**Little Patch From Hell On Dorset Street**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Little Patch From Hell On Dorset Street**

Wondering what the odds are that a court would host not just one, but two savage murders...within a decade...and Kitty makes three...
    ..lest we forget the Kitty Ronan murder 11 years later... again in the same court.

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday, November 27, 1898

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

How often did and do sororicides occur ?
    Then factor in the location.
    Hmmmm.........................

Daily News (London, England), Monday, November 28, 1898

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks for posting those Howard

I was looking for that Kate Marshall pic a couple of days ago

Even within these stories it states in one article that the murder was done in the first floor front, and then in the other article it was in the first floor back room

Comment

Nemo:

I will give you another photo of Kate Marshall in about 5 minutes.
          I have had one hell of a time today just staying on the boards without my posts being zapped.
          Just think about what a loss that would mean if it were my captions
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

For Nemo

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday, December 4, 1898

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

!!!

That's not her is it?

Looks a bit familiar - like Bob Hope or Harold Wilson

Thanks anyway Howard

Check your email and you'll see why I was asking for the pic

Regards

Nemo

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                I was looking for that Kate Marshall pic a couple of days ago

Even within these stories it states in one article that the murder was done in the first floor front, and then in the other article it was in the first floor back room
                Hi Nemo

Yes, this shows how unreliable some newspaper reports can be because as we know Room 19 was above the Kelly room at the back.

Here's a high quality version of the pic kindly supplied by Rob Clack

Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

1888 assault

Here's a little more on Kate Marshall. Actually this account is in the year of the Ripper, 1888. Ten years later at age 44 or 45 she murdered her own sister, Elizabeth Roberts, as shown from the earlier posts in this thread. Looks like she had been hanging around Dorset Street for years. Nasty woman it appears.

Also of note is PC 190H, whom she accosted, is Willie Bettles, the constable that watched the building for PC Alfred Long when the apron was found after the Eddowes murder.

This also might confirm that Bettles was on the beat that covered Miller's Court. It was said that PC Long grabbed an officer from an adjoining beat. Also, during the McKenzie murder, Sgt. Badham went to Bell Lane to visit an officer from an adjoining beat. Wouldn't that be the same beat as the one Bettles was on?

Lloyds Weekly Newspaper April 22, 1888

Comment

Here's another assault on the same guy, Christopher Hayes, in 1895. Again by the hand of Kate Marshall.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...hall#highlight

Here's the January, 1899 trial for the murder of her sister. Verdict: Death

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...hall#highlight

If anyone is a candidate for Jill the Ripper, Kate Marshall is. Look at this self admitted rap sheet.

(MR. AVORY proposed to ques-tion the witness as to her past life in the matter of stabbing other persons, and also. to former convictions. MR. COUNSELL objected on the ground that he was not entitled to do so under the Criminal Evidence Act of 1898, as it was a question directed to the character of the witness the accused in the case. MR. JUSTICE DARLING, however, considered the evidence admissible.)

I have been convicted two or three times for wounding people—in 1879 I was convicted at the Middlesex Sessions for wounding, and sentenced to eight months' hard labour—that was with a broken plate—in 1883 I was convicted at the same place of an assault, on Roberts's sister, and sentenced to two months' hard labour—on November 13th, in the same year, I was convicted at the Thames Police-court of an assault on a police-man, and sentenced to two months' hard labour—I was struggling, with the man I lived, with for twenty-four-years, and the policeman came up—in October, 1884, at the Middlesex Sessions, I was sentenced to ten months' hard labour for wounding Roberts's brother with a working knife—I did not then say that it was Roberts, the witness, who had done it—I pleaded guilty to that and every conviction against me—in April, 1889, I was sentenced to eighteen months for Wounding a woman with a knife—in August, 1894, I was again sentenced to three months' hard labour for an assault, and in May, 1895, I was sent to five years' penal servitude for wounding the mail, I lived with—I have been convicted about twenty times for being drunk and disorderly—all the assaults were done in self-defence—I have had twenty-seven stabs on my body—I did not know that the coroner's-inquest was going on in this case—I was in bed at the hospital and I heard a voice say there Was an inquest; but I did not understand it—no policeman ever spoke to me about it—I do not know if I said that I did not intend to give evidence there—I did not go, I knew nothing about it.

Comment

"in April, 1889, I was sentenced to eighteen months for Wounding a woman with a knife". -Kate Marshall

London Evening News April 11, 1889

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Hi Nemo

Yes, this shows how unreliable some newspaper reports can be because as we know Room 19 was above the Kelly room at the back.
                        Here is Kate Marshall's sworn testimony in the Old Bailey.

KATE MARSHALL (The prisoner: sworn). On November 26th I was living at 26, Dorset Street, with the deceased woman, Mr. Roberts, and one child, on the first floor back-room

I guess they changed it by 1898? I forgot this trial was 10 years after the murder of Mary Kelly.
                        Last edited by Jerry Dunlop; October 18, 2015, 02:54 AM. Reason: added last line

Comment

Could it be Kate the Ripper?

Rap Sheet

1879-(age 26)- Convicted in Middlesex Sessions for wounding. (8 months hard labour)

1883-(age 30)- Convicted same place for assault. (2 months hard labour)

Nov. 1883-(age 30)- Convicted at Thames Police-court Assault on police officer.(2 months hard labour)

Oct 1884-(age 31)- Convicted in Middlesex Sessions for wounding with a working knife.

April 1888-(age 35)- Wounding Christopher Hayes with a plate. (Looking for record of conviction) Living at 3, Dorset Street

April 1889-(age 36)- Wounding a woman [Charlotte Cocklin] with a knife. (18 months)

August 1894-(age 41)- Assault. (3 months hard labour)

May 1895- (age 42)- Wounding her male live in. (5 years penal servitude)

1898-(age 45)- Murder of her sister by stabbing her. (sentenced to death) Living at 26, Dorset Street

There is a good chance she may have known at least 4 of the victims while they lived in Dorset Street. She was living in Dorset Street in 1888 and later [1898] at 26, Dorset Street. She was extremely violent, and had many assaults with a knife. Some with a plate over the head. She murdered her sister. She was in the right area at the right time. Her rap sheet shows she was possibly available to commit all the murders in 1888 if she was out from her April conviction by August 31st.

Her male live in for 24 years was Christopher Hayes. Here is what she had to say about him during sentencing after assaulting him with a plate. "She added she had lived with the prosecutor, but he did not give her enough to keep her from starving—that he was always drinking; and abused her in very bad language for not prostituting for him, and knocked her about."

"I have been convicted about twenty times for being drunk and disorderly—all the assaults were done in self-defence—I have had twenty-seven stabs on my body". - Kate Marshall

Comment

good

Hello Jerry. Good work

All food for thought.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hi Jerry,

It seems she died in prison in 1918.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1