11 Millers Court
    Married
    Porter
    Cause: Debility
    Discharged: 18 Feb 1889

The full recovered thread is at
    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=64
    Hi Chris,
    Didn't this one turn out to be Henry Hanslope-a criminal once found impersonating a detective among other things and also charged with an indecent assault in 1885. I later updated the recovered thread as I found the charge (which was dropped due to legal issues) was for an indecent assault on his own 13 year old daughter.

Comment

Just for interest here is the sale notice for Millers Court - can't remember the date
      Attached Files

Comment

The above sale notice is from The Times, 20 August 1881

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Debs...thanks for the names of those two people. Could the Keyler's have moved in after MacAllen ?
          XXX
          Yes, that could be right, How.

Comment

Thanks Chris, and I have to say that advert is a fabulous find.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
              Hi Chris,
              Didn't this one turn out to be Henry Hanslope-a criminal once found impersonating a detective among other things and also charged with an indecent assault in 1885. I later updated the recovered thread as I found the charge (which was dropped due to legal issues) was for an indecent assault on his own 13 year old daughter.
              Indeed that was the case:-
              Thanks Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                The above sale notice is from The Times, 20 August 1881
                In 1889 #26, 27 and the houses in Miller's Place (sic) were listed as belonging to M Barnett and occupied by tenants.
                I posted this before somewhere but no idea where that was!

How, I wonder if MacAllen was subletting?

Comment

He may have been, Debs....I don't know.
                  Nice find,Chris...
                  To Join JTR Forums :
                  Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I put this together when I was working on my book... Not sure if it is 100% accurate. Just thought I'd throw this in there.

Rob H

Just a note: it seems that the even numbered apartments are upstairs. Hence (getting back to the Prater debate) it would seem to follow that upstairs (directly above) Mary Kelly's room should be number 14, not number 20.

????

RH
                    Attached Files

Comment

That's fantastic, Rob.

Comment

Yes indeed....thanks Rob.
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Debs provided a link to some London Hospital records (Ancestry.com), maybe Casual Ward for 1888?
                          Among them I found two patients who gave their address as Millers Court.
                          Regards, Jon S.
                          "
                          The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                          " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                          Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Thanks for that Rob. One point is that I seem to get the impression that the privies were opposite Kellys room. In some illustrations there is a standpipe between the two.

Comment

Just to come back to this, to summarise where we seem to be - no one has been able to come up with any source giving us identities for the people in rooms 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11 (apart from the detail of 3 being a male market porter, of course), is that right? Or indeed for 15-19, which were where - inside number 26 Dorset St?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the identitites of 'Lottie' or 'Mary Jane's Pal'? Of course there is the chance that both were giving a false impression of their familiarity with MJK and the scene, but Lottie was at least there pretty soon after the murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Bond View Post
                                Just to come back to this, to summarise where we seem to be - no one has been able to come up with any source giving us identities for the people in rooms 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11 (apart from the detail of 3 being a male market porter, of course), is that right? Or indeed for 15-19, which were where - inside number 26 Dorset St?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the identitites of 'Lottie' or 'Mary Jane's Pal'? Of course there is the chance that both were giving a false impression of their familiarity with MJK and the scene, but Lottie was at least there pretty soon after the murder.
                                Hi Trevor
                                There was some speculation about the identity of Lottie
                                In the 1891 census there are only two residents listed for 26 Dorset Street.
                                These are Henry Owen, a 49 year old dock labourer and his 43 year old wife
                                This gave rise some time back to various speculations:-
                                It was suggested that the henry Owen might be the same man as the Harry Owen that Venturney claimed she was living with
                                Also the wife's name in 1891 is hard to read - it looks like LOTHER or LOTHEA but some speculated that it night be LOTTIE
                                The extract is below for you to see
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X