X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EEEeeewwww ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
      And it's in some noxious solution. If exhumed it would probably be a tin can full of soup.
      Why would it be? It was placed in spirits and the tin vessel was soldered shut. Museum specimens can last indefinitely.

Comment

• My copy of Cutting Point arrived today - looking forward to tucking into it ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs JBL View Post
          My copy of Cutting Point arrived today - looking forward to tucking into it ...
          I hope you will enjoy it, Mrs JBL!
          "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs JBL View Post
            My copy of Cutting Point arrived today - looking forward to tucking into it ...
            Hi Mrs JBL,

It’s an interesting book. The author is a member of this forum under his own name and posts on Casebook as ‘Fisherman’.

Let us know what you think.

Gary

(And he beat me to it by 2 mins. :-))

Comment

• Doesn't tell us anything new but it's a nice image of the railway track along Pinchin Street. The Browne and Eagle Warehouse is on the right.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks, Rob.

Have you seen this one before? It shows Charringtons coal depot that was built on Ma Lechmere’s house in Cable Street. Across the road you can see the entrance to Shovel Alley.

Attached Files

Comment

• I haven't seen that one Gary but I have seen some of the front.

Comment

• This one is a bit later.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• And this was on the Cable Street corner with Shorter Street. South side not far from Back Church Lane
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Great stuff!

Comment

• Any of Shovel Alley, Rob?

Have you seen this before?

Attached Files

Comment

• I'll have a look when I get home.
                            That one I first saw in Paul Begg's Jack the Ripper The Uncensored Facts. Its the East Side of Berner Street from Fairclough Street to Ellen Street. 1938 if I remember correctly. Got a nice copy of it somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                              I'll have a look when I get home.
                              That one I first saw in Paul Begg's Jack the Ripper The Uncensored Facts. Its the East Side of Berner Street from Fairclough Street to Ellen Street. 1938 if I remember correctly. Got a nice copy of it somewhere.
                              I came across it here, but wasn’t sure if I’d seen it before.

https://alondoninheritance.com/londo...ng-in-stepney/

Comment

• Since we're in a thread concerned with 'Lechmere’s Lair', I hope I can say that I really wish someone could come up with a photo of even one of the houses he or/and his mother is known to have lived in.

I can't help feeling we'd learn a lot just from seeing the exterior (and even more from digging up the garden...)

Mark D.

Addendum: Since I'm still not entirely convinced his Carlton Road address has been correctly located, I haven't quite let go of the hope that the surviving shop/house with the Lechmere photo brickwork is the (partly rebuilt) actual property... Anyone feel like taking another look in the records...?

Comment

Working...
                                X