No announcement yet.

Charles Lechmere’s Lair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6BS is a real mystery. Judging by what’s there now, it doesn’t seem to have had any depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post

Wildbore?
      Sorry Christer. While reading the posts I was thinking this thread topic was specifically about the area around Pinchin Street. I am off topic and apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post

Sorry Christer. While reading the posts I was thinking this thread topic was specifically about the area around Pinchin Street. I am off topic and apologize.
        I don’t think Christer was questioning the topicality of your post, Jerry, just curious to hear the Wildbore name mentioned.

Anything of interest you find about Pinchin Street or Back Church Lane - bring it on!

I’ll try and dig out the press report about the quack doctor of 6BL

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

I don’t think Christer was questioning the topicality of your post, Jerry, just curious to hear the Wildbore name mentioned.

Anything of interest you find about Pinchin Street or Back Church Lane - bring it on!

It was an 1868 case involving the theft of paper. Two men were accused of receiving the paper, James Campbell and his assistant William Almond who were both described as ‘quack doctors’. Campbell was said to dispense medicine from 6, Backchurch Lane, Whitechapel.

Comment

It was an 1868 case involving the theft of paper. Two men were accused of receiving the paper, James Campbell and his assistant William Almond who were both described as ‘quack doctors’. Campbell was said to dispense medicine from 6, Backchurch Lane, Whitechapel.
            Thanks Gary.

There is a case involving Samuel Wildbore in the papers. Two men from Wellclose Square broke some bottles in his shop.

Also regarding No. 1 BL, didn’t Edward Stow say the numbering for BL was low numbers at the Pinchin end?

Comment

Thanks Gary.

There is a case involving Samuel Wildbore in the papers. Two men from Wellclose Square broke some bottles in his shop.

Also regarding No. 1 BL, didn’t Edward Stow say the numbering for BL was low numbers at the Pinchin end?
              Yes, I think I remember that Wildbore incident.

The odd numbers ran N-S from Commercial Road, the evens S-N from Cable Street, so numbers 1 and two were at opposite ends of the street.

Edit: At least that’s my recollection from when Robert, Christer and I looked into it a while back.

Comment

Yes, I think I remember that Wildbore incident.

The odd numbers ran N-S from Commercial Road, the evens S-N from Cable Street, so numbers 1 and two were at opposite ends of the street.

Edit: At least that’s my recollection from when Robert, Christer and I looked into it a while back.
                Ah ok. Thanks for setting me straight on the numbering. That’s helpful Gary!

Comment

Ah ok. Thanks for setting me straight on the numbering. That’s helpful Gary!
                  I think I may be wrong, Jerry. I’ll check it out.

Comment

I think I may be wrong, Jerry. I’ll check it out.
                    Looks like I was wrong. Sorry!

So no. 1 would have been more or less opposite 6/8.

Comment

Looks like I was wrong. Sorry!

So no. 1 would have been more or less opposite 6/8.
                      Thanks for double checking. Makes more sense that way. To me anyway.

Comment

Exactly so, Jerry! I much prefer your knowledge to any apology you could offer!!
                        "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

• Yes no 1 was next to the pub on Cable Street - the Rising Sun and Sword - from memory.

Comment

On a side note, in the 1860's a man named Samuel Wildbore, Chemist, worked out of #1 Backchurch Lane. From Robert's research, his wife obtained the property when he died in 1864 (IIRC) then she remarried and moved to Mitre Square.
                            Hi Jerry!
                            any relation to the wildbore of torso/whitehall fame?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Hi Jerry!
                              any relation to the wildbore of torso/whitehall fame?
                              Hey Abby.

I haven't found much on Samuel Wildbore. Most of the London Wildbore's though seem to hail from nearly the same basic location. This man had an infant son that died at the BL address, coincidentally named Frederick Wildbore. There was another young man, IIRC, from Samuel's family named Frederick Wildbore. The possibility is there but I just don't know.

Comment

• The current appearance of no.6 doesn’t gel with the Goad, making me wonder whether it was altered after the map was drawn up.

No luck so far with finding the catsmeat vendors of 34, Christian St. and 22, Mary Ann St. I’ve found people who lived at those addresses around the right time but they don’t seem to fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X