Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Lechmere’s Lair?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    According to Henry Mayhew, the cats meat business was very lucrative.
    Yes, it seems so. Cats meat men fought each other over access to their rounds, which could be very profitable.

    Comment


    • Always good to see photos of the cast and background spear carriers, but Junior was still a kid in 1888 so it doesn't tell us much about the Lechmere bank balance back then.
      Thanks for your time,
      dusty miller

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
        Always good to see photos of the cast and background spear carriers, but Junior was still a kid in 1888 so it doesn't tell us much about the Lechmere bank balance back then.
        Perhaps not, but it tells us something about how smart a Lechmerian cats meat carter could look a few years later.

        Comment


        • The cat's meat turf wars were probably similar to the later ice cream wars involving the gangland Blundle family.

          The picture is of Thonas Allen and his wife.
          And a younger version of Thomas Allen.

          Comment


          • I dont think I you can gauge CAL's younger facial features from TAL's.
            But I think you can gauge the ikely sartorial capabilities of CAL in 1888 from those pictures.

            Comment


            • Im Intrigued by what this person who they met at the cats meat shop said to the men-'you might do a murder a minute, send a large family to the board School, and die a natural death.’

              Not being from the UK im unsure what is meant by "the board school". Did lechs kids go to the board school?

              Comment


              • The Board School is just the local school run by the School Board.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                  The Board School is just the local school run by the School Board.
                  thanks Edward
                  so the large family going to a board school both apply to lech then?

                  Comment


                  • And he died s natural death!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                      And he died s natural death!
                      he did! all right thats the final straw for me! ; )

                      Comment


                      • Case solved

                        Comment


                        • Gary will know the potential significance of this company - based in Beckton, in what was East Ham. I spotted the name on a barrier.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_220556.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	585306

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                            Gary will know the potential significance of this company - based in Beckton, in what was East Ham. I spotted the name on a barrier.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_220556.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	585306
                            Isn´t that a long dro ... I mean leap?
                            "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

                            Comment


                            • Please can someone spill the beans? The suspense is killing me ...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mrs JBL View Post
                                Please can someone spill the beans? The suspense is killing me ...
                                William Marwood was a public hangman. There’s a saying ‘If Pa killed Ma, who’d kill Pa? Marwood.’

                                Ed may have suspicions that Ma Lechmere bumped off one or more of her bigamously acquired husbands.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X