Big Cats in Britain Rep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Cats in Britain Rep

This week I had both the pleasure and honour of being asked to become a representative of Big Cats in Britain in the Yorkshire region. This is an amazing honour has I have been interested in the phenomena for some years and have collected newspaper reports on local and national sightings for some years. The group is a non-profit group and collates data from sightings across the British Isles.

My Profile: http://bigcatsinbritain.zxq.net/mikecovell.htm

The Big Cats in Britain Homepage: www.bigcatsinbritain.org

The Big Cats in Britain Blog: http://britishbigcats.blogspot.com

Hi Mike

As you may know there have been reports of big cat down in Kent.

However while filming at Leeds castle I got talking to an eagle expert who had spent some time working with big cats at a well known Zoo.

He was somewhat scepticle about big cats surving wild without being detected.

Largely because of the smell.

Large cats produce a lot of ammonia mark territory and should be fairly easy for any blood hound to track?

I just wondered if you had any thoughts on these comments?

Not that I'm on any side, just interested in the subject

Yours Jeff

Comment

I personally have never seen a big cat, but I have spoke with eyewitnesses around Hull and East Yorkshire who have. These include police officers, railway workers, members of the medical profession, and workers in local transportation and their descriptions and body language all tally. I spoke to several people just this week about a sighting they had and they were terrified. It really shook them up, and they reside in a rural property that is miles from anywhere. The lady of the house was trying to convince the husband to sell up and move back to the inner city.

I have newspaper articles and eyewitness testimony from local wildlife experts and farmers who have dealt with the slain carcases of sheep and rabbits, and seen first hand, some years ago, a sheep that had puncture wounds around its neck and claw marks on its hind quarters.

We have a little moggy and when he sprays he stinks so I can only imagine the smell that big cats give off, but to date I am unaware of any local attempts to track them using bloodhounds. I am aware that during the mid 1990's the Humberside Police were tracking big cats using their helicopter as it was widely reported in the Hull Daily Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        I personally have never seen a big cat, but I have spoke with eyewitnesses around Hull and East Yorkshire who have. These include police officers, railway workers, members of the medical profession, and workers in local transportation and their descriptions and body language all tally. I spoke to several people just this week about a sighting they had and they were terrified. It really shook them up, and they reside in a rural property that is miles from anywhere. The lady of the house was trying to convince the husband to sell up and move back to the inner city.

I have newspaper articles and eyewitness testimony from local wildlife experts and farmers who have dealt with the slain carcases of sheep and rabbits, and seen first hand, some years ago, a sheep that had puncture wounds around its neck and claw marks on its hind quarters.

We have a little moggy and when he sprays he stinks so I can only imagine the smell that big cats give off, but to date I am unaware of any local attempts to track them using bloodhounds. I am aware that during the mid 1990's the Humberside Police were tracking big cats using their helicopter as it was widely reported in the Hull Daily Mail.
        Hi Mike yes theres been some pretty similar sitings and events down here.

Didnt Sir Charles Warren also conclude 'Blood Hounds'

I know its not very PC but surely the local hunt should pick up on this sort of thing rather easily. Does a big Cat cover more ground any faster than a fox?

Anyway if you get a chance to ask the question about Blood Hounds to anyone I'd be most grateful...and good luck with your search, I'm most interested in Alien invaders particularly plants and insects

Yours Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
          I'm most interested in Alien invaders particularly plants and insects, Yours Jeff
          Wow, you should meet the wife.

I will ask around, maybe speak to local breeders, see if we can secure some.

Comment

Wow, you should meet the wife.
            Your married to an Alien, cool man

PS I have my suspicions about current partner also

Comment

Both my dad and I have seen a big cat. He where I grew up in Hampshire (1994), and me in Worplesdon between Guildford and Woking (2008, I think).

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd

Comment

Philip, did you think it was a genuine live animal, or a spirit? The question might seem a bit daft, but recently I was told by a lady in Hull that when she saw the cat it looked 2 dimensional, moved, but her dogs were unfazed by it all and ignored it. She later remarked that she thought it was perhaps a ghost!

Comment

Philip, did you think it was a genuine live animal, or a spirit? The question might seem a bit daft, but recently I was told by a lady in Hull that when she saw the cat it looked 2 dimensional, moved, but her dogs were unfazed by it all and ignored it. She later remarked that she thought it was perhaps a ghost!
                  The Black Dog, is an old legend.

The shadow of Jack the Ripper, the old Hag?

Comment

Nah, definitely a 3D living animal that I saw, Mike. Daylight too. I was in a train on the way to London and we passed a field. At the far end of the field, there was something black and medium-to-large dog-sized with a long cat tail running alongside the hedge, but it didn't bound like a dog; it's gait remained level. Saw it for about three or four seconds, which is actually quite a long time when you think about it.

My dad saw it in our front garden in 1994. We lived about 50 yards from extensive woodland and there had been loads of accounts in the local press of sightings (called The Beast Of Tweseldown). He got up for a pee in the middle of the night, looked out into the garden and in the moonlight saw a dog-sized black cat with a snub round face rooting around. A few days later we found a big paw print on the patio table.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd

Comment

I once came back from the pub a little tipsy in Leigh-on sea Essex.

There was a large bird on my mohers bedroom window with long pionted ears. I watched it and it flew off..

I swear to this day it was a wild eagle owl

But perhaps I should stay off the fruit juice

Jeff

Comment

Philip, that's a pretty impressive sighting for your part, and amazing that your dad found a paw print after his sighting.

Jeff, my father in law was down at Portsmouth last year, he saw a strange bird and photographed it. The image looked like a vulture, as daft as it sounds, and he sent it to the BBC, but they could not identify it.

This morning I heard that Ernie Teal had passed away. Ernie wrote for many years for the Hull Daily Mail and had a regular column on local wildlife and the great outdoors. I have fond memories of Teal's articles from the 1990's when the Wildcat of the Wolds was being sighted around Hull. Such a sad loss.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...rue&afterReg=Y

Comment

Hi Mike,

There was another sighting reported of the 'Calderdale Big Cat' last week.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news...east_1_3986396
                          Dave
                          "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Thanks for this Dave, I will forward it on to the Big Cats in Britain team.

Comment

Working...
                            X