Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Hanbury Street.

Hi,

I know a gentleman who owns the original door knocker, once belonging to 29 Hanbury Street. I've viewed and handled this knocker, Georgian in style, which was once owned by the East End historian, Fishman.

This gentleman also owns photographs depicting the demolition of no 29.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Very nice.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
      Hi,

I know a gentleman who owns the original door knocker, once belonging to 29 Hanbury Street. I've viewed and handled this knocker, Georgian in style, which was once owned by the East End historian, Lawrence Fishman.

This gentleman also owns photographs depicting the demolition of no 29.

Best wishes,

Sean.
      Sean,

Did you dust it for prints?

Gary

Comment

Hi Rob,

I haven't spoken with this gentleman in at least four years, although I still have an e-mail address for him. He's a professional historian and a curator of a London museum.

I always badgered him over the Hanbury Street photos, which he always promised to "dig out"!

He told me a story about "swapping" Ripper-related items with William Fishman, although I can't recall the precise conversation.

If interested, send me a private message and I'll forward on his details. You can chase him up!

His grandfather also lived in Hanbury Street in 1888, and was questioned by the police, hence his interest in the case.

As always,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Sean,

Did you dust it for prints?

Gary
          Hi Gary,

Perhaps I should have, Lol!

This gentleman is one of many I've come into contact with over the years, each with a story to tell. Such stories are always worth following up, even if they lead to nothing more than a pint or two in someone's local. Always interesting!

My best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Sean, does that mean the same knocker was used from 1888 until demolition?

Comment

Hi Robert,

I fully understand the scepticism regarding such a claim. I'm as sceptical as the next man, but my instincts tell me this is bona fide. This gentleman knew Fishman, an acknowledged expert on East End history, a man who took many photos of the East End over a considerable period of time.

The gentleman in question told me that, when no 29 was in the process of being demolished, the door had been removed and laid on its side against the property. Fishman then removed the knocker.

This gentleman, who I met twice, also brought along a noose (on loan to a museum), which had been used to execute a Nazi at Nuremburg. I ended up with this same noose around my own neck!

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                Sean, does that mean the same knocker was used from 1888 until demolition?
                Hi Robert,

It means, in all likelihood, that the knocker is Georgian (1714-1830), which would certainly tie in with the Huguenot period of Spitalfields. In 1888 many of these Georgian buildings were still standing, replete with their original features - doors, letter boxes, knockers and shutters. Indeed, until the 1960s/1970s, many Georgian buildings still remained in Spitalfields.

Regards,

Sean.

Comment

This has been claimed to be the rear of 29 during demolition. Unfortunately it isn't, it's a bit further down, Barbers Yard

Click image for larger version

Name:	11096668_10153948026494012_8630585430635553360_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	557177

Rob

Comment

Cheers Rob,

He told me that Fishman took the photos, c.1970s, and that he even asked one of the demolition crew if he could buy the knocker and was told he could take it for free!

I'll contact the chap again and try to get better clarification.

my regards,

Sean.

Comment

Hi Sean,

That portion of Hanbury Street was demolished early March 1970 if I remember correctly.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob.

I will chase this chap up and attempt to clarify.

When researching it's surprising the interesting tit bits of information one comes across. A couple of years ago while digging into the life of Sir Charles Warren I ended up in contact with a descendant of Frances Coles!

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

That's interesting Sean, I take it there were no family photos otherwise we would have known by now.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,

Not necessarily.

The person in question was based in Weston Super Mare, Warren's final place of residence until his death. We enjoyed a lively correspondence, that is, until I asked for family information on Coles, and whether the family had a photograph of her. All communication instantly ceased!

Although the forums are a great way of exchanging information I can't help but feel that we are retarding future research, as many people some of who are undoubtedly sitting on information, photos etc., are afraid of sharing this information. In some cases they simply don't want their forebears to be labelled "Jack the Ripper" or wish for their family's name to be trounced on forums or in the press.

Best wishes,

Sean.

I've also found it to be true, more often than not, that many illustrious families connected to the case are simply not interested in discussing their family's involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                              Hi Rob,

Not necessarily.

The person in question was based in Weston Super Mare, Warren's final place of residence until his death. We enjoyed a lively correspondence, that is, until I asked for family information on Coles, and whether the family had a photograph of her. All communication instantly ceased!

Although the forums are a great way of exchanging information I can't help but feel that we are retarding future research, as many people some of who are undoubtedly sitting on information, photos etc., are afraid of sharing this information. In some cases they simply don't want their forebears to be labelled "Jack the Ripper" or wish for their family's name to be trounced on forums or in the papers.

Best wishes,

Sean.

I've also found it to be true, more often than not, that many illustrious families connected to the case are simply not interested in discussing their family's involvement.
                              Hi Sean,

Sometimes how we approach these people can make a difference as well. Years ago somebody asked me to make contact with a family who this person thinks was descendants of Jack the Ripper. He wanted me to come straight out and say he thought their ancestor was Jack the Ripper. I explained you can't come straight out and say that as you run the risk of scaring them off. Also you have to be careful about there feelings in this matter. He was adamant and I refused. I don't think he got anywhere with them. Which is a pity.

Regards

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X