Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Complete A-Z (2010): Praise thread

Hi all

There have been several threads devoted to the new A-Z and I'm sure you have all noticed how they have generally focused on inaccuracies etc.

Whilst I'm sure the authors are only too happy to have such things pointed out to them (so they may be corrected in future editions), I can't help noticing that there is little comment on what has been improved upon.

So everybody - this thread is here for those who wish to point out any welcome inclusions/surprises in the new edition.

I really like the way the photos are worked in with the text. Full and half-page glossy photos are nice, but the way they did it here allows for the inclusion of so many more.

Comment

The publication is obviously the result a most herculean effort, on the parts of the three authors: Messrs. Begg, Fido, and Skinner. That effort is praiseworthy, indeed.

But, I believe that the whole concept of a published encyclopedia, of the mystery of 'Jack the Ripper', is a bit of a 'Dinosaur', so to speak.

The multitude of mistakes that have been identified, thus far, is clearly indicative of the necessity, of calling upon the 'collective wisdom' of an entire 'community', for just such an effort.

And, because our knowledge and understanding, of the circumstances surrounding this mystery, is increasing at a rate that is greater than many of us realize; the electronic 'Wiki' concept would seem to be much more practical; and, in my opinion, much more meaningful.

Comment

The wiki idea is great but there has been problems in the past with people submitting opinionated submissions with others countering with their opinions leading to rows. Maybe this format is better suited to forums such as this.
        A better solution perhaps is just a straight web site edited by one person/group, articles could be submitted for approval. Not very democratic but in ripper circles it's perhaps needed. For it to work the editor/s would have to have a completely unbiased view.

Comment

They say a picture paints a thousand words and the images in the A-Z are welcome and easy on the eye.

The JTR Literature is great, I found some books, especially e-books that I was unaware of, and have since found and read.

The easy to use table of people who claim to have witnessed Jack, and their descriptions on him.

Comment

I was pleased to see Mary Ann Austin added to the A-Z being a subject close to me.

Rob

Comment

JB:

Thanks for doing what should have been done at the same time inaccuracies were being mentioned.

Positives ? 437 new entries for one thing.
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                There have been several threads devoted to the new A-Z and I'm sure you have all noticed how they have generally focused on inaccuracies etc.

Whilst I'm sure the authors are only too happy to have such things pointed out to them (so they may be corrected in future editions), I can't help noticing that there is little comment on what has been improved upon.
                The best ever JTR book just got even better.

Buy the hardback version while it's available, folks.
                Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Other updated and interesting areas of the A to Z worth mentioning for those who are about to purchase it ( I'm assuming there aren't any slackers on The Forums and everyone will get their hands on this work) :

***The entry for Albert Bachert
                  ***The entry for Timothy Donovan features Donald Rumbelow's position on Donovan as a suspect in the murders
                  ***Nice section on Tumblety
                  ***Data on the (at least) six vigilance committees in the East End
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I had my hands on a copy on Thursday.... But didn't actually buy it.

Does this mean I'm going to Ripperologist hell?
                    Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

No,but you're in the front seat of the bus heading that way,buddyboy.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I liked the section on the diary, very clear and to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                          I liked the section on the diary, very clear and to the point.
                          I haven't gotten the book yet. What point of view does it take on the Diary ? Agnostic, I hope.....

Comment

The A - Z has finally arrived. It made decent time for coming by boat, train, dog sled, and Pony Express!

Wow. Lots of new entries. I also like the way the photos have been incorporated into the text. to Messrs. Begg, Fido, and Skinner for the difficult but worthwhile job.

I will make the appropriate corrections to the Gumprecht, and Joseph Martin entries tomorrow. C'mon, you knew I was going to. I have to go to the dentist first. the new A - Z will take some of the pain away I'm sure.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              The best ever JTR book just got even better.

Buy the hardback version while it's available, folks.
                              Good to see the praise in this thread.

The Barnes and Noble website says "This item will be available on Nov 15, 2010."

What's the situation? Is the book out only in the United Kingdom so far, and due for release in the United States in November?

Confused in Baltimore

Chris
                              Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Working...
                              X