Charles Lechmere’s Lair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

No. There’s no evidence that any of the family were connected to those sheds/shops.
    Thanks Gary

Gary or Edward
    what did Edward mean by this

Given that Forsdike lived there, that he was a bookmaker, and had a step grandchild there, it seems unlikely to be anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
      I suppose the Lechmere theorists will suggest that Maria herself wrote the letter--thus it was sent to her mother to check the handwriting--but if so, does this not indicate that Maria forever wished to cut ties with the family and Herefordshire?
      Oh dear, the anti-Lechmerian desperation is almost palpable.

I appreciate your research efforts, RJ, even when they turn out (as on here and the Nicolo thread) to be of little worth, but can we try to keep the personal digs off this thread - this site?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Thanks Gary

Gary or Edward
        what did Edward mean by this
        Sorry again, Abby.

Ed was talking about 1, Mary Ann Street, Maria and Joe’s home until 1888/9. The thing we don’t know is when Maria (and therefore possibly her son) got into the cat’s meat business.

1, MA St. lay just to the north of Pinchin Street.

Comment

Sorry again, Abby.

Ed was talking about 1, Mary Ann Street, Maria and Joe’s home until 1888/9. The thing we don’t know is when Maria (and therefore possibly her son) got into the cat’s meat business.
          And "bookmaker" in Edwards post will be a favour his cellphone obliged with. Bootmaker, not bookmaker...
          "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Sorry again, Abby.

1, MA St. lay just to the north of Pinchin Street.
            Thanks again Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
              Or such a long slog with Torso over shoulder.
              I presume the body could have been dumped approaching from Frederick Street not Pinchin Street itself.
              Forsdike was ill - in the Workhouse infirmary.
              Did Old Ma catch Charlie at it?
              Where these premises searched as part of the local police search. But they woukd gave been full of bloody pieces of butchered horse flesh anyway.
              PC Pennett made this comment at the inquest:

“There was also a carriage entrance to the arch from Backchurch-lane.”

Presumably that was via the stone yard.

Comment

The man in the foreground has just passed the sheds painted pink/blue (where the graffiti is). The man lurking a bit further on is at the junction with Pinchin Street. The shrubbery is growing out of the old track bed of the viaduct, directly above the Pinchin Street arches. And the more recent building with the white painted wall to which the GAP sign is attached is presumably more or less where the carriage entrance was. There is still a gated entrance (pink and only just visible) between the GAP building and the back of the arches. Literally a stone’s throw away.

Comment

I intend to pop down to Backcurch Lane this week. It’s on the route from Spitalfields to Breezers Hill, so I’ll be able to kill several birds with one stone.

Comment

Do we have any idea of how much floor space there was inside the sheds? On the Goad it looks smallish, but there is a lot of width to the tunnel. Any ideas?
                    "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

There's a slight chance I may be able to get down for a look Friday night.

And given all the circumstances it beggars belief that Old Ma had any reason to believe JAL was dead.

Comment

I have been inside and under the track on the opposite side of the road many times. It is a veritable labyrinth.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                          There's a slight chance I may be able to get down for a look Friday night.

And given all the circumstances it beggars belief that Old Ma had any reason to believe JAL was dead.
                          If I get there before you, I’ll leave a cryptic message chalked on the wall - ‘The cats are the critters that will not be blamed for nothing’.

JAL could have turned up in Hereford in person or communicated with Ma through his cousin the cop (assuming he knew him) or someone else there at any time. Was she going to stick around to risk having her domestic bliss disturbed? Not likely! Not Ma…

;-)

Comment

Before you posted your press clipping did it not occur to you to wonder whether ‘Miss’ Lechmere, whose mother was still alive in 1852 was not Maria Lechmere (née Roulson) who by 1852 was an orphan.
                            Of course I did. Those anomalies could be explained by the newspaper not being very well informed about a little-known family.

If you don't think this is Maria, show me another Maria Lechmere living in Hereford, or connected to Hereford, in 1851/1852. I'm all ears.

There's on in Fawnhope in 1861--but she would have been only one or two years old when this letter was received in 1852. So it's not her.

There's a Harriet Maria Lechmere born in Holmer, Herefordshire, but by 1847 she is "Harriet Hall,"-- a married woman, and she goes by the name Harriet.

I think it's a reference to the woman below--who is living alone and using the name Maria Lechmere--only a year before this letter was posted.

Who do you think it is, Gary?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maria Lechmere.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	584406

Comment

Oh dear, the anti-Lechmerian desperation is almost palpable.

I appreciate your research efforts, RJ, even when they turn out (as on here and the Nicolo thread) to be of little worth, but can we try to keep the personal digs off this thread - this site?
                              It's not yet been shown that any of this is of "little worth," Gary, and as Paul Begg once pointed out, research with 'negative' results can be just as valuable as research that confirms a theory. Indeed, he lamented that more of it was not posted, as future researchers may stray down the same paths.

And in an attempt to keep 'personal digs' off this website I will indeed keep my 'desperation' and research of 'little worth' to a minimum.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

Of course I did. Those anomalies could be explained by the newspaper not being very well informed about a little-known family.

If you don't think this is Maria, show me another Maria Lechmere living in Hereford, or connected to Hereford, in 1851/1852. I'm all ears.

There's on in Fawnhope in 1861--but she would have been only one or two years old when this letter was received in 1852. So it's not her.

There's a Harriet Maria Lechmere born in Holmer, Herefordshire, but by 1847 she is "Harriet Hall,"-- a married woman, and she goes by the name Harriet.

I think it's a reference to the woman below--who is living alone and using the name Maria Lechmere--only a year before this letter was posted.

Who do you think it is, Gary?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maria Lechmere.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	584406

Here you are, RJ. The mystery solved.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X