No announcement yet.

29 Hanbury Street In 1966 ( Rob Clack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Hanbury Street In 1966 ( Rob Clack)

Many thanks to Rob for sharing this excellent find from 49 years ago...

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

29 Hanbury Street in 1966.

Hi Rob,

Interesting find!

Thanks for posting.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Great find, Rob!

Comment

Rob: Fantastic article! Wonder if the fence is in the same place it was in 1888? It always looked like there was more room between the door and fence in 1888. If it was always that way it makes a lot of sense that someone looking into the backyard or sitting on the top step, would not necessarily have seen the body, and that goes to time of death.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Hi Anna,

I would think the fence was in the same position in 1966 as it was in 1888. The gap between the steps and the fence would be about three feet. It looks narrower in some photos because of the camera angles.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Rob: Thanks. Even so, Annie's body plus clothes, etc. would have fairly well fit that space. In the dark I don't think it would have been that noticeable.

Comment

Hi Anna,

It would be getting light and John Richardson said he could see all over the place about 4:45 if memory serves, so if she was there he would have seen her.

Rob

Comment

Anna:
                Not to be too indelicate, but if Richardson was there at the same time Chapman's corpse was, he would probably have been able to smell the odor emanating from her eviscerated torso.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Rob

That pic must have been taken almost simultaneously with the pic in Farson's book - if you look at the distribution of the rubbish (cardboard, wood or whatever it is) it's almost identical.

Comment

How: I have thought of just what you write, but I don't think we have any idea what the smells might have been at that time and place. Privy in the back yard. Did people always stand in line for that privy should a line form? Cat's meat shop in the house. No refrigeration, certainly. Privies in most of the back yards. Slaughter houses in the general area. Etc. How attentive were people of that time to smells that we would find unpleasant? Or to smells at all?

I have thought of the smell of fresh blood perhaps, but would that have been so noticeable? Perhaps not.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Rob!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                        Anna:
                        Not to be too indelicate, but if Richardson was there at the same time Chapman's corpse was, he would probably have been able to smell the odor emanating from her eviscerated torso.
                        Not if Richardson was suffering from a heavy cold at that time, How.
                        Which was the case at his inquest appearance a few days later

Comment

Good point, Jon....I didn't think of that.
                          Thanks for mentioning that.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                            Good point, Jon....I didn't think of that.
                            Thanks for mentioning that.
                            To be accurate, How, the journalist at the inquest only noted that Richardson spoke as if he had a heavy cold.

Comment

Working...
                            X