The Ohio Howl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohio Howl

The most high profile purported evidence for the existence of Bigfoot or Sasquatch are the rare and usually low resolution images both still and moving which allegedly show the beat.
    A neglected area is the number of recordings which allegedly preserve the call of the creature. Of course these are even more difficult to give any degree of credence to as they are a record of just an unidentified call not linked in any case (to my knowledge) to a simultaneous sighting of an unidentified creature.
    These rare recordings of alleged calls are used by researchers in so called "call blasting" - playing these calls through speakers in forest areas in the hope of eliciting a response.
    I have heard a number of these but there is one in particular which interests me. It was recorded in 1994 and is commonly known as the "Ohio Howl." The first time I heard this it was a case of the hair on the back of the neck literally standing up. I don't know what it is about this brief recording but the howl is haunting, melancholy and frankly scary.
    I am not, of course, claiming this is a true recording of the call of a Sasquatch - only trying to convey the effect it had, and still has, on me.
    You can play the recording at:
    http://www.bfro.net/avevid/mjm/ohrec.asp
    There is also a version on Youtube which included a cleaned up version on which the call is clearer:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPCcLddBekY

A little background:-
    "Near Wellsville Ohio in 1994, Matt Moneymaker recorded a loud moaning sound that would go on to become known as the Ohio Howl. Since its capture, that sound has become associated with the voice of a sasquatch vocalizing somewhere in the hills along the Ohio river. Indeed, in the years to follow, this howl would be heard and recorded in a variety of locations across North America. It has now become so well known that the Moan Howl forms the basis for many attempts by researchers to lure sasquatch into vocalizing for the recorder."
    http://sasquatchbioacoustic.blogspot...ohio-howl.html

For anyone interested, a fuller list of alleged calls including the Ohio Howl is at
    http://www.bfro.net/avevid/SierraSounds/911.asp#howls

Thanks Chris, very interesting

A couple sound like wolves to me, one with a definite "bark", another like a primate such as a howler monkey, and I've no idea about the "Samurai chatter"

I watched quite a bit of the "Swamp People" program on TV and a few times it was mentioned (by differing people) that they often hear strange animal sounds that they have no idea what it is (and state that they don't want to know)

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
      Thanks Chris, very interesting

A couple sound like wolves to me, one with a definite "bark", another like a primate such as a howler monkey, and I've no idea about the "Samurai chatter"

I watched quite a bit of the "Swamp People" program on TV and a few times it was mentioned (by differing people) that they often hear strange animal sounds that they have no idea what it is (and state that they don't want to know)
      Hi neems
      I have watched all four series of the Monster Quest series and they use call blasting a lot in that and I have also seen some comments along the line you mentioned about witnesses not wanting to know what it was that made the noise. One of the most interesting episodes (which actually had a followup program) was about a very remote fishing cabin on a lake in Canada. This cabin can only be reached by plane landing on the lake - there are no roads and the lake is not accessible on foot. The nearest town is 200 miles away. But this cabin has been repeatedly pelted with stones and loud thumps on the side heard when fishing parties are staying there. Cries and howls are heard ni the surrounding woods especially at nigh. On one occasion the cabin was completely trashed during the period when bears (the only other creatures deemed capable of that level of destruction) would be in deep hibernation in that area.
      Just found this resume of the episode:
      "MonsterQuest's episode entitled Sasquatch Attacks took an in depth look at the possible Sasquatch encounters at a fishing cabin in Snell Grove Lake Ontario, Canada Though the episode did not find any conclusive evidence it provided a lot of information about the possible existence of Sasquatch.

In 2003, several instances occurred at a fishing cabin on Snell Grove Lake that have been attributed to the creature known as Sasquatch. Chuck Mosbeck owns the only single cabin fishing camp on this remote lake that in located 250 miles north of Ottawa. The cabin is accessible only by float plane. Mosbeck has video of damage that was done to the cabin while it was unoccupied. This damage included overturned appliances and sink fixtures being ripped off the wall. To prevent this from happening again, Mosbeck used a common bear deterrent at the front door. He placed a board with numerous protruding screws down outside the door. He later found the board to be bloodied as if something had stepped on it.

Joe Frascella had an incident occur at the same cabin while visiting in 2003. While fishing at the cabin, Frascella and friends felt that they were being watched all day. In the evening, they heard the sounds of pieces of wood being knocked together. Later that evening, they felt the cabin being shaken and scream like sounds outside."

the full and much longer article is at
      http://voices.yahoo.com/the-monsterq...634.html?cat=7

The episode is on Youtube in 4 parts the first of which is
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3y52RA5DQ

Comment

Thanks Chris

I might have time to watch that now

I recall seeing a program which had some of the scariest descriptions of Sasquatch encounters along the lines you mention with large rocks being thrown at cabins by groups of Sasquatch, sightings of the creatures leaping tall fences and the like

Wasn't there someone who stated that the Sasquatch visited them and "spoke" and ate with them etc?

Comment

Hi Chris

Sorry to be a bit skeptical, but I don't really trust that documentary at all

For example, during the rock throwing you never saw all the people in shot at once

The DNA result is very dubious and there was obvious contamination of the samples during the doc

I don't see why the trail camera isn't utilised more to photograph the cabin attacker

It reminded me of one of those Ghost hunting programmes where something always happens

A while back there were DNA tests done on numerous samples of Sasquatch artefacts and the conclusion was similar, that the Sasquatch was an early hominid - though the quality of the samples and testing, and the results and conclusions are generally considered unscientific and basically useless

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
            Hi Chris

Sorry to be a bit skeptical, but I don't really trust that documentary at all

For example, during the rock throwing you never saw all the people in shot at once

The DNA result is very dubious and there was obvious contamination of the samples during the doc

I don't see why the trail camera isn't utilised more to photograph the cabin attacker

It reminded me of one of those Ghost hunting programmes where something always happens

A while back there were DNA tests done on numerous samples of Sasquatch artefacts and the conclusion was similar, that the Sasquatch was an early hominid - though the quality of the samples and testing, and the results and conclusions are generally considered unscientific and basically useless
            Absolutely right to be sceptical.. as am I and there are many problems with many of these stories
            There is a follow up to this program in the next series when they send another camera crew who stay there overnight
            I'll try and find a link for it

Comment

Working...
            X