No announcement yet.

**Little Patch From Hell On Dorset Street**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a new one to add to the rap sheet.

London Magnet June 7, 1886

Comment

FYI, I repaired the second post in the thread...
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
        "I have been convicted about twenty times for being drunk and disorderly—all the assaults were done in self-defence—I have had twenty-seven stabs on my body". - Kate Marshall
        Kate Marshall certainly seems to have sustained some injuries over the years. I came across Kate, described as a whip maker, a couple of times in Infirmary records, one in 1888. Kate was admitted for cut lips and stayed two weeks in the infirmary and also on one occasions she was admitted with a swollen face.

Comment

Thanks Debs,

She was a trouble maker, for sure. A mean, mean woman.

Does it show her living on Dorset Street in the 1888 infirmary record?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
            Thanks Debs,

She was a trouble maker, for sure. A mean, mean woman.

Does it show her living on Dorset Street in the 1888 infirmary record?
            Hi Jerry,
            In her Sept to Oct 88 stay she was at 33 George Yard. Earlier she was at Old Montague St.

Comment

I must add that I haven't checked the entries against Marshall's bio in any detail to check it is the same woman. I was going on the age, location and occupation of whip making in the records. The Kate Marshall in the records says she is the widow of 'James' and also had at least two children, one of whom was admitted to the infirmary suffering with marasmus. This Kate Marshall was RC.

Comment

I just took a closer look and I don't think it is the correct Kate Marshall in the infirmary as there is a James and Kate Marshall living in London City in 1891. James is a whip maker and the couple have 3 boys.

Comment

I couldn't find the family in 1881, but in 1901 there was a James Marshall of approx. the right age to be their son living in George Court, Spitalfields. The son in 1891 had been a port errand boy, the man in 1901 was a waterside labourer who had been born in Bishopsgate.

In addition there was a marriage between a James Marshall and a Catherine McCarthy in the City in 1875.

James Snr had been born in Dublin, so we are looking at an Irish couple and the RC status of the woman in the infirmary would make sense.

What is a bit odd, though, are the Whitechapel addresses given by Kate on admission to the infirmary. In 1891, the family were living in Catherine Wheel Alley, off Bishopsgate, which is technically in the City. The marriage (if it was them) was in the City in 1875 and their son James was born in Bishopsgate ca 1876.

It's possible they moved away from Bishopsgate and then returned. But given Kate's injuries it's just as likely she occasionally left her abusive husband, finding short term refuges in Whitechapel or giving false addresses (and claiming to be a widow) to gain admission to the infirmary.

Comment

I believe this is the street where David Roberts and his wife Eliza Roberts nee Marshall were living in 1888, the year of their marriage - Myring('s) Place :

http://www.sarahwise.co.uk/blackest.html

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                      I just took a closer look and I don't think it is the correct Kate Marshall in the infirmary as there is a James and Kate Marshall living in London City in 1891. James is a whip maker and the couple have 3 boys.
                      Hi Debs,

In April of 1888 she was living at #3 Dorset Street and calling Christopher Hayes her husband. That may have been a common law type relationship with Hayes, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        I've been taking a look at "Kate Marshall" in my spare time, not realizing she's already been raked over, and I think this probably is the same Kate Marshall as the whip maker living in London City in 1891 with husband James, but it gets complicated and convoluted and more work is needed.

In 1883, Kate Marshall, under the name "Mary Boyd" stabbed her long-time combatant and sometimes pimp/common law husband, Christopher Hayes. See news report below.

At the time of the 1881 UK Census, the guy I think was probably Christopher Hayes was in Clerkenwell prison, described as a fruit stall attendant or fruit grocer.

Meanwhile in 1881, there is a "Mary Boyd," occupation whip maker, generally the right age, living in Wandsworth. Her husband is named James, and he is also a whip maker.

So I am thinking that James Boyd and James Marshall, whip maker, are one and the same.

The ages are off between 1881 and 1891, but the coincidence seems a little too much for me. How many Mary Boyd whip makers could there be, who also appear to align with Kate Marshall, whip maker? Thus, I speculate that Mary Boyd/Kate Marshall, whip maker, was bouncing between two "husbands", James and Christopher...when not behind bars.

This would give 'Kate Marshall' an alibi for the Stride/Eddowes murders, as she was in the workhouse infirmary at the time, with a serious injury to her lip, and the description of the infamous 'Kate Marshll' posted by Gary, lists one of her scars is to the lip.

So Kate is not Jill the Ripper, or at least, not the Jill the Ripper that killed Stride and Eddowes.

On the other hand, she may have been living at No. 33 George Yard at the time of Martha's murder if anyone wants to go down that path.

Cheer, RP

Click image for larger version  Name:	1881 Mary Boyd.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	576083

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mary Boyd.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	576084

Comment

What is probably also relevant is there are some whip makers named Marshall living at No. 6 George Street, Spitalfields in 1881. William is born Ireland, and Elizabeth is born Spring Gardens, which I assume means the street in Central London. I think they might be living in Shoreditch in 1871, but this is far from proven.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Rajah....
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact [email protected]

Comment

Thanks RJ.

Here is Kate again, accused of abandoning a child in a dust bin in 1884. She was found not guilty.

London Magnet
                              February 4, 1884

Here is the Old Bailey trial.

Browse - Central Criminal Court (oldbaileyonline.org)

Interesting to say, her husband was a soldier, when thinking of the Tabram murder. Her brother in law was Thomas Marshall (#4, Haydon Square) according to the Old Bailey case,

Comment

Thanks, Jerry.

The East End seems like a very small world at times.

I think this is also likely to be Kate, mentioned in the ELO in 1885, in a case involving the robbery of a sailor in Victoria Court, Shadwell by her companion (?) Margaret Donovan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ELO July 1885.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	576118

Donovan seemingly appears in the Whitechapel Union infirmary records several times, often suffering from some horrible sexual disease. Here she is, I think, in December 1888, being treated for syphilis, and recorded next to a familiar name: Annie Farmer, suffering from a 'wound of neck.'

Click image for larger version  Name:	Margaret Donovan.JPG Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	576119

I imagine any number of these poor women suffered from undiagnosed mental illnesses, such as bi-polar disease, chronic depression, even schizophrenia. Kate is arrested for assault on numerous occasions, but if she can be believed, she has been similar assaulted many times, with some 27 injuries to prove it.

Comment

Working...
                                X