a Mr Ling or Sing, Horse Slaughterer, Millwall Docks. I was expecting it to have been Harrison, Barber, but a Fred Ling was one of HB’s managers, so perhaps he was my grandad’s boss at the time.

Biddy the Chiver was living with her husband, Thomas O’Rourke, somewhere in Shoreditch, and Billy Maher was living at the same address as, and working for, Ann McCarthy - presumably her doss house in Thrawl Street.

The absence of the addresses is very disappointing, to say the least. I’ll have to follow it up tomorrow. Hollis and Ling/Sing will also need investigation.

Comment

A tip for anyone accessing these records-I found it easier to download the record I wanted to look at than viewing it onscreen, it was much quicker to load and clear up that way.
                Gary- the address is given over the page! It took me ages to figure that out!

I looked at my grandmother, her mother died in 1918 shortly after her birth and her father left her with her maternal grandmother. Strangely, my grandmother was said to have both parents 'still alive' -and the form was apparently filled in by my great grandfather, who knew that one of her parents was dead because it was his daughter.

I checked Joseph Barnett (dock labourer) and Louise, still at 106 Red Lion St as they were in electoral registers.

Comment

I had to purchase the transcription to get the address. Billy Maher was apparently at 2430 Throwl Street. Biddy was at 51, Cropley Street, Hoxton.

My maternal grandparents and their two eldest sons were living in 1 room at 25, Mayfields Buildings (Shovel Alley). Whoever filled out the form (my nan I would guess) spelt the surname 3 different ways. Interestingly, their oldest child - uncle Charlie - was said to have been born in Shadwell, when in fact he was born in Cornwall Street SGE. Almost in Shadwell, but not quite.

You can search by occupation. There were apparently 38 horse slaughterers in London (and 1 knacker). None who lived in Whitechapel though and only 1 in Bethnal Green. Their addresses were mostly in Islington, West Ham and south of the river (Wandsworth, Greenwich etc). My grandad was living with his in-laws at 5, Crew Street, Millwall.

Comment

I
                    Originally posted by Gary Barnett
                    had to purchase the transcription to get the address. Billy Maher was apparently at 2430 Throwl Street. Biddy was at 51, Cropley Street, Hoxton.
                    The address is over the page. Just click the right arrow on the image!

Comment

I’m not sure how reliable the occupation search is. When I searched for ‘horse slaughterer’ Fred Ling didn’t appear. But searching for him by name I found him, a horse slaughterer, living in Bethnal Green and an employee of Harrison, Barber of Winthrop Street, Whitechapel.

His youngest daughter, May aged 16, was a cap machinist working for Schneider and sons in Durward Street (formerly Bucks Row).

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        IThe address is over the page. Just click the right arrow on the image!
                        Just tried that for Billy M and because it was a lodging house I was given another page of names and asked for payment.

Comment

Just tried that for Billy M and because it was a lodging house I was given another page of names and asked for payment.
                          But it does work for single households. Obviously they can't jump to the address when there are several pages. It might be a glitch ironed out later.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

But it does work for single households. Obviously they can't jump to the address when there are several pages. It might be a glitch ironed out later.
                            For households that occupy less than a page, yes.

I believe we found quite a few anomalies when the 1939 register was first released.

I’m frustrated by the ‘Millwall Dks’ note given as my paternal grandad’s place of work. His in-laws were dockers, but as far as I know he never was. Could it be that HB had knackers at the docks to deal with any animals that needed to be euthanised? By 1926 he was in Huntingdonshire working at a small yard HB had there and then he went to Dublin/Kildare to work for a knacker named Stone.

Comment

Incidentally, when Fred Ling married in 1888, he was a slaughterman and he lived in Coventry Street, so he was Henry Tomkins’s neighbour and colleague.

Comment

Working...
                              X