The A To Z 2010 : Discussion Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Stewart:

Please continue to provide entries which you find worthy of scrutinization. Mr. Begg/the authors did say to point out items which merit a second look and its only for the best should the three gents put out a future edition.

That applies to anyone else who might find that an entry has been updated ( a perfect example is the reference to Anne Stephenson in the D'Onston section...which David Knott put the finishing touch on last year or was it earlier this year in 2010 ?) with concrete data found after the three authors took the manuscript to the publisher.

Its a no-lose situation. If the A to Z had been compiled by one of my ex-wives, such civil repartee would be impossible. However, since thats fortunately not the case, and since everyone who has contributed to the thread so far has expressed their sincere and positive sentiments towards this monumental effort...the A to Z...it would be in the best interest of the Forums and the field that we continue to bring up points worth scrutinizing.

Thanks.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by SPE View Post
      What you indicated was that the book had been subjected to exceptional 'scrutiny', and you queried whether this was to be expected in the case of future books. If so you intended to put your own 'on ice'.

The nature and tone of the post, with all due respect, is ambiguous. There was nothing to indicate that it was said in jest. The points I made were picked up on the briefest scanning of the book and is nothing more or less than I would do with any new book that was sent to me. Added to that the authors had invited corrections.

Indeed errors are inevitable, in any book, and I have already said so here. I have also stated that I believe this to be a 'must have' book for anyone interested in the subject.

I merely respond to posts on how I see them, and I am far from infallible. I thank you for the kind (if undeserved) words and apologise if you find yourself distressed.
      Stewart,

I appreciate your post above, thank you.

And I agree my post was ambiguous, for that I apologise. I would also like to echo Hows request that you continue.

And the words are fully meant and fully deserving....and I am being serious.

Regards
      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
        Hi All,

Just a quick word to say that the book is now available in bookshops.
        I bought a copy in my local W H Smith on Monday, all I need now is time to rerad it.

Rgds
        John
        I called WH Smiths Hull in Prospect Centre and the women was rude and abrupt, she didn't even check stock, she just snapped "We don't have that book!"

I called Waterstones Hull who forgot to order it, they claim it will be here next week!

Will there be copies available at the Conference? If not, I will order mine from Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
          Not sure Nemo.

I've noticed the entry on Harriett Buswell ( 1843-1872) listed on page 79 as a suggested suspect. Buswell was the victim in the Great Coram Street murder of 1872.

Yes, that should read "suspected victim" I think

That's amusing about the chaplain

It says witnesses were taken to a ship to identify a possible suspect

The ship's chaplain insisted on being in the line-up as he believed in the suspect's innocence and mistrusted British police methods

5 out of 7 witnesses picked out the chaplain who was charged with the murder (subsequently exonerated)

The entry also refers to the "Great Coram Street murders" in the plural...

Comment

I called WH Smiths Hull in Prospect Centre and the woman was rude and abrupt, she didn't even check stock, she just snapped "We don't have that book!"

Mike, I neglected to tell you that my ex wife is handling the phone duties at Smiths in Hull. Sorry babe.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Timothy Donovan

I was pleased to see my recent identification of Timothy Donovan included in the new edition. I hadn't expected it would be as it was quite a recent find.
              I've noticed an error in the details given for Ellizabeth Jackson. Her parents were in fact John and Catherine Jackson, both born in Ireland. John was a stonemason. Also, the man Elizabeth lived with was John Faircloth, aka Smith Faircloth. Not nitpicking, it's just that this is a subject I've been researching for years and have an enormous interest in, so was bound to notice.

Definitely a 'must have' as has already been said.

Comment

Hi Mike,

W H Smith in the Prospect Centre had one copy on the shelf on Monday, which I bought, but I would presume that they order more than one copy at a time. Perhaps you and I are not the only ripperologists in Hull?

If I see any more copies on the shelf I will PM you.

Rgds
                John

Comment

Thanks John, Hopefully some will be on sale at the conference. If not Waterstones will have some by 2012. The Olympic torn carrier can drop them off on the way by.

Comment

Begg, Fido and Skinner should really have published this in instalments, starting with 'A'. By the time they got to 'Y' everyone would be on the edge of their seats to see what would be in 'Z'.

Meanwhile WH Smith could have started to sell the instalments in their W stores, working backwards to H.

Comment

Then Hull would get everything last.

Comment

Mike, you can move up a few notches if you call yourself Kingston Upon Hull.

Comment

Thanks for that Debra. Good eye on your part.
                          Took the A to Z to work again in its special little bag..like a little pal. Will probably have to purchase another copy in November. I was murder on the last edition of the A to Z and the Ultimate and The Facts.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                            Thanks for that Debra. Good eye on your part.
                            Took the A to Z to work again in its special little bag..like a little pal. Will probably have to purchase another copy in November. I was murder on the last edition of the A to Z and the Ultimate and The Facts.
                            Heres a tip How,

If one can afford to, buy two copies. That way you can have a 'working' copy and a 'prestine' copy.

Monty

Comment

I hear that Neil. I had to do that as well with the Ultimate ( The first one is in at least 30 pieces, the A to Z in as many or more...and I'm on my third copy of Mr. Harris's True Face). Nina accidentally threw the cover of Scotland Yard Investigates out last year. Her bruises have just recently healed.

My good book collection,ahem,like the Pam Ball psychic Ripper book is almost pristine though. Go figger.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I recently got Don to sign my copy of SYI. Stewart also kindly signed it.

Suffice to say that it is now situated in the deepest vaults in the bank of England and my son has strict instructions not to open it until his 90th birthday.

Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X