The A To Z 2010 : Discussion Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, such scrutiny.

Is this par the course for all books now?

If so I think Ill put mine on ice.

Monty

Comment

Dear SPE:

Thanks for that. Thats one off the list. My mistake.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Monty:

My scrutinizin' days are over after my mistake regarding Alan's book.

I noticed several entries at a glance last night ( I did the old "Read to me Howie" routine with Nina...she loves the book too ), valuable data of which I had no idea had occurred. Things materialize in the field that apparently tell me I've been napping.

Off the top of my head, the entry on Ms. Cornwell's "Clippings Book". More on that later.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

That "clippings book" sounds very interesting

There is a reference to Grant which may be either a remarkable early reference to Grant Grainger or the annotations were made at a much later date than indicated

The person writing does seem to be on an active investigation to find a suspect

Could be a number of people but Bachert and Winslow spring to mind among others

Where did the A-Z get that info and have the annotations been published in full with reference to the press articles?

Comment

hi all,

Just to confirm, Neal Shelden, is indeed his legal name (unless hes not telling me something)

Jenni (Shelden)
            "be just and fear not"

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Shelden View Post
              hi all,

Just to confirm, Neal Shelden, is indeed his legal name (unless hes not telling me something)

Jenni (Shelden)
              We know. We've always known. We have no idea how that word got there.

Comment

Morgan Davies

I can add a bit of clarification to the Morgan Davies entry, particularly surrounding his early years.

He was born in Whitechapel on 17th September 1853 (not 1854). His father John had moved to London from Wales to set up a dairy ('cow-keeping') business in Old Montague Street / Black Lion Yard.

Morgan's mother Mary died sometime in the early 1860s, and Morgan was sent to live with his paternal grandparents on their farm in Llangwyryfon. He was educated there, returning to live with his father in Whitechapel after leaving school.

It is not entirely accurate to say he retired to Wales. When he had his second stroke in 1920, his address was still 10 Goring Street, where he had set up his medical practice for the London Welsh community in the mid 1880s.

He was initially looked after by his step-daughter Jano in Golders Green (with her husband, the future Liberal leader Clement Davies), and then by his son-in-law John Evans, who had taken over the running of the dairy business in Whitechapel before retiring to Aberystwyth. Shortly after this Morgan died, and was buried in Llangwyryfon.

Comment

Dear Mr. B:

I thought about that entry mentioning Neal today...and then remembered that he used to go by the name of Stubbings. Maybe thats how the word pseudonym got inserted there.

Dear Dave:

Thanks a lot for those additions to the Davies entry. I know Mike will appreciate them too.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi All,

Just a quick word to say that the book is now available in bookshops.
                    I bought a copy in my local W H Smith on Monday, all I need now is time to rerad it.

Rgds
                    John

Comment

Accuracy

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Wow, such scrutiny.
                      Is this par the course for all books now?
                      If so I think Ill put mine on ice.
                      Monty
                      These are rather more than minor points and need to be addressed for the sake of accuracy, or do you feel they shouldn't be mentioned?

There are several more errors but I have decided not to post them as it seems that it is unpopular to do so. I did agree to check the manuscript before publication but, apparently, at least one of the authors didn't want me seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Knott View Post
                        I can add a bit of clarification to the Morgan Davies entry, particularly surrounding his early years.

He was born in Whitechapel on 17th September 1853 (not 1854). His father John had moved to London from Wales to set up a dairy ('cow-keeping') business in Old Montague Street / Black Lion Yard.

Morgan's mother Mary died sometime in the early 1860s, and Morgan was sent to live with his paternal grandparents on their farm in Llangwyryfon. He was educated there, returning to live with his father in Whitechapel after leaving school.

It is not entirely accurate to say he retired to Wales. When he had his second stroke in 1920, his address was still 10 Goring Street, where he had set up his medical practice for the London Welsh community in the mid 1880s.

