Mitre Square redevelopment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square redevelopment

Take a look at this fancy presentation to see what Mitre Square will look like once the long-promised redevelopments take place...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mit...:7,s:179,i:309

My God it's awful.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
      Take a look at this fancy presentation to see what Mitre Square will look like once the long-promised redevelopments take place...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mit...:7,s:179,i:309
      The Manhattanization of Mitre Square. Both startling and unnerving. Sad to see!
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Sad indeed, although the present modern building is nothing to cry over.

From the pictures it looks like the spot were Catgerine Eddowes died may remain more or less intact.

Could we impress upon the developers the historical importance of the site of proor Catherine's death and try to get them to ensure that it is marked in some way?

Rgds
        John

Comment

They'll probably put up "Catherine Eddowes Tower."

Comment

I actually worked in Mitre Square in 1966/67. I may be wrong but the granite sett road surface is the only JTR murder site that is still as it was in 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Walton View Post
              I actually worked in Mitre Square in 1966/67. I may be wrong but the granite sett road surface is the only JTR murder site that is still as it was in 1888.
              Hi Phillip,

Im afraid you may be wrong, to a point.

First picture is Mitre Square taken by William Stewart, second as it is pretty much today (I think this is one of Robs photos)

Note how the setts run different and how they are of differing sizes.

However, the third photo shows what I believe are the original setts.

Monty
              Attached Files

Comment

Yick...

That's very sad to see. Once again not content with building a huge skyscaper, they feel the need to mess about with the square in order to stamp some kind of new "identity" on the place.

I notice the CGI image doesn't show the entrance into the school playground, (the railings curving round are continuous in this view). Are they planning on moving access to the school into Mitre Street?

All the best
                Andrew

Comment

Thanks for that Monty. The photo of the square as it was in 1888 is as I remember it in 1966 except that the buildings in the right background had been replaced by an empty plot surrounded by a brick wall. It appears that the pavement edge has been moved back to increase the road area of the square in that corner. This probably explains why in the first photograph (and official reports) the body was on the pavement but the actual site is now on the 'setts'.

Comment

John:

Thank you for posting the link...and sorry to see this development plan.
                    Will this redevelopment affect your Ripper tour and the tours of others ?
                    Thank you.
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Oh man
                      "be just and fear not"

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                        John:

Thank you for posting the link...and sorry to see this development plan.
                        Will this redevelopment affect your Ripper tour and the tours of others ?
                        Thank you.
                        Hi How

Can't say. Certainly during demolition and rebuilding it will. Once it's all up and running, I don't know. Still looks pretty public, but whether that will change during the day is another thing. Some of these corporate gaffs have security guards and the like who may turf tours away during business hours. But that's a worse-case scenario, IMHO.

JB

Comment

John;

Hopefully, the disruption will be as brief as possible for your tour and those others conduct.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                            John;

Hopefully, the disruption will be as brief as possible for your tour and those others conduct.
                            Well, that would be an ideal scenario. But no tour goes to every site, and sometimes you can't go exactly where you want anyhow because of any combination of parked cars/other tours/hoodies/piles of rubbish. It's just a case of adapting to the environment on the day.

In the end, the story well-told can often cover for the lack of on-the-spot exactness.

JB

Comment

" sometimes you can't go exactly where you want anyhow because of any combination of parked cars/other tours/hoodies/piles of rubbish. It's just a case of adapting to the environment on the day."--John

Thanks for that J.G...I didn't think of that condition.
                              I didn't factor in the situations where spontaneity would be necessary...
                              Well..I sure hope this newest problem doesn't cramp your style.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X