No announcement yet.

Charles Lechmere’s Lair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are the later Goads I have of the spot.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks, Rob. I’m having trouble relating that to what’s there now. This I think shows 33, Cable Street (blue fence), then 2/4 BL under the DLR behind the silver fence with vicious metalwork along the top, then 6 BL a blank graffitied wall with possibly enough pavement space in front of it for there to have been once been some kind of a barrow store. So far so good…
      Attached Files

Comment

• But how does this relate to the later Goads?
        Attached Files

Comment

• After demolition of the wooden ‘shop front’ with what appears to have been a Victorian GER notice attached to it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• I think Gary that the bridge (not the DLR) has been extended south a few feet after 1890 so the southern part goes through what what was number 4 and number 3 was most of what is under the DLR bridge. The Blackwall Bridge is quite wide would there not be at least 3 properties that could fit under there? Not saying there were but there is room. Also Frederick Street had an exit around the northern side. Not sure if that went under the bridge or not., I think it did.

Comment

• Looks like any trace of Frederick Street on the Back Church Lane side would be gone.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                I think Gary that the bridge (not the DLR) has been extended south a few feet after 1890 so the southern part goes through what what was number 4 and number 3 was most of what is under the DLR bridge. The Blackwall Bridge is quite wide would there not be at least 3 properties that could fit under there? Not saying there were but there is room. Also Frederick Street had an exit around the northern side. Not sure if that went under the bridge or not., I think it did.
                Yes, I think the extension to the bridge was ca 1893.

Comment

• Would the Great Eastern Railway have an archive somewhere?

Comment

Would the Great Eastern Railway have an archive somewhere?
                    There’s a GER Society which I have emailed. No response yet.

Do you know from the scale of the Goads how wide the two shops were?

Comment

• Number 4 looks to be about 20 feet and number 2 about 18. I've placed the scale bar on it's side so it's reasonably accurate.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• So the two ‘shops’ about 30ft.

Comment

• The GERS Archive is held at the Essex Record Office in Chelmsford.

https://gersociety.org.uk/index.php/...all&Itemid=347

Comment

• Thanks for this, Rob.

Comment

• No problem. I knew there was a reason for photographing as many Goad Plans as I have.
                              I take it you mean both shops together about 30 feet so 15 feet each? On the Goad above. Above the top shop there is a semi-circle denoting a covered entrance like an archway (in fact I just noticed it says Brick arch. I presume that is either Frederick Street on it's remnants.

Comment

No problem. I knew there was a reason for photographing as many Goad Plans as I have.
                                I take it you mean both shops together about 30 feet so 15 feet each? On the Goad above. Above the top shop there is a semi-circle denoting a covered entrance like an archway (in fact I just noticed it says Brick arch. I presume that is either Frederick Street on it's remnants.
                                Looking at post 168, do you think Frederick Street was to the left or the right of the building being demolished?

I’m sure you know that Frederick Street, Brunswick Street, Henry Street and Everard Street were individually and collectively known as Tiger Bay in the 1860s.

Comment

Working...
                                X