He was initially looked after by his step-daughter Jano in Golders Green (with her husband, the future Liberal leader Clement Davies), and then by his son-in-law John Evans, who had taken over the running of the dairy business in Whitechapel before retiring to Aberystwyth. Shortly after this Morgan died, and was buried in Llangwyryfon.
                        Many thanks, Dave. That offers a lot of clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
                          These are rather more than minor points and need to be addressed for the sake of accuracy, or do you feel they shouldn't be mentioned?

There are several more errors but I have decided not to post them as it seems that it is unpopular to do so. I did agree to check the manuscript before publication but, apparently, at least one of the authors didn't want me seeing it.
                          Hi Stewart,

Did I say they were nothing more than minor points? Did I state they shouldn’t be mentioned?

It was you who informed me that its nigh on impossible to produce a book on the subject that holds no errors whatsoever. Of course, a book with this magnitude should be reviewed for issues, after all, it will be one of the mainstays for any future research. Im in complete agreement with your opinion that errors should be address for the sake of accuracy, wholeheartedly in fact. I myself have pointed one out to the authors about a confusion (an understandable one at that) regarding Holt, so I am not immune.

My post was in jest, nothing more. I apologise if you felt it was made against you however if it was (and it wasn’t), rest assured, your name would be at the top of it and I would be addressing you directly.

As we are judging on what it seems, it seems anything I post draws a negative response from you. All my posts seem to be construed as an attack on you or your opinions. Im sorry if you interpret it that way but I can state hand on heart this is not the case. You are, and always will be, one of the finest ever researchers in the field in my opinion, and one I try to emulate (albeit failingly). However my recent exchanges with you has been a tad unsavoury and believe me, as those around me would testify, Ive found this slightly distressing.

If I annoy you that much Stewart then just say so, Id rather let things be than keep provoking you.

Regards
                          Monty

Comment

Nature and Tone

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Hi Stewart,
                            Did I say they were nothing more than minor points? Did I state they shouldn’t be mentioned?
                            It was you who informed me that its nigh on impossible to produce a book on the subject that holds no errors whatsoever. Of course, a book with this magnitude should be reviewed for issues, after all, it will be one of the mainstays for any future research. Im in complete agreement with your opinion that errors should be address for the sake of accuracy, wholeheartedly in fact. I myself have pointed one out to the authors about a confusion (an understandable one at that) regarding Holt, so I am not immune.
                            My post was in jest, nothing more. I apologise if you felt it was made against you however if it was (and it wasn’t), rest assured, your name would be at the top of it and I would be addressing you directly.
                            As we are judging on what it seems, it seems anything I post draws a negative response from you. All my posts seem to be construed as an attack on you or your opinions. Im sorry if you interpret it that way but I can state hand on heart this is not the case. You are, and always will be, one of the finest ever researchers in the field in my opinion, and one I try to emulate (albeit failingly). However my recent exchanges with you has been a tad unsavoury and believe me, as those around me would testify, Ive found this slightly distressing.
                            If I annoy you that much Stewart then just say so, Id rather let things be than keep provoking you.
                            Regards
                            Monty
                            What you indicated was that the book had been subjected to exceptional 'scrutiny', and you queried whether this was to be expected in the case of future books. If so you intended to put your own 'on ice'.

The nature and tone of the post, with all due respect, is ambiguous. There was nothing to indicate that it was said in jest. The points I made were picked up on the briefest scanning of the book and is nothing more or less than I would do with any new book that was sent to me. Added to that the authors had invited corrections.

Indeed errors are inevitable, in any book, and I have already said so here. I have also stated that I believe this to be a 'must have' book for anyone interested in the subject.

I merely respond to posts on how I see them, and I am far from infallible. I thank you for the kind (if undeserved) words and apologise if you find yourself distressed.

Comment

That clippings book isn't by Abberline is it?

Comment

Not sure Nemo.

I've noticed the entry on Harriett Buswell ( 1843-1872) listed on page 79 as a suggested suspect. Buswell was the victim in the Great Coram Street murder of 1872.
                                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                                X