**The Murder In Carton's Court**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **The Murder In Carton's Court**

The Tribune's account of Mary Kelly's murder....interesting in several ways...and in particular, the account of the vicious wounds.

Chicago Tribune
    November 10, 1888

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Great article. In this long version there are two points I found in a single paragraph somewhere else I cannot find at the present time. One point is that MJK had recently been in service, just prior to being in the East End. I thought a lot about this when EWD entered the story. The other point is that her husband had abandoned her. In the version I can't find the sentence was something like, her husband had abandoned her because of her dissolute ways. Again I thought of EWD.

Who was "the man" who identified her? This article makes it plain it wasn't Barnett. Think it was Lynn who recently posted that Sir. Robert Anderson knew her and was there

This article says a young man, a neighbor had knocked at her door about 10:00 in the morning. Other accounts interview Mary's neighbor woman who has the same last name as the woman who had wanted Mary to stop singing the night before. This woman said she knocked on the door at 7:00 am, to borrow Mary's red cross over, but that no one answered the door so she went away.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

This article also said she had a "dark complexion". Add that to what Mrs. Felix said, sounds like Mary must have had an olive complexion. Blue eyes? Some said. Hair must not have been black or someone would have said so I think. Must have been brown or chestnut or similar?

Comment

Anna,

The article contains quite a few obvious errors, so I would be wary of accepting any of its uncorroborated statements.

Gary.

Comment

Lots of those articles contain multiple errors, such as the little boy who was out begging... (Real early, before the inquest, Barnett was quoted as saying Mary didn't have any children. I know this was different at another point in time but his first reported statement was emphatic.) I don't know to what extent we can sift out little facts. Then these things get repackaged and reprinted in slightly different versions.

So when a report says she had recently been in service and her husband had recently abandoned her...does that lend credence to the story of EWD? Maybe not. Maybe so.

Comment

Working...
          X