No announcement yet.

Charles Lechmere’s Lair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It makes sense that the Torso was kept in the sheds. It's less than 100 yards to the arch where the Torso was found.
    It could have been brought up Backchurch Lane then dumped in the first arch around the corner in Pinchin Street, on the side of the arch nearest to Backchurch Lane and near to the opening on Pinchin Street. Economy of effort.
    I had thought it possible that access was obtained from the back of he arch, but I don't think the rear yards would have been easily accessible from the cat's meat sheds, and if access was gained from that direction why not dump the Torso at the back of the arch and maybe at a further down arch.
    Frederick Street wouldn't have been used - although it seems an obvious possibility, as why backtrack down Pinchin Street to dump it rather than at an arch nearer to the Frederick Street opening.

Comment

• Thanks, Ed. I think that finally nails it.

Pickfords were in Haydon Square in the 1860s.

Great teamwork. Feels a bit like the good old days. Now all that needs to be done is to confirm the Lechmere/Forsdike connection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

I was aware that the remains were interred in a metal cannister of some kind, but I didn’t know it was made at 2BL.
        -- Anyone else wondering if a DNA test to identify the victim might still be possible?

M.

Comment

• The metal cannister was sealed tight with a preserving fluid as I remember, so it's possible to get dna of it. I wonder how well preserved the remains are after 132 and wonder if there are any secrets it can give up. But the problem is it is unlikely to happen.

Comment

• Can the grave even be identified precisely?
            I think it's in East London Cemetery in Plaistow, but the area where it is has had multiple recent burials on top as the ground is much higher than the rest of the cemetery.

Comment

• It would probably be the easiest of all to find, no? Grave No. 16185 with a tin vessel. Some modern hi-tech metal detectors can go 50' down.

It probably will never happen, but if it does, I'll bet anyone here a ten spot and two pints of Guinness that she's not British.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                I'll bet anyone here a ten spot and two pints of Guinness that she's not British.
                -- ?!?!? Now there's something I wasn't expecting! I'll take that bet -- if you'll explain *why*...

M.

Comment

• I think they know roughly where she is buried and as Ed said the ground has been raised a bit but considering it's a metal cannister should be fairly easy to find.

Comment

• They wouldn't allow the graves put over the top to be disturbed.

Comment

• What's with the 'metal canister', anyway? Was there some kind of rule that said unidentified body parts couldn't be buried in coffins??

M.

Comment

• It was done to preserve the body in case there was a possibility of identifying her at a later date (probably in living memory and not 130 years later).

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          It was done to preserve the body in case there was a possibility of identifying her at a later date (probably in living memory and not 130 years later).
                          Thanks! I'm impressed that they kept the option open.

M.

Comment

• I wonder whether the killer's DNA would be available too - which could be traced through familiarial *spellcheck rqd* DNA .... or have I been watching too many crime channels ;o)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs JBL View Post
                              I wonder whether the killer's DNA would be available too - which could be traced through familiarial *spellcheck rqd* DNA .... or have I been watching too many crime channels ;o)
                              Problem is that how many people touched the body. Not just the killer but doctors, police etc.

Comment

• And it's in some noxious solution. If exhumed it would probably be a tin can full of soup.

Comment

Working...
                                X