Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hereditary Criminals : What Should We Do With Them ? ( 1892 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hereditary Criminals : What Should We Do With Them ? ( 1892 )

The Clarion
    June 25, 1892
    To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

Having done a little minor research , the only Ravachol that I can find thus is Frauncois Ravachol (born 'Koenigstein'} in 1859. He was of mixed paternal (Dutch) and maternal (French ) ethnicity. His claim to fame was as a French anarchist who was responsible for the deaths of five people by the use of high explosives-dynamite. Francois Ravachol was executed by guillotine in 1982, There are scant details of his early life. I just wonder whether this was the right person this article related to?
    Be nice to one another!
    Merv

Comment

Merv ...it is.
      I had posted a photo of him but it seems to have walkabout. I'll find it
      Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

This is Ravachol

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

How, Here is a link to a min bio on this character.
          https://www.encyclopedia.com/history...stein-ravachol.

What I don't understand is why the author of the Clarion article considered Francois to be the last in a long line of hereditary murderers. According to his family history ,neither his father Jean Adam ,, his grandfather Thomas Atone or his great grandfather, Henrike were, as far as I can ascertain executed. That aside , the writer seems to proved an answer to the initial quested that was posed in terms of management in the closing sentence of the article. Any thoughts?
          Be nice to one another!
          Merv

Comment

Merv:

I also noticed that remark about his ancestors also being executed, but I believe that that is incorrect....in fact, wildly so.
            The author appears to be cut from the same cloth as Lombroso, whose ideas on heredity and crime were both strictly 19th century.
            Are you asking me what I think of capital punishment ?

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

OK, How, In fo a penny, in for a pound as the old English saying goes . What are you views on capital punishment? Please excuse any typos. After cataract surgery I have to wait a mandatory 6 weeks before I can get my eyesight retested for new reading glasses! Until then the keyboard and typing has an element of guesswork.

Our combined sympathy to for the devastating events which unfolded in Washington DC. Probably it is best that confine my comments to this, my friend.
              Be nice to one another!
              Merv

Comment

Good luck with the recovery, Merv.

I think those who participated in the assault at the Capitol should receive hefty sentences. If they could apprehend the person or persons who murdered the police officer, they should get a date with the hot seat. I think the person who encouraged them to go to the WH and confront the 'weak' Republicans should be put in prison too. Personally, I'd like to take them all and put them on a remote island away from the American people...with a canteen and a pack of matches.

I think serial rapists should get their neck stretched. I think serial killers, if found sane, should be executed. It's not so easy anymore to be firmly on one side of the argument or the other with all the cases of prosecutorial misconduct that have surfaced in the last decade.
                Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

In total agreement with your sentiments, Boss. As a rule , I defer from commenting on the political affairs of another country, but what has occurred in America over the past day or so impacts on the whole of the world.. As far as capital punishment is concerned , having had many years of involvement with perpetrators both in the UK and OZ for the categories that you mention , all lI might say is that psychiatry never did ,nor ever will have the answer to their problems. Forget 'lethal injections' , the long drop is far more humane iMO.. From the land of drop bears,drop outs and dropkicks ,Good night Old Pal .
                  Be nice to one another!
                  Merv

Comment

Working...
                  X